Razer Black Widow

Donut417

I had $1500 to build a new machine and I have around $127 left from that budget. So I thought maybe a nice keyboard to go with my new build. I was looking at the Back Widow on newegg and it looks cool. By the way I have never owned a mechanical keyboard in my life. I have no clue on what Switches I would like. So wanted to see if any one here owned one and what you thought.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I had never owned a mechanical keyboard but I do know that there is a guide by overclock.net that explains all the different kinds of mechanical switches and how they are different from each other: www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I wouldn't get a blackwidow, if you can't fit room in your budget for a Ducky go with what ever Quickfire you like.

I would recommend to pick other brand than razer. From experience, the durability is not as great as some other company. I would suggest CM quickfire or the pro or the storm one.

There are other good brands that you can get if backlit keyboard is not a must to have for you.

I think Ducky would be out of my budget. I did look at the cooler master keyboards but I really didnt see one I like. What about some thing like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816002

I know Corsair normal doesn't produce crap. It cost around the same as the black widow, acutally I think its a few bucks cheaper.

I have the older model of the Blackwidow Ultimate (blue LED version) and I gotta say I love the keyboard. The build quality is top notch and I love the MX blue switches, although they are pretty loud. If I were you I'd do some research on mechanical keyboards (that OCN link mgsstar posted is a great resource) and find which switch you think will suit your needs best. Then choose a keyboard with those switches.

I looked at that. Honestly from the description blue switches seems to be like the average keyboard according to that link. So blues would probably be the best if they are similar to what I have in terms of feel. Most of the time I have ear buds in or a headset on. Part of the reason I was looking at the Black Widow is because I have the Razer DeathAdder mouse and it gets the job done. Ive owned some Logitech Mice how are their keyboards? Do they offer and Mechanical ones?

I looked at that. Honestly from the description blue switches seems to be like the average keyboard according to that link. So blues would probably be the best if they are similar to what I have in terms of feel. Most of the time I have ear buds in or a headset on. Part of the reason I was looking at the Black Widow is because I have the Razer DeathAdder mouse and it gets the job done. Ive owned some Logitech Mice how are their keyboards? Do they offer and Mechanical ones?
Razer - Great Mouses, Shit keyboards. for $127 i would get a corsair k90 or coolermaster's trigger if you are unable to stretch your budget 20 bucks to include a ducky.

I'd recommend getting another keyboard other than the Black Widow. CM Storm, SteelSeries, Ducky, Das, Cherry, lots of good keyboard brands that make better keyboards than the Black Widow.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Which Blackwidow are you looking at specifically? The original ones (glossy body + blue backlight) tend to have issues. This has given Blackwidows a terrible reputation. The new 2013 editions and tournament edition (matte body + green backlight) seem to be better.

The 2013 edition was the one I was looking at.

Only time will tell, they are relatively new, but given the bad quality control reputation with Razer keyboards, i really wouldn't get them.

The primary issue with BW2013 seems to be more on the software side...Synapse 2.0 causing all kinds of fun. Otherwise, don't be scared off...The physical keyboard should be fine (although there are always exceptions).

Thanks Toby. Well I decide to take the chance on the Blackwidow. I can deal with Software issues, the fact is I got a razer mouse and Never had issues with the new drivers and I really dont care about the extras in terms of programmable buttons. Ill let you all know what I think when it arrives with the rest of my computer parts in about a week or so.

I know its a little over your budget but i have a Logitech G710+ and its a fantastic keyboard. I had a razer blackwidow (none 2013) and it was excellent also but i love my G710+ a lot more. Plus if your new to the mech keyboard market then brown switches are a great place to start since they are mix between black and blue and imo with experience of blue and browns i prefer browns but for mech keyboards are very personal taste.

I know its a little over your budget but i have a Logitech G710+ and its a fantastic keyboard. I had a razer blackwidow (none 2013) and it was excellent also but i love my G710+ a lot more. Plus if your new to the mech keyboard market then brown switches are a great place to start since they are mix between black and blue and imo with experience of blue and browns i prefer browns but for mech keyboards are very personal taste.
yea mx brown switches are in the middle. Darvey, a user in this forum has made a graph comparing these switches: http://www.gamersedge.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Switches2.png

His guide is also on this forum: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/computer-hardware/peripherals/18343-cherry-mx-mechanical-switch-guide

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Kinda purchased the BlackWidow. I wanted to get my machine up and running. In order to do that, the stuff has to be bought and paid for. I just decided I was done waiting. But thanks for the help.

I've had my Razer BlackWidow (pre-2013 model) for about 4-5 months now, and I'm very happy. I love this keyboard, and I would definitely recommend it.

P.S. Typing on a mechanical keyboard is amazing.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I have the BlackWidow 2013 edition and I love it!

I have the BlackWidow Ultimate 2012. Not to impressed with it. I have only had it for about 6 months and a few of the back lights on my keys have died and a few of the keys have kinda lost its tactical feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

the blackwidow ultimate 2013 has been chosen by many the best keyboard of the year the only downside being price so yeah.... plus i personnaly LOVE razer but that is just oppinion

Filco is the way to go if you squeeze in a few extra bucks. However, CM Storm is a good alternative since it is from the same factory as Filco.

i5 4670K | Noctua NH-D14 | Z87 Gryphon + Armor Kit | ASUS R9-280X | Corsair 350D | Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | XFX Black Edition 80+ Gold 750W | Dell P2314H 

My brother has one and I hate it. It just feels mushy and gross to type on. They don't use stock cherry switches, they do something very bad to them before putting them in.

I have the old BlackWidow and I think it's fine. The glossy finish does bother me though. I got this at a discount price, but if I didn't get this on sale I would have bought a different brand.

I bought the blackwidow as my first mechannical keyboard around 6 months ago, since I wanted a mecanical keyboard with macro keys, this was the only one in an affordable pricerange for me. I have to say I'm very pleased with it! Have read a lot of negative comments on the blackwidow, but I cannot see what would make another keyboard, of another brand that much better.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, (but from personal experience, not something you "heard from a friend") =)