Are the people at HP high....?

Luke

You keep coming back to the sata cable thing, but HP test all their PC in the factory before they leave,  getting a pc with the sata cable detached would be like buying a car with the fuel line not connected.  It just isn't going to pass quality control.

If you actually look at the statistics, companies like HP, dell, lenovo, etc have lower failure rates than white box manufacturers (which include people like carey, custom builders and small time computer shops).

It might be from 2012m but things are only getting better with regard to hardware failure rates and quality control. Also the biggest failure rate in pcs are motherboards and hdd's, which is something you are not going to avoid by building your own let alone avoiding prebuilts.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/131739-microsoft-analyzes-over-a-million-pc-failures-results-shatter-enthusiast-myths

I keep coming back to the Sata cable thing because it proves that HP are cutting corners. You said that HP test all the PC's before they leave their factory, then how did a disconnected Sata cable pass quality control? It shows that the first time the PC is booted up is not in the factory, but rather when the consumer boots it up for the first time. And as you said the components with the highest failure rates are motherboards and HDD's, but by building your own computer you can choose components which are from reliable brands and have good reviews, whereas with pre-builds, no one really knows where they source their components.

Have to agree with the other members stating that Carey is somewhat unlikable.

I live in the same state as that man, and please do not think that most of us are like him lmao.

While he does have some good material in his videos, it's awfully hard not to get tired of his bashing nonsense that lasts for at least 30 minutes per episode. His editing skills are horrible, and his videos are too drawn out. Basically, 10 minutes of actual work in an hour long video... Combined with his baseless rants, it infuriates me sometimes.

I noticed that he disabled comments in some of his videos, and said something like this in the video description: "Comments are disabled to prevent the unruly students from disrupting the class." What a tool.

P.S. I work in a tech support position in my retail store, and I can confirm that a lot of those HP computers do come into the store for some kind of service. However, it is very unlikely that it's a hardware issue. I want to say, at least in my experience, 85% of them are in for virus removals. And the customers that bring them in, are the exact demographic that @mr moose is describing. Many of those computers have survived for an average of maybe 3 years or so, and don't really show signs of failure yet.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

What an excellent PC. How high can i overclock my processor and graphics card with that beast?

what graphics card ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've always wondered this: Why aren't shitty consumer grade towers SFF? Especially that one. I mean there's no purpose in having such a huge case, if there's no expansion or internal PSU, and the CPU doesn't kick out much heat... Make it smaller, everyone saves a little money and average joes don't have to have this enormous thing under the desk

doesn't look as powerful to said average idio- erhm Joe. And I suppose the manufacturing process is cheaper.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So you're telling me you think HP individually installs the OS onto every machine specifically? You know with a mass produced product you install an image from a single finished product across every new drive used to assemble more machines. They have mass hard drive cloners for a reason. The drive is done once it leaves the cloner. It is ready to boot. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0Y5-0001-000D8&cm_re=hard_drive_duplicator-_-0Y5-0001-000D8-_-Product

Did I say someone installs the OS on every drive?

I keep coming back to the Sata cable thing because it proves that HP are cutting corners. You said that HP test all the PC's before they leave their factory, then how did a disconnected Sata cable pass quality control? It shows that the first time the PC is booted up is not in the factory, but rather when the consumer boots it up for the first time. And as you said the components with the highest failure rates are motherboards and HDD's, but by building your own computer you can choose components which are from reliable brands and have good reviews, whereas with pre-builds, no one really knows where they source their components.

It proves nothing,  he makes it sounds like every HP product is going to implode as soon as the owner gets it.  That is not the case,  IF and I mean IF that sata cable was genuinely not connected when he got it then it would be the one in a million unit like it.  You only have to look at product failure statistics to  see that these products are not massive failures, they are simply cheap basic pcs for basic tasks.  There is nothing to indicate the hardware is low quality.   That is an assumption you and some others have made. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Did I say someone installs the OS on every drive?

It proves nothing,  he makes it sounds like every HP product is going to implode as soon as the owner gets it.  That is not the case,  IF and I mean IF that sata cable was genuinely not connected when he got it then it would be the one in a million unit like it.  You only have to look at product failure statistics to  see that these products are not massive failures, they are simply cheap basic pcs for basic tasks.  There is nothing to indicate the hardware is low quality.   That is an assumption you and some others have made. 

Well the price indicates that the parts are of low quality. If HP can build computers for prices that low and still make the huge profits that they do, then obviously they are cutting corners when it comes the quality of the components they use.

Well the price indicates that the parts are of low quality. If HP can build computers for prices that low and still make the huge profits that they do, then obviously they are cutting corners when it comes the quality of the components they use.

http://www.supplychainbrain.com/content/research-analysis/supply-chain-innovation-awards/single-article-page/article/hp-shows-how-to-outsource-production-while-keeping-control-over-suppliers-1/

They are big enough to outsource manufacturing while maintaining control of product supply.  Their contract manufactures don't even get to order the parts let alone know how much they cost. HP do it all.   This allows them to demand a good price using mass purchase leverage whilst maintain both  supply and quality.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

http://www.supplychainbrain.com/content/research-analysis/supply-chain-innovation-awards/single-article-page/article/hp-shows-how-to-outsource-production-while-keeping-control-over-suppliers-1/

They are big enough to outsource manufacturing while maintaining control of product supply.  Their contract manufactures don't even get to order the parts let alone know how much they cost. HP do it all.   This allows them to demand a good price using mass purchase leverage whilst maintain both  supply and quality.

So, according you your logic, pre-builds are better value than building your own PC and they use better quality components, that have lower failure rates then custom built PC's. So why do people even build their own computers if these pre-builds seem to be of such great value?

HP makes crappy ass computers. Had 3. All had a major failure within 1 1/2 years. HP!!!!! GO OUT OF BUISINESS ALREADY!!!

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

You know what, I am going to build the rest of my computers from now on if possible. They are cheaper, not overwelmed with crapware, and are ACTUALLY UPGRADEABLE. Custon built computers also don't have some old ass components that are on the verge of obselecne with you buy the PC in the first place. There are some good companies out there, but you never know....................................

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

HP are only good for there enterprise class stuff. For home stuff, avoid them! (especially there pavillion G laptops)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

HP are only good for there enterprise class stuff. For home stuff, avoid them! (especially there pavillion G laptops)

Their old Pavillion DV6 line from around 2009 seems to be good, though the cooling isn't the best. The Phenom 1.66GHz/ M Radeon HD 4650 model gets really hot and loud, and its tiny fan and heatsink need to be cleaned almost every month.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Still have a HP computer running from 2005-ish.

Well Linus doesn't actually outright criticize a product or company that often, but then again he probably doesn't actually see a need to. (He really ripped into the R7 240-that was needed)

Story to dig this up. Linus often citizens products, probably most. He just doesn't do it for the sake of doing it.

So, according you your logic, pre-builds are better value than building your own PC and they use better quality components, that have lower failure rates then custom built PC's. So why do people even build their own computers if these pre-builds seem to be of such great value?

try not to strawman and  keep this in context of the unit we are discussing..

You claim HP are using low quality parts, I merely pointed out you have no proof of that, I also linked to an article explaining why you cannot not even know how much the parts cost so making claims about them I.E "If HP can build computers for prices that low and still make the huge profits that they do" are erroneous.  you do not know if they are even making profit of these computers.

Why is it so hard to accept?  this specific PC fills a market niche that cannot be filled with any DIY solution.  The fact it is the most basic of pc's does not make it low quality, instead of putting words in my mouth (trying to insinuate I think ALL prebuilds are better value than DIY) how about you find some evidence that these units are failing at a higher rate than any other. I have already linked to an article showing that the branded boxes have a lower failure rate than any other system so it is not actually beyond reason to claim they are of a higher quality in many respects.

try not to strawman and  keep this in context of the unit we are discussing..

You claim HP are using low quality parts, I merely pointed out you have no proof of that, I also linked to an article explaining why you cannot not even know how much the parts cost so making claims about them I.E "If HP can build computers for prices that low and still make the huge profits that they do" are erroneous.  you do not know if they are even making profit of these computers.

Why is it so hard to accept?  this specific PC fills a market niche that cannot be filled with any DIY solution.  The fact it is the most basic of pc's does not make it low quality, instead of putting words in my mouth (trying to insinuate I think ALL prebuilds are better value than DIY) how about you find some evidence that these units are failing at a higher rate than any other. I have already linked to an article showing that the branded boxes have a lower failure rate than any other system so it is not actually beyond reason to claim they are of a higher quality in many respects.

Look up a few posts, I do believe that someone has actually had some experience with then, and found that they use Toshiba HDD that are actually made by Hitachi, which commonly around the 5 month period seem to have a lot of issues (head crashes seem to be the most common problem). If that's not low quality I don't know what is.

PMSL

Look up a few posts, I do believe that someone has actually had some experience with then, and found that they use Toshiba HDD that are actually made by Hitachi, which commonly around the 5 month period seem to have a lot of issues (head crashes seem to be the most common problem). If that's not low quality I don't know what is.

I think you will find Hitachi drives in many computer brands.  We all know they aren't as good as seagate or WD, however what are the RMA rates for these prebuilts?  have you got evidence they are failing at a higher rate than any other system?  Not only have I already said that the most common failure point is hdd's but I have linked to an article that shows branded prebuilts as having a lower return rate compared to whitebox (which is basically everything that does not carry a registered brand name including custom pc builders).

I think you will find Hitachi drives in many computer brands.  We all know they aren't as good as seagate or WD, however what are the RMA rates for these prebuilts?  have you got evidence they are failing at a higher rate than any other system?  Not only have I already said that the most common failure point is hdd's but I have linked to an article that shows branded prebuilts as having a lower return rate compared to whitebox (which is basically everything that does not carry a registered brand name including custom pc builders).

Its Hitachi, rebranded as Toshiba, ergo the very high chance that they were rejects. And I looked at the amount of people reporting problems with the HDD itself (bought it seperately etc), and most were actually about head crashes.

PMSL

Its Hitachi, rebranded as Toshiba, ergo the very high chance that they were rejects.

So you have no links then?

All I am asking is for people to support their claims that these computers are actually a lower quality by showing me the return rates and how they are worse than any other brand/build. It seems no one can do that,  but they are happy to keep making assumptions about them.

So you have no links then?

All I am asking is for people to support their claims that these computers are actually a lower quality by showing me the return rates and how they are worse than any other brand/build. It seems no one can do that,  but they are happy to keep making assumptions about them.

Newegg, and not everyone on there has no knowledge of computers. Read the reviews and actually read the posts, this was on page 6:

What's the HDD's model? Because I'm curious as to how bad it is.

It actually has a Toshiba 500gb 7200rpm in it. Not certain of the model because my friend is still using it while the new components are being delivered. It has a Samsung DDR3/1600 CAS11 4gb stick. And I'm not sure of the Optical Drive specs.

I nearly died of laughter when he brought me this computer to see if we could upgrade it to play WoW better... I first saw the laptop PSU... No expansion slots... then I cracked it open and literally broke out in obnoxious laughter!

Does it look like this? (and its got some interesting reviews as well):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149380

Edit: the most common failure time is around 5 months apparently.

Looks just like that lol. He's on a major budget so we have to make do with whatever we can for now.

I told him to order the Pentium G3258(Pentium-K), ASRock z97 Anniversary, EVGA Bronze 500w PSU, Corsair SPEC-03. I'm going to throw the HDD, the 4gb RAM, and the Optical drive from this clunker in the new rig.

Then, we'll be adding a R9-270x or a GTX-750ti. And a few case fans + a PWM fan hub. And sadly, a new OS because I can not transfer the OS from a pre-built PC...  :(

PMSL

Some of them were probably high when they made this

-snip-

wtf  :blink:

PMSL

Newegg, and not everyone on there has no knowledge of computers. Read the reviews and actually read the posts, this was on page 6:

So all you got is some anecdotal evidence then.  That's not evidence. you can find negative comments about any product on the internet.

So all you got is some anecdotal evidence then.  That's not evidence. you can find negative comments about any product on the internet.

Right....anecdotal evidence that actual describes the specific fault, and that it happens around the 5 month period. Face it, those HDD have a failure rate reminiscent of the early 90's.

PMSL

Right....anecdotal evidence that actual describes the specific fault, and that it happens around the 5 month period. Face it, those HDD have a failure rate reminiscent of the early 90's.

Do you understand what anecdotal means?  You cannot verify the quantitative extent of those posts, even if every one of them was 100% accurate, it still may only represent 1-2% of the total units sold which would give them the same failure rate as seagate or WD.  Or it might be the other way around.  That is why we do not rely on anecdotal evidence,  you must provide evidence that is properly quantified and qualified.

Again, show me where this HP desktop has a higher failure rate than any other.  

The stream 11/13 is pretty nice.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11