Has anyone ever used a usb fingerprint reader?

Nattan

Well I used to have one built into my laptop and it was awesome, I never had to remember any passwords just swipe my finger and it would auto enter it and each finger was a different password or a quick application launch. I am currently looking for one with some decent software behind it, if you guys have any recommendations as for one I would appreciate it.

Edit:

Posted Today, 09:27 PM

I think you guys are missing the point here, I m not asking if i should do it. I was asking if you guys know of any good readers that have decent software behind it, example the options to integrate with Windows Biometric Framework, open apps based off which finger was swiped, store multiple users and other options in that regard.

IMO the best security prevention is keeping them from the actual computer, so I do have good locks and solid doors. 

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

its more for easy of access not keeping people out, and it allows me to let other people use my computer with out divulging my passwords or making guest accounts

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

hmm... You could buy a keyboard with macro keys and do a little login macro. Tell them not to press those buttons or pc will bsod or something scary.

Oh, I know. A keyboard with profiles. This time, don't mention there is profiles when you're showing off your new keyboard.

Never thought about finger print scanners before..

if u do use one make sure u leave the abillity to unlock with a password to not just the reader cause if it breaks or u loose it ur fucked

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

if u do use one make sure u leave the abillity to unlock with a password to not just the reader cause if it breaks or u loose it ur fucked

That's actually more scary than someone beating the reader.

That's actually more scary than someone beating the reader.

ya ur best bet is just blow up the computer then no body get ur info and buy a new one everytime u need a computer at least thats what i would do ----- but ya ur best bet is just a regular password 

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

hmm... You could buy a keyboard with macro keys and do a little login macro. Tell them not to press those buttons or pc will bsod or something scary.

Oh, I know. A keyboard with profiles. This time, don't mention there is profiles when you're showing off your new keyboard.

Never thought about finger print scanners before..

i macro my email on every thing its a pain to type that thing in every 15 min

I think you guys are missing the point here, I m not asking if i should do it. I was asking if you guys know of any good readers that have decent software behind it, example the options to integrate with Windows Biometric Framework, open apps based off which finger was swiped, store multiple users and other options in that regard.

IMO the best security prevention is keeping them from the actual computer, so I do have good locks and solid doors. 

My Setup:

This seems decent, haven't tried it though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueMe-Secure-Fingerprint-Reader-Software/dp/B006YG9MU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373345370&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+fingerprint+scanner

http://support.authentec.com/Downloads.aspx

This software?! I'm not sure o.O haha XD

If you would like more functionality, like remembering passwords for websites or starting applications by swiping certain fingers, think about trialling TrueSuite software from their website (around £10 to buy if you like it) or do a Google for "free fingerprint reader software" and you should be able to find a freebie.

Simple, yet very good scanner - feels more solid than on pictures, special rubber bottom prevents it from moving at all! Do not worry about drivers, as windows 7x64 recognized it without a problem. For the time being I am using this as windows logon only - will try the software later - you can get the free upek software from their site.

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Old days when usb fingerprint reader were "hot", I read from some review that they got inaccurate over time. So that even clean they didn't regonize fingers. I admit I've got reader on my laptop also and it has been useful. It's also sometimes annoying when it doesn't read my fingers. Once it lost all its drivers and login data. Meaning my master pw got lost and I had to unlock it throught recovery. How about getting barcode reader instead ;)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv