Windows 7, Multiple users, auto login for admin account?

evanscooter
Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,

Just follow the official steps: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872306.aspx

1. Click Start, type netplwiz, and then press Enter.
2. In the User Accounts dialog box, click the account you want to automatically log on to.If it is available, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box.
3. Click OK. 
4. In the Automatically Log On dialog box, enter the user’s password twice and click OK. 

So if you have more than one user account in windows. On boot up, it will give you the option to choose a user account to login into. Is there a way to setup up windows to do this automatically... set it up so it will login into one user account by default. I would like this because I will be using my main user account 99% of the time. And if I had to, I could always switch users once logged in to get to the other account when needed. 

Thank you for your input.

Lock it on that specific account? I think it saves what account it's locked on when you reboot. Not sure...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

So if you have more than one user account in windows. On boot up, it will give you the option to choose a user account to login into. Is there a way to setup up windows to do this automatically... set it up so it will login into one user account by default. I would like this because I will be using my main user account 99% of the time. And if I had to, I could always switch users once logged in to get to the other account when needed. 

Thank you for your input.

If you have more than one user on a computer than it will always boot up to the "user choice screen". What is the point of having windows log onto your admin account automatically after start up/reseting if the other user can just restart the computer and access your admin account?

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

If you have more than one user on a computer than it will always boot up to the "user choice screen". What is the point of having windows log onto your admin account automatically after start up/reseting if the other user can just restart the computer and access your admin account?

I'm not worried of someone logging into it while physically at it. This machine would be in my office and for now will act as file server.  The second account would be setup so family/friends can have access to  specific shared drives contain only movies on it from another machine in the house as a HTPC. So the second account really will only be used for network sharing which won't have full access to my main pc in the office.

Try the following at your own risk as you will be playing with registry files. Create a restore point and registry backup just in case (if you don't know how to do this, this may be above your skill level). 

If you're not afraid to mess with registry values, try this:

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENT VERSION/WINLOGON

2. Modify AutoAdminLogon from 0 to 1.
3. Add new string value and name it 'DefaultPassword' (without quotes). Modify it to include the password for the account you'll want to log in. If it's blank, leave it blank.

4. Add new string value and name it 'DefaultUserName' (without quotes). Modify it to include the account name you need to log in with.

Cheers!

Try the following at your own risk as you will be playing with registry files. Create a restore point and registry backup just in case (if you don't know how to do this, this may be above your skill level). 

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/WINLOGIN

2. Modify AutoAdminLogin from 0 to 1.

3. Add new string value and name it 'DefaultPassword' (without quotes). Modify it to include the password for the account you'll want to log in. If it's blank, leave it blank.

4. Add new string value and namie it 'DefaultUserName' (without quotes). Modify it to include the account name you need to log in with.

Cheers!

Thanks but I had no luck after rebooting after making the change. Tried under path HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CurrentVersoon/WINLOGIN

AutoAdminLogin didn't exist so I created it and changed it to 1 and added the other two string values as stated.

Just follow the official steps: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872306.aspx

2. In the User Accounts dialog box, click the account you want to automatically log on to.If it is available, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box.
3. Click OK. 
4. In the Automatically Log On dialog box, enter the user’s password twice and click OK. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

3. Click OK. 

Thanks! exactly what I needed. My main user account will login automatically while locally on the machine. Yet if anyone else connects to it over the LAN... credentials are needed to gain access.

PS, "nfinity"  was an account I made when I didn't think I already had this account on this forum. Forgot I was logged onto it from my other machine. sorry for any confusing.  Thanks again!

PS, "nfinity"  was an account I made when I didn't think I already had this account on this forum. Forgot I was logged onto it from my other machine. sorry for any confusing.  Thanks again!

Thanks but I had no luck after rebooting after making the change. Tried under path HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CurrentVersoon/WINLOGIN

AutoAdminLogin didn't exist so I created it and changed it to 1 and added the other two string values as stated.

That's odd, it worked on the other machines I've used. I'm glad you got it figured out, though. Just for reference, what version of windows are you on so I'll know what this may not work on in the future?

That's odd, it worked on the other machines I've used. I'm glad you got it figured out, though. Just for reference, what version of windows are you on so I'll know what this may not work on in the future?

Well I actually tried it on two machines with no luck unless I'm doing it wrong. There was no folder 'Winlogin' under the path you listed... HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENT VERSION/WINLOGIN.  I found 'Winlogin' one more folder deep... HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CurrentVersion/WINLOGIN. And as I said before at least for me, AutoAdminLogin didn't exist on either machine so I just created the string value in WINLOGIN. 

​Both machines are running Windows 7 64bit sp1. One was ultimate and the other was professional if it makes a difference. What version are you running or do you believe I made a mistake? Would like to try your method again.... just for another way. thanks 

Well I actually tried it on two machines with no luck unless I'm doing it wrong. There was no folder 'Winlogin' under the path you listed... HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENT VERSION/WINLOGIN.  I found 'Winlogin' one more folder deep... HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CurrentVersion/WINLOGIN. And as I said before at least for me, AutoAdminLogin didn't exist on either machine so I just created the string value in WINLOGIN. 

​Both machines are running Windows 7 64bit sp1. One was ultimate and the other was professional if it makes a difference. What version are you running or do you believe I made a mistake? Would like to try your method again.... just for another way. thanks 

Actually I found the mistake, it was my fault for making typos late at night. Try AutoAdminLogon instead of AutoAdminLogin. My apologies for confusion/mistake there. I edited my original post to clean out the typos.

Actually I found the mistake, it was my fault for making typos late at night. Try AutoAdminLogon instead of AutoAdminLogin. My apologies for confusion/mistake there. I edited my original post to clean out the typos.

Ah, no worries. I'll try it again on another machine this evening once out of work, thanks 

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENT VERSION/WINLOGON

2. Modify AutoAdminLogon from 0 to 1.

4. Add new string value and name it 'DefaultUserName' (without quotes). Modify it to include the account name you need to log in with.

Cheers!

This method also works on a computer that is joined to a Domain Controller - The netplwiz method does not.

Also, FYI, the password is stored in plaintext in the registry. For the OP, that might be fine, but this is just a general FYI, for computer security awareness.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This method also works on a computer that is joined to a Domain Controller - The netplwiz method does not.

Also, FYI, the password is stored in plaintext in the registry. For the OP, that might be fine, but this is just a general FYI, for computer security awareness.

Thanks for the heads up

That was it! Have it working! Thanks