LGBT community

carguy86
Just now, Bhav said:

I just tried to think of the most annoying and irritating video to shipost, and it was too easy.

Are we posting vintage memes now? Because as far as vintage memes go, you can't beat this.

1 hour ago, Daring said:

I wonder if I could install windows onto my Nvidia Shield. Probably not because it only has 2 Gb ram.

Linus is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I wonder if I could install windows onto my Nvidia Shield. Probably not because it only has 2 Gb ram.

I just installed windows on a tablet I found in the trash

And my venue 8 runs windows really well, 2GB RAM

26 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Probably not, because ARM.

Just now, Nicholatian said:

IMHO ARM Assembly > x86 Assembly. I always thought ARM ASM was prettier to look at, but maybe that’s just my interactive disassembler making things posh. :P

I've only ever looked at x86 and Game Boy assembly so I wouldn't know.

2 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

IMHO ARM Assembly > x86 Assembly. I always thought ARM ASM was prettier to look at, but maybe that’s just my interactive disassembler making things posh. :P

Off topic, but love the avatar.

The only assembly I've looked at was MIPS, and perhaps a little for the Z80 (Game Boy). I don't much like programming myself, though I've given it several tries.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Do you mean Z80 assembly or GBA ARM assembly? Z80 is a lot like x86, just cut down.

Fun fact: The Nintendo 3DS has all of the necessary hardware built in to run both NDS games and GBA games too. It has an ARM7TDMI CPU for GBA and NDS, an ARM9 CPU for mainline NDS and 3DS security, and an ARM11 MPCore for mainline 3DS.

Bet you guys didn’t know such a small console has so many CPUs like that. :P

Z80 assembly, since it was for the OG Game Boy.

Also, the Atari Jaguar had something around 5 CPUs, most of which were actually... 32-bit.

Believe it or not, every CPU in the 3DS has a 32-bit address space, including the ARM7 chip. All processors support both 16-bit and 32-bit instructions.

Interesting.

Also, I was thinking about the Saturn, which had 8 CPUs. The Jaguar had two 32-bit CPUs that worked together and apparently that made it 64-bit.

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

Believe it or not, every CPU in the 3DS has a 32-bit address space, including the ARM7 chip. All processors support both 16-bit and 32-bit instructions.

For the time, I was rather impressed with the GPU in the system. Up to that point, had not seen a handheld system perform enhancements and effects such as SSAA (2x2, or 2x1, 1x2), normal maps and self-shadowing (still rare to see on mobile games). If I recall, the system's RAM had about a 6.4 GB/s bandwidth, making it very fast compared to the iPhone 3GS.

The displays, not counting the 3D aspect, were pretty standard of the time as well, again, very comparable to the iPhone 3GS.

My eyes see the past…

8 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

In my experience developing for the 3DS, it can be a bit of a chore to get a 2D system going, because so much of the hardware caters to 3D graphics.

Personally, I am really excited for the Nintendo NX, as rumour has it that it will have a 64-bit AArch64 CPU and an Nvidia GPU too. Super stoked for that :)

I really want to design my own system someday, picking out what CPU I want, configuring the peripherals and basically doing a prototype build of my own design. xD

I believe the PS1 was also like that where the hardware was designed primarily to move beyond 2D. As such, the 2d was probably achieved through the use of flat polygons and camera angle. 

What was interesting about the NDS, each display had it's own 2D engine (based on the GBA 2D engine) , with 3D graphics driven by a single engine, rendering a single frame at a time. Running 3D on both displays was extraordinary slow as both frames needed to be rendered separate before being sent to their respective 2D engines. 

That lack of texture filtering though. Looks like Minecraft threw up on Pokémon Black/White. 

My eyes see the past…

23 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Question: What sort of low-level experience do you have with these things?

I know ARMv4T assembly and unforunately haven’t fully learned 32-bit ARMv4, let alone later revisions of ARM. I have some colleagues who also know ARM ASM, and others who work with Z80. While my assembly knowledge isn’t excellent I have enough of a grasp of the assembler to know how a lot of concepts in C++ are implemented under the hood, so I can make more efficient, better high-level code.

At the moment, I want to find out how the C++ constexpr handles pointer types… my hunch (and hope) is that it is present in the assembly only once and the pointer is what gets duplicated in the code everywhere, because I don’t think you can do that in C without using const. The problem with the plain old const modifier is that its contents get copied into RAM like it or not – which, on the GBA, is less than optimal. :P

Furthest I've gone in regards to assembly was when I disassembled a PS1 . Iso of a favorite game, though I'd hardly call it real experience. I also studied in detail on the inner workings of the original Game Boy.

I read through much of the documentation on several different consoles enough so as to get a grasp of what the individual processing units do as well as their respective memory architectures. Game Boy, NDS, PS1, PS2 are the ones I'm familiar with. 

As for programming languages, C++ is the one I know best, though by no means do I pretend to be a programmer let alone some of the gurus that could probably make a computer flip on command. 

I do have quite a bit more experience with 3D programs such as Blender. UV mapping and texturing, shades, rigging and animation, modeling, lighting, etc. I also do some writing on occasion. 

My eyes see the past…

10 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I feel like a 1337 h@x0r

image-20160902_215716.jpg

Got into an EFI shell, mounted a flash drive, and ran the boot script for a windows installer

wow, what device is that?

5 hours ago, ethanchow said:

surface i think. But it is a tablet

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

Oh so its x64 right? I thought they got windows running on an arm tablet, that would be really impressive ;)

58 minutes ago, ethanchow said:

29 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

27 minutes ago, ethanchow said:

Oh so its x64 right? I thought they got windows running on an arm tablet, that would be really impressive ;)

No its a REALLY REALLY cheap windows tablet I found in the garbage.

1472866268539-1952931514.jpg

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

No its a REALLY REALLY cheap windows tablet I found in the garbage.

1472866268539-1952931514.jpg

where? like just the dumpster or a recycling plant or somewhere else? I want a cheap windows tab!

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

recycling at a pc store

oh nice! I got a cracked iphone 5c from recycling once. Fixed the busted LCD and called up the owner and they were happy to unlock icloud for me. Sold that thing for 200 back in febuary ;)

These Mei buffs are getting insane.

12 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

I really want to design my own system someday, picking out what CPU I want, configuring the peripherals and basically doing a prototype build of my own design. xD

Im sure thats called a PC?

Linus is my fetish.

Linus is my fetish.

Linus is my fetish.