LGBT community

carguy86
42 minutes ago, Sylvie said:

Riddle me this

Why do Americans refuse to catch up and start using metric? 

Don’t worry most scientists even Americans use metric. I don’t really know why Americans are using the English system when in fact metric is easier since it’s base ten, a liter is 1000 milliliters and a kilometer is 1000 meters, etc. In fact most people read the English system wrong since they read it in decimals when in fact it should be expressed in fractions like 0.75 inches should be 3/4 inches. Blame it on tech companies for messing with true measurement readings who says stuff like “a 4.3 inches display” when in fact it should be 4 1/3 inches. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Don’t worry most scientists even Americans use metric. I don’t really know why Americans are using the English system when in fact metric is easier since it’s base ten, a liter is 1000 milliliters and a kilometer is 1000 meters, etc. In fact most people read the English system wrong since they read it in decimals when in fact it should be expressed in fractions like 0.75 inches should be 3/4 inches. Blame it on tech companies for messing with true measurement readings who says stuff like “a 4.3 inches display” when in fact it should be 4 1/3 inches. 

I actually use the metric system a lot, and it really annoys other people. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I actually use the metric system a lot, and it really annoys other people. 

Now I know the American trigger warning. ?

There are still few instances that even scientists and the rest pf the world use English system like units of pressure (ex: psi = pounds per square inch) and fabrics sold here are priced per yard instead but for the most part. scientists and the rest of the world use metric. Cars sold here display speed in “kilometers per hour” and gas mileage is measured in “kilometers per liter”. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Riddle me this

Because it would be a massive undertaking to replace every and all things that display imperial units? 

In most (if not all) day-to-day applications it also doesn't matter that much. Calculating lengths in inches, feet, yards and miles is not too different from calculating centimeters, meters and kilometers. 

Especially in the age of calculators. 

It's only really in scientific applications that having units in base ten is a major benefit. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

4 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Riddle me this

Dealing with this at work on almost a daily basis.  People get emotional about their fractions LOL

3 hours ago, Volbet said:

Because it would be a massive undertaking to replace every and all things that display imperial units? 

In most (if not all) day-to-day applications it also doesn't matter that much. Calculating lengths in inches, feet, yards and miles is not too different from calculating centimeters, meters and kilometers. 

Especially in the age of calculators. 

It's only really in scientific applications that having units in base ten is a major benefit. 

Imagine the costs associated with replacing every sign in the United States that refers to miles. That alone, would be too expensive. All those mile markers, speed limit signs, road signs. Most cars already have the km/h under the mph so if you're in Canada or Mexico it'll be easier to know how fast you're suppose to go, but not all cars have it.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

13 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

So, story time guys.

Two weeks ago I got fired.  ...But I was on the verge of quitting because I was being poached by another company.  I didn't trust my employer so I wasn't going to give notice just at the end of a week be all 'I'm gone, I quit, now.  Get me things to sign.'  And they fired me just before.  Officially I was fired for 'No Cause' meaning I made no fault and was fired for no reason.  Of course I was really fired for leading a unionization effort starting six months ago, clashing with payroll when they made mistakes, speaking to other employees about compensation and raises, working conditions, critical of management... You know, awful things like that.  ...So they gave me a nice severance package to facilitate me leaving quietly.  So they are telling me that I'm being let go, that I won't get 2 weeks notice but 2 weeks pay, offering severance on top of that and while they probably expected me to threaten to sue I'm thinking 'These idiots have no idea that I was about to quit for free...' and signed that right away.

So I've enjoyed two weeks off, paid.  I took home all my stored vacation pay to put in an account and use to cover 'unpaid' time off over the next year at the new job.  And I have a nice severance package of cash on top of it.  Oh and those idiots in payroll overpaid the package to the tune of $1000 even.

My new job starts Monday with a much more artist focused employee who seeks to minimize turnover.

Lookit the new stand mixer I ordered with my severance money.  IT'S PURPLE. :3  Imma learn to make bread. :D

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kitchenaid-kitchenaid-ultra-power-stand-mixer-4-26l-300-watt-boysenberry-ksm95by/10394868.aspx?

Damn! xD talk about good luck lmao!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I have $400 now. ASRock Z370 Extreme4 and 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 here I come!

...during the newegg sales.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

I have $400 now. ASRock Z370 Extreme4 and 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 here I come!

...during the newegg sales.

I'm honestly just waiting on Black Friday (And the Xbox One X launch) to push down the PS4 Pro price so I can pick one up for Weeaboo games.  ...Hey I might be flush with cash but MSRP is for suckers. :D 

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

I'm honestly just waiting on Black Friday (And the Xbox One X launch) to push down the PS4 Pro price so I can pick one up for Weeaboo games.  ...Hey I might be flush with cash but MSRP is for suckers. :D 

Not sure if Newegg's Black Friday sale begins early in Canada as well, but I do know it does in the US. Doesn't seem like the PS4 Pro will be discounted, but the Slim will.

Just now, Daring said:

Not sure if Newegg's Black Friday sale begins early in Canada as well, but I do know it does in the US. Doesn't seem like the PS4 Pro will be discounted, but the Slim will.

With a 4K TV I feel I should go all out for the Pro. :)  But there's lots of retailers, we'll see what comes up.  There's a Canadian 'deals' forum called RedFlagDeals where people track and post deals they find, leaked fliers, breakdowns of sales, ect,so I'll keep an eye there and see what comes up for the PS4 Pro.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

With a 4K TV I feel I should go all out for the Pro. :)  But there's lots of retailers, we'll see what comes up.  There's a Canadian 'deals' forum called RedFlagDeals where people track and post deals they find, leaked fliers, breakdowns of sales, ect,so I'll keep an eye there and see what comes up for the PS4 Pro.

I'd link the Newegg ad but all the prices are in USD so it's probably not that useful for Canada xP

Well, good luck ^^

5 hours ago, wcreek said:

Imagine the costs associated with replacing every sign in the United States that refers to miles. That alone, would be too expensive. All those mile markers, speed limit signs, road signs. Most cars already have the km/h under the mph so if you're in Canada or Mexico it'll be easier to know how fast you're suppose to go, but not all cars have it.

Not to mention all the equipment (in both industrial use as well as home use)  that would need to be either replaced or recalibrated. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

8 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Riddle me this

I'm american, and I use metric for all of my measurements, and CAD work.

I also use Celsius.

Do I drive everyone crazy in the process?  Yes, but for anything scientific they are superior.

Like other Americans, I use Fahrenheit for air/water temperatures, and Celsius for computer temperatures.

3 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I also use Celsius.

You are a rare breed xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I also use Celsius.

Do I drive everyone crazy in the process?  Yes, but for anything scientific they are superior.

I'm Canadian and use imperial for most of my measurements :P to me it makes sense for most things. 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

17 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You are a rare breed xD

I suppose.

3 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

I'm Canadian and use imperial for most of my measurements :P to me it makes sense for most things. 

CAD software made me switch to full metric.  Before that, it depended on the situation.

8 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Riddle me this

I'm trying to break free of my freedom. I've moved to metric

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

It's called imperial, some of the units are invented by the British and some by the romans.

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Now I know the American trigger warning. ?

There are still few instances that even scientists and the rest pf the world use English system like units of pressure (ex: psi = pounds per square inch) and fabrics sold here are priced per yard instead but for the most part. scientists and the rest of the world use metric. Cars sold here display speed in “kilometers per hour” and gas mileage is measured in “kilometers per liter”. 

Actually, pressure can be measured in the Pascal unit now. 

31 minutes ago, Daring said:

Like other Americans, I use Fahrenheit for air/water temperatures, and Celsius for computer temperatures.

I've moved all my stuff to °C

One measurement to rule them all!