LGBT community

carguy86
Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

My 8 year old laptop with 1st gen i5 and 240GB SSD runs many rings around our work PCs. My sister has it now though I told her I want that SSD back if anything happens to the laptop.

Yeah, despite being Kaby Lake, this laptop apparently shipped with some very old model, 8MB cache, 1TB mechanical drive.  The lag in starting all the apps, including the touchpad software to switch it out of it's default settings, is kinda OBSCENE.  I've never seen Windows act like this on any mechanical HDD.  I have other Windows 10 boxes on old 500GB drives that can get the whole OS going VASTLY faster.

Meanwhile my last laptop lasted six years BEFORE being recycled into my SFF Steam Machine build, so I hope to get the same out of this laptop since it just does casual use.  I figured go all out and get a good SSD for it.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

I just ordered a 512GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD to swap for the HDD in my unremarkable i7 7500U dual core laptop...

...Overkill?  :)

Nope. I have a 240GB SSD in a Core 2 Duo machine. It's the only SSD I own. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I just ordered a 512GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD to swap for the HDD in my unremarkable i7 7500U dual core laptop...

...Overkill?  :)

How much did you get your 500GB 850evo for?

Also, 500GB 850evos in laptops are great. I am never going to run out of space on my laptop now.

11 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

How much did you get your 500GB 850evo for?

$209.99 CAD + Tax on Amazon.ca

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

$209.99 CAD + Tax on Amazon.ca

Not that decent, but also not bad either. 

Got mine for $180AU (including GST and Shipping), July last year (~$176.45CA).

Gotta love eBay deals. 25% off using a coupon code.

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I wonder what percentage of Toyota Avalons sold in Australia were bought for personal use, and not as taxi cabs.

Never heard of a Toyota Avalon until now. I’m currently driving a Honda Civic. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Never heard of a Toyota Avalon until now. I’m currently driving a red Honda Civic. 

It's mostly a US market only model. Toyota started to make 1st Gen Avalon in Australia from 2000 to 2005, to be sold in the Australian, New Zeland, Asian and Middle Eastern markets.

However, it was a massive flop, people who bought toyotas, just bought Camrys instead. However, the Avalon got very popular for taxis, because Toyota started offering LPG dual-fuel conversions, and offered a yellow paint option (which was required for taxi's in victoria at the time). Around the same time, ford had stopped offering yellow paint for the falcon, and it costs about 4k to respray a car.

Even if an Avalon is in the original Olive Green, it still looks like a taxi to me

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It's mostly a US market only model. Toyota started to make 1st Gen Avalon in Australia from 2000 to 2005, to be sold in the Australian, New Zeland, Asian and Middle Eastern markets.

However, it was a massive flop, people who bought toyotas, just bought Camrys instead. However, the Avalon got very popular for taxis, because Toyota started offering LPG dual-fuel conversions, and offered a yellow paint option (which was required for taxi's in victoria at the time). Around the same time, ford had stopped offering yellow paint for the falcon, and it costs about 4k to respray a car.

The popular car for taxis here is the Toyota Vios and they also offer LPG-gasoline conversion but mostly manual transmission. 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

The popular car for taxis here is the Toyota Vios and they also offer LPG-gasoline conversion but mostly manual transmission. 

Most taxis these days are FG Falcons (mostly all dedicated LPG), and Toyota Camry/Aurion (petrol or LPG/Petrol dual fuel converts). For larger taxis, Ford Territorys and Toyota Hiaces are the vehicles of choice.

8 hours ago, chrisholland03 said:

Lots of Prius, Dodge Caravan, and Ford Crown Victoria cabs here

Also the name Crown Victoria makes me laugh - it's very British sounding, yet is about as American as a car can get.  

Mainly Grand Caravans and Crown Vics in HSV.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

After some painful effort and also learning that my eSATA dual drive dock only works correctly (Port multiplier functions and such to allow both HDD slots to work at the same time) when the Asmedia drivers are used not the Generic ones that Windows selects.  With the SSD in, Windows boots VASTLY faster.  Like, the old HDD was bizarrely slow.  Honestly, what kinda 1TB HDD with a manufacture date in mid 2016 only has 8MB of cache?

29 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

After some painful effort and also learning that my eSATA dual drive dock only works correctly (Port multiplier functions and such to allow both HDD slots to work at the same time) when the Asmedia drivers are used not the Generic ones that Windows selects.  With the SSD in, Windows boots VASTLY faster.  Like, the old HDD was bizarrely slow.  Honestly, what kinda 1TB HDD with a manufacture date in mid 2016 only has 8MB of cache?

Sounds like the manufacturer did something weird with wiring the eSATA port that requires the driver.

The work machines here takes above about ten minutes or so, and are often quite aggressive with virus scanning. Most of these (business) machines are running bog standard, 5400 rpm 1 TB hard drives, yet are all quad core i5s and i7s. Needless to say, a silent virus scan in the background brings the machine to a halt right out of the blue.

My Atom tablet/netbook with the eMMC storage is a much more responsive and reliable machine by comparison.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Sounds like the manufacturer did something weird with wiring the eSATA port that requires the driver.

Well, keep in mind that this dock has a SATA port multiplier in it.  In that multiple SATA drives can share a single port on the controller.  So I wonder if that requires additional driver function not built into the generic SATA controller driver that otherwise worked and that Windows selected by default.  It even hot plugs a million times more effectively.  Like, this dock that I took as 'cheap and crappy' just got about 10 times more useful since I learned this.

32 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The data gets released on the 15th. That's just a news pole. However, I don't expect the data to vary much.

Looks like Australia is a good place to move in. :x

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Why does Snoopy look like he's struggling to exist in this title card?

yhXHr.png

I'm more disturbed that he's holding a turkey and his best friend is a bird

1 hour ago, chrisholland03 said:

I'm more disturbed that he's holding a turkey and his best friend is a bird

112511_TV_DSC_0161_Snoopy-prepares1.jpg

explain this then

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization