New build but in need of GPU advice!

Yamosu

Hi All,

I have been planning an AMD CPU based system and slowling putting it together and reading up on what I need to however I've hit a road block in regards to the graphics card. I am a regular player of Eve Online and I want to run three clients at once wth a monitor for each. I am intending to run each client at 1920x1080 and I am after a minimum framerate of 30fps. I had originally been looking at an AMD R9 290 or possibly an R9 290X but the folks on the Eve Online forums have gone quiet on me an after watching yet another of Linus' videos I thought I would ask here.

Edit: No SLI/Crossfire as I have been told Eve doesn't play nice with those sort of setups. Thanks to kidjt94 for reminding me to put this here

The link to the build as it stands should be here: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/4XB7Hxand this is without a GPU. Any suggestions/reccommendations would be welcome.

Cheers

Ryan

as a AMD CPU user with multiple monitors, i'd suggest you get an intel CPU instead if you want to run 3 games at once. i can run 2 or 3, but it's not fun because i run many other processes in the back ground.

i'd also suggest some SLI or crossfire to help with that FPS.

and you're going to need a card with at least 4GB of VRAM if you want to run a game on all three at once.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I should add that AFAIK Eve Online does not play well with SLI/Crossfire. I don't mind going Intel but they are expensive CPUs

I should add that AFAIK Eve Online does not play well with SLI/Crossfire. I don't mind going Intel but they are expensive CPUs

I hear ya. However, there's going to be a pretty good chunk of bottleneck if you use the FX CPU. I'd suggest a healthy overclock in order to minimize this. There's also an 8 gig R9 290x on pcpartpicker. Might want to take a look at it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£173.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£62.36 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£54.74 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£82.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£33.75 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£457.16 @ Aria PC) 

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£33.85 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Monitor: Dell P2214H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  (£85.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Total: £1282.84

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-29 13:42 BST+0100

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

Replace the 290x's with 290's if it goes over the budget: 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£173.00 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£87.56 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£54.74 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£82.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£33.75 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (£279.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (£279.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£33.85 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£105.00 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Total: £1410.06

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-29 13:37 BST+0100

Re-read the article. He isn't going to crossfire or sli.

Re-read the article. He isn't going to crossfire or sli.

Edited.

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

System is supposed to be amd gpu based.

*CPU, but Intel is like literally better.

Rekty Shrekty 

*CPU, but Intel is like literally better.

Lol, misread that. And I know Intel tends to give better performance. Only problem, it's so fing expensive that and has better dollar per frame ratio.

Lol, misread that. And I know Intel tends to give better performance. Only problem, it's so fing expensive that and has better dollar per frame ratio.

Not really. If you're talking about the Athlon X4 860K, maybe yes, but not about the FXs. 

I have friends saying that the FXs bottleneck at something better than 750 Ti/270x.

Rekty Shrekty 

Not really. If you're talking about the Athlon X4 860K, maybe yes, but not about the FXs. 

I have friends saying that the FXs bottleneck at something better than 750 Ti/270x.

Which fx? Pre 6300 design or post.

Thanks for the advice thus far. Are there any AMD CPUs which would be viable? I don't mind spending a fair chunk of cash on a CPU but not sold on the high price of Intel chips if you'll pardon the pun. Given the cost of the GTX780 it isn't much of a leap to a 295X2. I don't know if a dual GPU card would present the same issues as running two single GPU cards in SLI/Crossfire.

If I am going to shell out for an Intel CPU though I would probably go for an i7 not that I know how much of a difference HT makes on a quad core CPU. Got an i3 in my iMac at the moment and thats ok.

Cheers so far! :)

I don't mind going Intel but they are expensive CPUs

Not really. You could get a Xeon E3-1231v1 for only slightly more than an FX-8350, and the E3-1231v1 is about the equivalent of an i7-4770. The only unfortunate part is that you can't overclock, but that's not always a problem.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/j2Cqgs

The Xeon actually came in cheaper than your FX-8350 build.

AnandTech had an article stating FX CPUs begin to bottleneck GPUs regularly any higher than the R9 285/GTX 960 region, under normal circumstances at least.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'd certainly like to dabble with overclocking and the extra £50 or so for the 4770k isn't a lot more especially given what could potentially be achieved with it. I'm aiming to keep my boot drive seperate from my main drive and a lot of the Intel boards have m.2 slots on them. I seem to remember reading somewhere about driver issues but I'm not entirely sure. OS will be Win7 too if that's any use.

As for the GPU got my eye on an R9 290X 8GB card unless someone can suggest something better for not much more money?

Been fiddling around and figured If I'm going to the job do it well. Had a corsair RM850 to start with for the PSU but now gone for an RM1000. Not sure if the 850 has the right connectors for the 295X2 and enough power for overclocking.

So here is what I have: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/C6vc7P

Well u can try going a old intel cpu that cost u cheap .... q6600 is one of them and u still will have lots of money to spend on other

After the 4770k. Want to be able to overclock.

Looking more towards the GTX 780 at the moment. The 295X2 is just bonkers