Please help me choose a monitor

sMiLEy sLOth

Wagwan,

I just built my first PC about 4 months ago. Put it off for about 3 years then finally bit the bullet and built the thing. I love it.

Basically my problem is this. I just spent a decent amount of money on a BEAST PC but am using a 21.5" 720p Samsung TV that was handed down to me when my old monitor died.

My dilemma is this. I built my Pc for two reasons:

1. Gaming

2. Graphic/Web design & the hope to get into video editing and animation.

I understand that I should get a 120hz monitor for gaming and an IPS monitor for the design work. The issue is I don't really want to get two monitors.

So here's my question. Are there any 120hz monitors that have the same colour accuracy as an IPS display? I don't care about viewing angles as I sit in front of my monitor.

Cheers for ANY response,

sMiLEy sLOth

What sort of gaming do you want to do? If it's not FPS games, a 2560x1600 IPS panel would be preferable.

However, I do believe you can get 120Hz IPS monitors :)

As I've just started getting into PC gaming I'm still trying to play all different types of games. I play alot of FPS and some other less frantic games. I was looking at 2560x1440 but found they were too expensive for me right now. I will 100% invest in one later on down the line but for the moment I think 1920x1080 should be fine unless the prices aren't that crazy. When I started looking my budget was around £150....after looking for about 1hr my budget grew to £300. I don't really mind if its expensive as I'm looking to keep this monitor for as long as I keep my PC. I don't want to be spending £1000 on though. In an ideal world I'd have a 27" 2560x1600 120hz IPS monitor with a matte screen and no bezel for under £500.

IPS technology is moving fast. Up until recently (2008-09 about) IPS panel because fast enough to be great in gaming, and without the loss of image quality or color output. Maybe, in the next 3-5 years you'll see 120Hz IPS panels (and for those who are about to point cheap Korean IPS panel, and say how you can force them at 120Hz, this is BS. The panel isn't fast enough for true 120Hz, you get crap).

Listen, if you are happy with your gaming with your current 60Hz monitor, I think an IPS 60Hz monitor will be fine. It won't be ideal of course, but we can't have it all.

While I am not a big FPS player, I do enjoy playing them time to time. I don't play competitively. When I got my first IPS panel, I thought it would be a problem, and that the input lag would be too high, and I as planning in getting 2 monitors... but actually the IPS panel did deliver, and its not even on my mind. In fact, YOU just reminded me of me thinking about that.. and that was back in 2009. Heh! And my monitor is slower than what you have now for IPS panels.

I don't know your specs of your computer, but keep in mind that in order to enjoy your 120Hz monitor, your computer must be able to play your games at 120fps. If you have V-Sync on (and assuming you don't have adaptive sync feature on your graphic card), if your game doesn't go at a solid 120fps, it will jump down to 60fps. So it will be like if you had a 60Hz monitor. Some card.. will allow you to have 75fps.. but still between 60 and 75fps, isn't not much of a gap to see anything. Usually, hardcore competitive FPS players, play their games at minimum settings or almost, so that they get 120fps solid, all the time.

Also, what you need to think about, is you have to choose between: really nice looking games with an IPS panel that really showcase the artists works behind the game or fast response time with a 120Hz TN monitor.

IPS technology is moving fast. Up until recently (2008-09 about) IPS panel because fast enough to be great in gaming' date=' and without the loss of image quality or color output. Maybe, in the next 3-5 years you'll see 120Hz IPS panels (and for those who are about to point cheap Korean IPS panel, and say how you can force them at 120Hz, this is BS. The panel isn't fast enough for true 120Hz, you get crap). Listen, if you are happy with your gaming with your current 60Hz monitor, I think an IPS 60Hz monitor will be fine. It won't be ideal of course, but we can't have it all. While I am not a big FPS player, I do enjoy playing them time to time. I don't play competitively. When I got my first IPS panel, I thought it would be a problem, and that the input lag would be too high, and I as planning in getting 2 monitors... but actually the IPS panel did deliver, and its not even on my mind. In fact, YOU just reminded me of me thinking about that.. and that was back in 2009. Heh! And my monitor is slower than what you have now for IPS panels. I don't know your specs of your computer, but keep in mind that in order to enjoy your 120Hz monitor, your computer must be able to play your games at 120fps. If you have V-Sync on (and assuming you don't have adaptive sync feature on your graphic card), if your game doesn't go at a solid 120fps, it will jump down to 60fps. So it will be like if you had a 60Hz monitor. Some card.. will allow you to have 75fps.. but still between 60 and 75fps, isn't not much of a gap to see anything. Usually, hardcore competitive FPS players, play their games at minimum settings or almost, so that they get 120fps solid, all the time. Also, what you need to think about, is you have to choose between: really nice looking games with an IPS panel that really showcase the artists works behind the game or fast response time with a 120Hz TN monitor.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice.

I'm pretty sure my 4gb GTX680 will be more than able to cope with high res, fast displays. You do make a good point, at the moment I'm gaming on a 1360x768 running at 60hz so I'm pretty sure any 1920x1080 monitor will be SOOOOO much better than what I'm using right now. The only thing I don't want to happen is ghosting or anything like that which is why I'm questioning IPS. I've basically decided that I'm going to get a 1920x1080 monitor but am unsure of the speed of an IPS.