Will changing motherboard de-activate windows xp?

Gdog96

So the north-bridge chip has failed in my Grandad's ancient gaming PC with Windows XP installed. He has a newer pc with windows 7 installed but he wants to keep his old one for some older games and because he just prefers it in general. 

So my question is, if I replace the motherboard with an identical motherboard, will windows need to be re-activated? Because the product key he used is long gone so it might introduce some problems if he does have to reactivate. 

Thanks 

he prefers windows xp over windows 7?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

it might..but it doesn't matter really cause ms will just give u a new key  if needed

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

when you swap MoBos is the only time you might have issues with drives and OSs.

make sure the bios is set to boot the OS drive first, it normally works out fine.

OP, your grandad's new MoBo is going to look for a drive with a win7 partition. even if you swap the drives with the old one it probably will not work.

tell your grandad most of his old games will work when ran in compatibilty mod. (i still play diablo2)

he's just going to have to learn to love win7, at first i didn't either.

if you plug both drives in at once you might have OS boot issues too. plug both in, them make sure you direct the bios to boot the win7 drive.

from there he can transfer all his XP files to his win7 drive once he's in win7.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

when you swap MoBos is the only time you might have issues with drives and OSs.

make sure the bios is set to boot the OS drive first, it normally works out fine.

OP, your grandad's new MoBo is going to look for a drive with a win7 partition. even if you swap the drives with the old one it probably will not work.

tell your grandad most of his old games will work when ran in compatibilty mod. (i still play diablo2)

he's just going to have to learn to love win7, at first i didn't either.

if you plug both drives in at once you might have OS boot issues too. plug both in, them make sure you direct the bios to boot the win7 drive.

from there he can transfer all his XP files to his win7 drive once he's in win7.

Thanks for the in depth reply, 

Im slightly confused though (forgive me, this kind of thing always confuses me). 

Why would the new motherboard look for a drive with a windows 7 partition? If I'm replacing the broken motherboard inside the XP computer with an identical motherboard surely it will boot into windows XP if the drives and everything else is the same? Is it something to do with updated BIOS's or something?

I should clarify that I only wrote about his windows 7 computer for a bit of context and so that people didn't just tell me to upgrade him to 7. The problem is only with his XP system. 

Thanks again 

Why would the new motherboard look for a drive with a windows 7 partition? If I'm replacing the broken motherboard inside the XP computer with an identical motherboard surely it will boot into windows XP if the drives and everything else is the same? Is it something to do with updated BIOS's or something?

I should clarify that I only wrote about his windows 7 computer for a bit of context and so that people didn't just tell me to upgrade him to 7. The problem is only with his XP system. 

Thanks again 

oh. well in that case it should be fine. slap that thing in and make sure the BIOS boot first device is the old XP drive. it should be fine.

i thought you meant you were putting the XP drive in the win7 computer.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

oh. well in that case it should be fine. slap that thing in and make sure the BIOS boot first device is the old XP drive. it should be fine.

i thought you meant you were putting the XP drive in the win7 computer.

Thats my bad for not properly explaining. Thank you for your help!