AMD SERVER RIG?

Ps_domingo

I'm planning to use an APU M-ITX rig as a family computer and a NAS for PC/MAC.

Is this POSSIBLE? CAN YOU GUYS TEACH A NOOB PLEASE? :((

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1enXD <-- That's the rig I plan to build it on. Main goal of that is mass storage and my sister wants to play civ 5, red alert and the tiberian sun series of games.

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

This is more than you need for a NAS, but if you are planning on some light gaming i guess this will work just fine.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Some edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1eoa5

You want faster memory since the APU uses that instead of dedicated vram. 

I got motherboard with more sata ports.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Now how do I configure it as a nas? =))

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

On Windows (i assume that you will be running) you can make a software RAID 5 in the disk management menu. After you can share the drive on your network just like any ordinary drive.

There are other solutions as well.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Or you can use FlexRAID, for more info in this please use the FlexRAID tutorial link in my signature, one of the posts talks about what FlexRAID does and when you should use it.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

For a nas you don't need 8Gb of ram and avoid eco drivers like the greens get 7200RPM drives also look at getting a raid card, Also it would not hurt to get a second network interface.

"There's no test like production!"

For a nas you don't need 8Gb of ram and avoid eco drivers like the greens get 7200RPM drives also look at getting a raid card, Also it would not hurt to get a second network interface.

It's also going to be used for some slight gaming with the APU.

Also can I ask why is it not advisable to get green drives?

It's also going to be used for some slight gaming with the APU.

Also can I ask why is it not advisable to get green dri

They claim to use less power, which has found not to be that ture, and the speed is not worth it faster is better oc, i remember also reading about them shutting down and messing up raids due to the "eco" tech turning the disks off when ideal. so you're making a server gaming computers that's kidda... ?@#;][?, You should install linux base software and avoid windows.

Edit, also that power supply has 3 SATA power connectors so you will to get a Molex to SATA 

so you're making a server gaming computers that's kidda... ?@#;][?, You should install linux base software and avoid windows.

Well, tbh when he is asking for help doing this the first time on windows(not intented to be negative btw). I do not think jumping into linux will be easier or even better. And about the gaming and having a server togheter, i do not see why thats not any good. Sure you will get better performance with a dedicated build for both, but in terms of budget i think he will get of easier like he planned it now.

Well, tbh when he is asking for help doing this the first time on windows(not intented to be negative btw). I do not think jumping into linux will be easier or even better. And about the gaming and having a server togheter, i do not see why thats not any good. Sure you will get better performance with a dedicated build for both, but in terms of budget i think he will get of easier like he planned it now.

Linux is easy most nas OS's are point and click, and APU's are not very good Hardcore gaming. I don't even know why this is in networking 0% networking questions  on this thread hmm

Linux is easy most nas OS's are point and click, and APU's are not very good Hardcore gaming. I don't even know why this is in networking 0% networking questions  on this thread hmm

I dont know if i would have called a post about a network attached storage, "0% on topic". I guess i may have been a little unclear about it, but i do believe installing a "new" os(I'm guessing he has most experience using windows) and setting it up might be harder for him and therefor giving him more trouble than performance. Look at it this way, if you were looking to buy a car that had semi-good mobility and a good amount of storage. Then the car dealer tells you that is stupid and that you should go out and buy a truck and a Ferrari i do not think that would make sense either.

But this is turning more off-topic, and i am sorry for that OP.

I dont know if i would have called a post about a network attached storage, "0% on topic". I guess i may have been a little unclear about it, but i do believe installing a "new" os(I'm guessing he has most experience using windows) and setting it up might be harder for him and therefor giving him more trouble than performance. Look at it this way, if you were looking to buy a car that had semi-good mobility and a good amount of storage. Then the car dealer tells you that is stupid and that you should go out and buy a truck and a Ferrari i do not think that would make sense either.

But this is turning more off-topic, and i am sorry for that OP.

Am just telling OP what works, and why people do it this way, You are totally right in what you say but i work on the bases of doing it right the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Try taking a look at this FreeNass Is very easy to use. and dose not use hardly any ram or cpu.

Try taking a look at this FreeNass Is very easy to use. and dose not use hardly any ram or cpu.

At Idle it hardly uses any RAM or CPU, when you start searching and putting it under work loads then it will, Also freenas has a rule saying 1 GB of RAM for every 1 TB of storage. Also He does not want it just to be a NAS.