Man Forced to Sell His New House Because Comcast Lied to Him

themodernagenb

TLDR? A man bought a home with the assurance from Comcast that they will provide him internet service. Long story short, they lied - more like they over promised without looking into his situation.

One can argue that the owner should have done more homework, but IMO he should be able to trust what Comcast is telling him.

Source: http://gawker.com/man-forced-to-sell-his-new-house-because-comcast-lied-t-1694018196/+stephentotilo

Sometimes it makes me sad that they are my cable/phone/ISP. But their internet is sooooo good.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So why didn't he just get a different ISP?

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

Frontier did this to me...

Except I've lived here forever so... :/

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Comcast was probably the only one that said they could deliver. The only other options he has is satellite... no.. jus

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Sometimes it makes me sad that they are my cable/phone/ISP. But their internet is sooooo good.

there is no way you're a satisfied comcast customer...

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

http://consumerist.com/2015/03/25/new-homeowner-has-to-sell-house-because-of-comcasts-incompetence-lack-of-competition/

That right there is a -huge- article on the same story.  And @MattLantis  he couldn't get a different ISP.  Where he was located there was both muni-fiber, centurylink, and Comcast.  Both centurylink and comcast appeared for weeks, but showed that they couldn't run lines to his house, and were even charging him money for their service, when he couldn't get any.  As for the muni-fiber, it's illegal to run muni fiber to homes there, but--not to resellers like apartments.  But, Comcast and Centurylink both say his house is covered, but in actuality, he's in a deadzone.  Really sucks for the guy, but--either way, Comcast and Centurylink win this fight, because he'll sell, move, and end up paying either of them.

Read the article.

No ISP in the area could service him. Comcast said they could. However, he moves in, and a dozen or so Comcast reps/techs arrive upon the conclusion that it won't be done. Satellite isn't a choice because of latency issues, the other local ISP have that area blacklisted and the internet-over-air guys can't because someone built a bulding in the path of their connection.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This is just stupid. They just wanted to strip him of every penny he has had. Fuck Comcast.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I had Comcast back when I lived further down South, and ohman.. it was -bad-.  Pay for 50/5, and get 10/1, complain about it, and they canceled the internet -and- phone, had to call them back up and correct the 'mistake', and fiddle with them having technicians coming out for a year until the internet operated at an average of 35/2 but that was only before 4pm.  After that it was just 10/1 again, and it never changed until I moved.  Must be -extremely- region based on if Comcast is good or not.  I know Washington State Comcast is god awful, Florida is god awful.  Central Florida is nice, though.  Got 150mbps down and 10 up, and it goes even higher with a VPN on, oddly enough.  Only had.. three months of dodgy connections, but that was because a squirrel made his home on a line.  Furry bastard.

Comcast was probably the only one that said they could deliver. The only other options he has is satellite... no.. jus

Well in this situation you don't sell you fing house.... you take it and get satelite.

I'm sorry but I can't sympathize here: Stay in the motherfucking city if your work depends on a good internet connection. Leave the "move to bumblefuck fucking nowhere" houses to people that don't need internet infrastructure. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well in this situation you don't sell you fing house.... you take it and get satelite.

The problem with this is the person who moved there -needs- high speed internet for their job, and Satellite in Washington is -abominable-. 

Read the article.

No ISP in the area could service him. Comcast said they could. However, he moves in, and a dozen or so Comcast reps/techs arrive upon the conclusion that it won't be done. Satellite isn't a choice because of latency issues, the other local ISP have that area blacklisted and the internet-over-air guys can't because someone built a bulding in the path of their connection.

Actually it sounds like he has satellite right now (Exceed, Hughes, Dish or someone else) but the data caps (50gb at the absolute most if you're extremely lucky, usually 20gb hard cap) make it a basically emergency and email only service.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm sorry but I can't sympathize here: Stay in the motherfucking city if your work depends on a good internet connection. Leave the "move to bumblefuck fucking nowhere" houses to people that don't need internet infrastructure. 

The whole point of all this is that Comcast told him before-hand that they -can- and -have- serviced that house before, but when he moved in they couldn't run lines to his house, he was too far from the node, same for Centurylink, and then both proceeded to try and charge him.  That's the big point.  Because Comcast in Washington normally offers 100mbps speed, but this is a situation of poor knowledge on Comcast's part, and then poor handling of it, by sending dozens upon dozens of technicians out that way to solve a problem that was unsolvable without running lines.  It's one of those; "Muni-fiber could've saved me, but.. state restrictions and all that."

Actually it sounds like he has satellite right now (Exceed, Hughes, Dish or someone else) but the data caps (50gb at the absolute most if you're extremely lucky, usually 20gb hard cap) make it a basically emergency and email only service.

The article leads me to believe that he's using one of those cellular hotspots, but I'm not too sure.

All of this leaves him no option but to do his work from mobile hotspot whose bandwidth limits aren't enough to last him a whole month, and go to Starbucks whenever he needs to transfer a large file.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Expensive learning experience. 1. Never buy a home on a verbal promise. If you can't get a written agreement don't make the purcahse. 2. Make sure the most important aspects of the home your buying is currently present, or negotiate for the seller to install them prior to purchase.

Comcast sucks, yeah, but this was avoidable...and now the guy knows how to avoid it in the future...too bad someone didn't tell him prior to the purchase.

The article leads me to believe that he's using one of those cellular hotspots, but I'm not too sure.

Oh ok. But well those are actually fairly similar to satellite internet in the way they're billed: you get X amount of gigabytes of transfer, X additional in the middle of the night and we slow you the fuck down or charge you the fuck up if you run out.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The whole point of all this is that Comcast told him before-hand that they -can- and -have- serviced that house before, but when he moved in they couldn't run lines to his house, he was too far from the node, same for Centurylink, and then both proceeded to try and charge him.  That's the big point.  Because Comcast in Washington normally offers 100mbps speed, but this is a situation of poor knowledge on Comcast's part, and then poor handling of it, by sending dozens upon dozens of technicians out that way to solve a problem that was unsolvable without running lines.  It's one of those; "Muni-fiber could've saved me, but.. state restrictions and all that."

Yep, and he fucking deserves the woes for trusting Comcast with nothing on writing or preinstalled. If Comcast admittedly told him "we don't give that in writing" that should turn on a huge "Danger! Danger Will Robinson!" alarm inside of your head, specially if you're buying a fucking house based on it. 

Look I know everyone in the US is down on cities now and wants to live in the country and all that, but you really can't have your fucking cake and eat it too: it is 100x cheaper (or even more) to run infrastructure in a city. Stay in the goddamn city if you absolutely need high speed internet. Yes there's more pollution, crime, whatever that's the price you pay. I can sympathize with people screwed over geographical limitations due to mere policy but this is more of an issue of wanting to move away from the city to a rural area.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah, man. Why don't we just fly the entire planet to another solar system after we've fucked up Earth? I mean, everything's so easy, right?

Ouch, that was some biting sarcasm for a fairly legitimate question

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

what if your jobs dependent on reliable fast internet? And I would sell my house before going satellite.. 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

No one is forcing him to sell his house. Thats his choice because he didnt get internet service.

Comcast lying to him is still a problem, but the title is misleading.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Alright, how much is Comcast paying you? 100K, 200K?

Every topic I post in dies.

Looking at his house it's not even rural. And it's certainly not the boonies.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Double post

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers