! ! ! help me build ! ! !

dajackanator

I am going to build my first PC in a month or 2 and would like the help of the community to fine tune my picks and recommend any changes that you think would help me get the best output of my PC. I am a gamer and a student, starting my last 2 years in school. most of my subjects are computer related and I would like to use my computer at university after i finish school as i will be doing some sort of IST course at UNI.

My Current Pics are

Case - NZXT switch 810 matte black

Motherboard - MSI Z77 Mpower

CPU - Intel i7 3770K

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

Hard Drive - Samsung 840 250GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid M850

RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB

Sound Card - ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Optical Drive - LF CH12LS28 12X Blue-Ray DVD Combo Drive

I will be putting a custom water loop on it a few months after the build so I can figure out what I need.

Any help would be appreciated. thank you for reading,

Personally I'm not a huge fan on Cooler Master powersupplies, but that's just me.

In general, looks live a nice build. If you're spending that much, you could also get an 840 Pro if you want a bit more performance from your SSD.

Unless you're 3d rendering/video rendering or doing some similar, an i7 will be a waste of money. If the main uses are gaming and other usual tasks (documents and the like) an i5 would be much better suited. Also unless you're big into watching blue ray movies the drive isn't going to be much use. Also don't get an 850w power supply, that's some serious overkill. 650-700 watt would be plenty more than enough. 750-800 watt if you plan to SLI in the future.

Personally I'm not a huge fan on Cooler Master powersupplies' date=' but that's just me. In general, looks live a nice build. If you're spending that much, you could also get an 840 Pro if you want a bit more performance from your SSD.[/quote']

I agree with this, CM PSU's aren't that great in my experience. Corsair is the way to go :) Great build though

things to consider, you said you want to upgrade to water cooling. Are you talking full system WC, or just CPU. Are you going to use a pre-filled loop, or full custom. Make sure that you can get waterblocks for each component you want to WC, especially on the graphics, EVGA cards can be a pain to find waterblocks for sometimes... EK usually has them, but not for all models. Also need to make sure your case will support full loop setups if thats the route you want to take.

• CPU - Intel x79 3820 @ 4.30 Ghz || Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme || RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator 1866 Mhz 4x4 || GPU - EVGA GTX 680 SLI (2x)

• Case - CM HAF-X || Storage - Corsair SSD 120GB/60GB WD 1TB Black || PSU - Corsair HX1050 || Display(s) - 3x@ 24" 1x Auxillary 19" || Cooling - Corsair H100

Keyboard - Mionix Zibal 60 || Mouse - Logitech G602

That PSU is fine, it's internals are made by Enhance which is a reputable PSU OEM. Corsair are no better, nor worse. However the wattage is massively overkill. You could easily use a 600W to power the system and still have enough overhead. I would recommend either the Seasonic x650 or Silverstone Strider 660W.

maybe you can spend that 200 more for a 680 4gb version!

I think 16 gigs of ram is a bit overkill for gaming, you're never going to use more than 8. You're probably better off getting 2 4GB dims, and put the savings into a 4GB 680

i would go for a corsair psu or seasonic and maybe a 750w psu would do it and if u are just gaming go for a 3570k but i saw in your other build u are going to be doing some recording and stuff so u might benefit from the hyperthreading and get a few extra frames while u record but other than that very nice rig.

@HKG5, pretty pointless to spend extra for more VRAM when you can spend it on a higher quality power supply or a faster SSD.

Looks like a pretty cool build and i cant think of a reason to spend more on it but spending on some nice peripherals might be a good idea if you dont have nice ones

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

looks like a very good build, do you know what you'll be doing on it at all. I.e. Editing, CAD, Gaming ect, because you should be forming your build around that.

Personally I'm not a huge fan on Cooler Master powersupplies' date=' but that's just me. In general, looks live a nice build. If you're spending that much, you could also get an 840 Pro if you want a bit more performance from your SSD.[/quote']

I agree with this, CM PSU's aren't that great in my experience. Corsair is the way to go :) Great build though

is their any reason for the cm hate or is it just personal preference.

Looks like a great build! Looks like you have done your research well young padawan!

Powersupply is waaaaay overkill though. :P You could easily get away with a 650w but if you want room for possible SLi then I would keep it. :P

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

As The Scanner Darkly said

The i7s are are a waste of money unless youre doing hardcore 3d rendering and the such

the i5 lacks hyperthreading which games dont use but as for differences, thats it.

As The Scanner Darkly said The i7s are are a waste of money unless youre doing hardcore 3d rendering and the such the i5 lacks hyperthreading which games dont use but as for differences' date=' thats it.[/quote']

I will have to respectfully disagree. The OP never stated he is on a strict budget. Also for example i7's are binned a bit better then i5's which turn out to be better overclockers(at least this is what I have read). That may be worth something to the OP. I simply just browse and game on my PC but I upgraded from i5 to i7 for this very reason and sure enough it requires less vcore for the same clocks.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

IMO, skip out on the optical drive!

Other than that, and your case..sorry I'm not a fan of the Switch 810, too much plastic..Everything seems to be goodio! Remember to post pictures!

As far RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB at what Speed I wouldnt go under 1600MHz to be honest, do you really need Dominator Platimum, corsiar Vengeance is just as good and in fact other brands are just as good as OEM builts the RAM and suppliers stamp their brands on it. the only thing that i can think is that the Dominator Platimum is a custom built board and has the Lights and the Corsair Link compatibility. I have both Dominator Platimum and Vengeance in two of my builts and to be honest I like the Dominator Platimum looks cleaner, and from what I recall the NZXT switch 810 matte black has a windowed side. I think its a good choice.

Dude that is practically my preferred config

He who dies with the most tools wins.

• 2 years later...

I am going to build my first PC in a month or 2 and would like the help of the community to fine tune my picks and recommend any changes that you think would help me get the best output of my PC. I am a gamer and a student, starting my last 2 years in school. most of my subjects are computer related and I would like to use my computer at university after i finish school as i will be doing some sort of IST course at UNI.

My Current Pics are

Case - NZXT switch 810 matte black

Motherboard - MSI Z77 Mpower

CPU - Intel i7 3770K

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

Hard Drive - Samsung 840 250GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid M850

RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB

Sound Card - ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Optical Drive - LF CH12LS28 12X Blue-Ray DVD Combo Drive

I will be putting a custom water loop on it a few months after the build so I can figure out what I need.

Any help would be appreciated. thank you for reading,

looks good. I would change the GTX 680 to a GTX 970 or GTX 980

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log