[Build Log] **White Metropolis** A Water-Cooled Modular CaseLabs S5+Ped Build (Featured Build Log Winner, Possibly for Sale!)

guitarhero23

ki60Xd7.png
(This is not sponsored, unfortunately, I just wanted to include some of the manufactures in the title picture)

Purpose and Main Idea:

I wanted a build that was if a small form factor, allowing easier transportation when LANNING without sacrificing cooling power when home and overclocking. I also wanted to create as clean of a build visually as I could which is where the idea for this came from. I developed a quick disconnect system from S5 to pedestal allowing me to separate the two. The name "White Metropolis" started out because I was trying to brainstorm a name that wasn't cliche with a white build and choose it with no intention of including it in the build theme. That all changed when I got inspired by city silhouettes. In this build you will find the silhouettes of major cities all across the world such as Hong Kong - China, Bangkok - Thailand and Jakarta - Indonesia because of how they looked. I've hopefully succeeded in tying all these things together in a visually appealing, high detail design. Windows all around led for designing ideas that complement the computer no matter which side you look at it,no matter where you view it from you get a different and equally pleasing view.

The idea is to have the main cabin of the S5 be easily detachable with the bottom. So when home I'll be running a decent overclock through the 240 rad up top and a 360 rad in the pedestal. When I'm using it portable I will detach it from the pedestal (QDC's) and through the use of a Bitspower Valve redirect the flow.

See rough sketch of the idea here (Changed a couple things but you get the point:

Current State: COMPLETE CLICK HERE FOR ALL FINAL PICTURES

758lWNMl.pngNrTaEWzl.png
So basically when attached to pedestal the valve will but shut, forcing all coolant to run down into the pedestal 360mm rad and back up into the case. When disconnected from the pedestal the valve will be open, allowing the coolant to flow freely through the case.

I am considering selling this so that I can build something else. My creative itch never stops: Email me at ghcustompc@gmail.com for more info if interested

VzWzA9El.jpg

Theme:
I've seen love and hate comments for white builds but this is my personal rig and ultimately I gotta go with what I want so it'll be white with a little darker than sky blue accents all throughout the case.

Most of the goods (Minus case of course):
YNaKiqhm.jpg

Main Components:<p>
Case - CaseLabs Mercury S5 w/Pedestal (White, XL left Window, Large Top Window) (Acquired)

XFUKyHml.jpgDgBn0qdl.jpg

S5 (White) Top Chassis: No Drop -In, Top Cover: Standard Window, Left Door: XL Window, Right Door: Standard Window w/Ventilation, Flex-Bay: 120.2 Fan/Radiator Mount Pedestal: (White), Rear Chassis Option: 120mm Hex-Mesh Fan Hole, Flex-Bay Cover: Ventilated

CPU - Intel i7-4790k (Acquired)

Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/Armor Kit (Acquired)

Memory - GSkill 16Gb 1866 (4x4GB) (Acquired)

GPU - EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 (Upgrading to next GTX or 390x. Dont have time to wait now) (Acquired)

SSD - Samsung EVO 120Gb (Acquired)

HDD 1: 1 TB WD Black (Acquired)

HDD 2: 2 TB WD Green (Acquired

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2 (Acquired)
Watercooling Components:<p>
CPU Block - EK Supremacy EVO (Nickel/Plexi) (Acquired)

GPU Block - Bitspower VG-NGTX970ESACX (Nickel/Plexi) (Acquired)

Radiators - XSPC ex360 and Black Ice Nemesis 240 GTS (Acquired)

Ram Block - EK Monarch x4 (Acquired)

Pump - Swiftech M​CP35X (Acquired)

Pump Housing - EK DDC Hea​tsink (Acquired)

Pump Top - EK-D5 X-TO​P Pump Top​ CSQ (P​lexi) (Acquired)

Reservoir - Bitspower Tank Z-Multi 150 (Acrylic top/bottom) (Acquired)

Fittings - Bitspower Deluxe White, EK-ACF (White), Koolance QDC's, (Acquired)

Tubing - E22 12mm OD acrylic tube (S5), PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. ID X 1/2in (Pedestal) (Acquired)

Coolant - Mayhems Blue Berry (With Ocean Blue) (Acquired)

Miscellaneous:<p>

Ensourced custom cables (Acquired)

MfS0kDul.jpg

Darkside lighting (Acquired)

Fans - Bitfenix Spectre 120 (Acquired)

OCN Link

Planned Mods:
Paint - Many, Many Parts White with Blue accents (Armor Kit, Monarch Modules, Supremacy Bracket, Radiator, Pump Housing, EK-UNI Holder, SSD, GPU Backplate, etc
Custom Acrylic:

-Laser Cut Backplate for GPU (2 layer, metal with acrylic behind)

-Laser Cut Midplate

-Laser Cut PSU Cover

-Mounting Plate

-MOBO tray cover

Polished Acrylic BlocksBitspower Pass-throughs

Quick Disconnect System (Thumb Screws?)

Pump in unique spot to be shown off

Stealth-mount HDD's instead of SSDCables

Possible Custom LED logo

Possible Laser Engraving

Cutting the case

Custom res mounting

Custom pump mounting

Expect many progress photos, videos, and other fun things. I plan to make any videos I do of progress be on the interesting/comical side but we will see how it goes. I'll do my best to provide quality pictures and I will ask for feedback along the way on design choices. I have waited for a while to start the build log because I'm not one who wants a 4 month build log to keep people waiting.

Progress:

3/26/15 - Polishing Blocks

3/31/15 - Painting

4/6/15 - Micro Center + SSD Design Ideas

4/8/15 - Case Arrival

4/12/15 - Case Mods Pt.

14/15/15 - Case Mods Pt.

24/18/15 - Laser Cutting + GPU + Backplate

4/23/15 - Sleeving + Vinyl + PSU Cover + Test Fit + More

4/24/15 - Hardline Tubing Preview

5/2/15 - Loop Complete + Partially Assembled + Filling Loop

5/6/15 - FINAL PICTURES

Video Catalog:

Followed. Dem photoshop skillz.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

First progress:

I used a lighter to remove the EK badge from 2 of my 4 monarch modules to test out some colors and see what you guys like.

Here they are in a nice soap and water bath to get some of the gunk off where the badges were.

gCnTigdl.jpg

bXea49bl.jpg

Now, here is where I ask your advice. 3 options here.  

1: All white

1JtOzIJl.jpg

2: White monarch module with blue EK badge (ignore the messy plastidip, I will redo, just focus on color)

ynu8f01l.jpg

3: All white with just the EK logo inside the badge blue and possibly blue text (photoshopped for now). I'm liking this option without the blue text the best.

vpdX7kYl.jpg

Extra Pictures:

tZqGRStl.jpg

First progress:
I used a lighter to remove the EK badge from 2 of my 4 monarch modules to test out some colors and see what you guys like.

Here they are in a nice soap and water bath to get some of the gunk off where the badges were.

Now, here is where I ask your advice. 3 options here.  

1: All white

2: White monarch module with blue EK badge (ignore the messy plastidip, I will redo, just focus on color)

3: All white with just the EK logo inside the badge blue and possibly blue text (photoshopped for now). I'm liking this option without the blue text the best.

Extra Pictures:

I think it will look really nice if you can get the plastidip to go on properly.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Very nice. Looking forward to your updates.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Progress Update:

Did some polishing work for the first time ever.  Also have to polish RAM block and CPU block.  (Video Coming Soon)

IzNzZhdh.jpg

Oic9aCgh.jpg

nEOwU1Jh.jpg

2FS7mRJh.jpg

Quick video update on how I achieved the above polishing on the Pump block.

PPCs finally got the GPU block back in stock and trust me, I was refreshing that page all day yesterday, bought it as soon as it was back in stock.  Took the liberty of sucking it up and ordering some LED lighting to clearly show off the inside of this case.  This stuff is a bit on the expensive side but so be it I guess, we will see how well it works, hopefully I ordered the right connectors for my needs, I find it odd you cannot add an LED strip to your cart UNLESS you also add a connector because what if you have connectors already or something?

69z5YSul.png

Because the case has been delayed I'm expected it to ship out either today or tomorrow hopefully but depending on how long it takes to cross the US I might not be here to get the package at work, I'll be in DC from the 2nd to the 5th! But I'll be here to get it if it arrived on the 2nd (fingers crossed)

I'll be updating the build tonight with some of the painting I've been doing, got a lot done.

Update:

ki60Xd7.png

Painting +Polishing update time!

I've been slaving away with the plastidip. 

The Good:

I can remove it if I mess up

I can remove it when I sell parts for a new rig (if I ever do)

Easily available at auto store

The Bad:

It gets cold in my house so I have to run it under warm water or it comes out a little thick

If you accidentally rub into it too hard it will peel off (found this out the hard way)

Had to use like....9+ coats on everything to get it purely white

Doing the above makes it thick (lose a little detail)

Anyway. TO THE PICS.

u9QSu16l.jpg

I0ZQH5Ul.jpg

e5Klp82l.jpg

GqesdUHl.jpg

eQ3iOGul.jpg

iGKyW5Pl.jpg

DDwHf3rl.jpg

WMbnfyvl.jpg

0wsPmXIl.jpg

S8sGZrjl.jpg

N0uWgucl.jpg

1h9piHYl.jpg

pDatZZjl.jpg

1AJaO7bl.jpg

n7m6pjMl.jpg

GOndAh8l.jpg

And....

The most important update is....

yBnPueil.png

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Unfortunately the fact that it was delayed means it probably won't get here until after I have left for DC (Thursday night). If they try to deliver on Saturday it might be a problem because I sent it to my office where I work and noone is there then...anyone wanna wait and get it for me? :)

I'm hitting up Microcenter in DC and going to make a video VLOG of the mecca to Microcenter haha. 

Bonus picture before I leave for DC until Monday, get case on Tuesday! 

Will be posting my pilgrimage to Microcenter when I can, if I have downtime with the GF this weekend I'll see if I can edit it and get it up :). Should be a fun little video

Decided the black handle would clash a little with where it's going. Had to change.

Y9jxvhgl.jpg

Update:

ki60Xd7.png

Update:  

I have made it to Micro Center and back and my voyage was successful! Please watch the video below, hopefully it's somewhat entertaining.  Store is pretty cool! (God YouTube is slow at offering full 1080)

It's also time for another ask your opinion moment.  I'm messing around with some graphics for the SSD.  One is simply replacing the colors, and the other two are variations on pulling the name (Metropolis) into the build with some building silhouettes but I literally just came up with this idea today so I'm open to you picking one and liking it or offering ideas as to what I can do.  I will be covering the SSD with vinyl and attaching the graphic over that.

Option 1:

XwsbkkQ.jpg

Option 2:

9qwoH1w.jpg

Option 3:

pWi3vIS.jpg

Expect massive updates this week and weekend as the case and remaining water-cooling parts arrive TOMORROW.

I'll probably make an update later tonight as well as I am bench testing the componenets now that I have the CPU in hand although I am expecting some possible difficulties with the 4790k since I'm using a z87 board but hopefully ASUS Bios Flashback can help me with that...Will let you know

Option 3 for me too!  Looks awesome so far!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Option 3 for me too!  Looks awesome so far!

Thanks, That's my current favorite as well.

2 more for your consideration. 

Option 4: Grey Shadow around building (Matches grey on build)
1q3j974.jpg

Option 5: Attempt at someones suggestion
l3hFElO.jpg

The Good News: Achieved boot on bench test!

The Bad News: It took me a while to get it working (flash new bios for MOBO to accept 4790k and found out 1/4 of the RAM sticks I bought off ebay was bad...now I have to return them and had to order new from Amazon...cost me an extra like $40 :mad:

wdWsikVh.jpg

Other good news:

CASE ARRIVED

Update:

ki60Xd7.png

Update: Case+Some Test Fits

Ok guys I wanted to make a more official update since I initially just took pictures to show that my case had some wrong parts in it (wrong door, wrong pedestal side panels) but here are some better pictures of the actual case.  This case on the lower section is....smaller than I pictured (even though I looked at all measurements).  I might actually have to....cut a hole on the left side of the mid chassis and stick the pump top through that in order to have enough clearance for everything. :(   I don't feel like screwing this case up by doing so and messing up but I might not have a choice.  Also put together the fitting array that will make the whole "module thing" work.

16iDazdh.jpg

OghvJrnh.jpg

tAfT9AZh.jpg

vWQtSmth.jpg

1A2tWnih.jpg

NmxAqCPh.jpg

CEHB5F4h.jpg

Dw9bjxth.jpg

I'm going to home depot today for some sheet metal, longer m2.5 screws, and more plastidip.  Going to be making my own res mount to the rad out of the sheet metal, also possible using it for a custom backplate for the GPU. Have to experiment.

I've been in talks with an engraving place that can cut 1/8" acrylic so....fingers are crossed that I can work something out but I made these designs for the GPU backplate and a midplate floor to put on the HDD/SSD side of the case....

Black areas would be cutout and have blue behind it.  I still am trying to go with a mixture of interesting detail while maintaining a minimalist design, don't want TOO many things going on.  Want the designs to complement the parts not distract the eye.

Acrylic Backplate (White+Blue layer behind)

i5VSymIh.png

toLBsNF.jpg

SSD/HDD Midplate (White+Blue layer behind)

lc2V76yh.png

HggruEf.jpg

I wasn't originally going to put any building things on the GPU backplate because I didn't want it to have too many of them with the SSD having it and the midplate, but then I realized it would be on the opposite side where none currently would be but a window would show it so maybe I should incorporate another skyline...

Idea:

M5m2gXJ.jpg

Also:

• CaseLabs case WILL be cut with dremel I believe to fit the pump where I want
  • Ensourced cables have been ordered.
  • I've painted MANY screw heads.

Also I've done some brainstorming on how to customize the GPU block itself.

DIWDoU0l.png

So far so awesome!!!

Thanks, spent like an hour and a half or more last night contemplating how I'll actually fit the pump in place and where I'm going to have to cut this hole and making sure other things would line up, it's damn hard to decide what works best while still looking best...

I think I'm going to make my first cuts/holes today, wish me luck. This is one expensive case to be cutting.

Small Update:

Spent about 2 hours last night placing various pieces in the case to see how things fit and getting an idea how to make my original tubing plan work, to no  surprise I don't think it will work SO. After another hour of brainstorming I came up with another plan (I'm a stickler for it looking cool) and had to make a quick order from PPCs.

1S9lE3t.png

I wanted to get a c47 but they have been out of stock.

Some pictures from the brainstorming process so I remember what I figure out!

0SnskCwl.jpg

r54pjCbl.jpg

myFPePTl.jpg

8BuY1XXl.jpg

rKvItDel.jpg

bMMXFUHl.jpg

RqvehCAl.jpg

I will be cutting the case to make a hole for the pump probably only the EK top will be poking out thumb.gif . I bought some white piping for guitar amplifiers to possibly use as a grommet around the square for 1: Nice clean look even if I mess up the cuts a bit and 2: Soft rubber that will make sure it doesn't vibrate the case.

Update:

ki60Xd7.png

Case Mods Part 1:

I worked hard today getting some things done, I did a couple more things than I will post right now but that's because they aren't 100% complete, will post when done.  Today was my first longgggg day of building, watched the Masters at the same time.

Transporting to my Dad's basement workshop. Didn't buckle it in but it was safe.

7kXhW2Ch.jpg

Couldn't find a bracket that worked with the EK Resevoir mount brackets that way I wanted them to so I made my own (Going to paint them).

XgLkaJsh.jpg

VpzrLyVh.jpg

0jUu3kCh.jpg

I'll explain what this is for later, I doubt anyone can guess it's true purpose

oZ7bKeyh.jpg

And...Now's the part that better not mess up...Wish me luck!

Kb9CCXoh.jpg

7kXhW2Ch.jpg

Wow! You have a BRZ!

Great build btw  :D

Spoiler

Wow! You have a BRZ!

Great build btw :D

Thanks, I'm in love with the BRZ! especially because it fits the color scheme of the build :) almost.

Big Update!!!! Case Mods Part 2:

ki60Xd7.png

Ok so all of the big time scary case mods are done and I will report back that I was successful in not destroying any of the items and causing a delay in the build. I used the brainstorm 40, measure,30, brainstorm again 20, measure 10 more, cut once strategy.  

I have done the following:

•  

• Big square in mid chassis for pump

• 3 pass through fittings. One in middle chassis two in floor

• modified the EK DDC UNI mount to fit.  

• Switched SSD mount location, drilled new holes

• Stealth mounted 2x HDD, custom mounting for each

• Altered stealth mount to be able to plug in the HDD's

• Assembled soft tubing QDC's in pedestal

• Cut out part of the pedestal to fit the EK barbs from the top half of this module design, 

• Installed CPU Supremacy EVO block

• Finished my custom RES mount which can be adjusted.

• Fit in midplate into where it belongs

Now... PICTURE DUMP.

This worked at first, then realized the fatal flaw of the bracket up top limiting me. Used the die cutter after that

xNiVrKzh.jpg

Fill-Port 1

lisbd1qh.jpg

Also had to shorten the depth of it so the pump was poking out just the right amount

8iL3zTIh.jpg

New home for the SSD

F5FYnpAh.jpg

Stealth mount HDD

HGczZ9Rh.jpg

Altered Stealth Mount. Cables fit in very smoothly.

8ZPMudih.jpg

EK Supremacy EVO

m42WNGRh.jpg

Custom RES mount is sturdy!

bwCJzBNh.jpg

Mid-plate fits

2YCPRGRh.jpg

Now you should begin to see my plan in these next pics if you didn't understand it already. MODULAR DESIGN FOR LAN.

lqJLYI7h.jpg

FQFZaDwh.jpg

us5YElKh.jpg

oeXkBeoh.jpg

tsFVefMh.jpg

tzEjq4Lh.jpg

Xg3R1fyh.jpg

XlzOOyzh.jpg

I also have one last bit of great news. The guy I was working with on the acrylic laser cutting can FINALLY get a good trace now that I exported the files as .dwg for AutoCAD. We are in business fella's, those are getting cut Saturday morning.  The cool stuff is coming soon :).  

That car is sooo sexy

Edit: Are BRZ's only blue? lol

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it