Does DirectX 12 Make Xeon the new i7?

DirectX 12 will be better for multithreaded systems. My question is, will this be very scalable? If so, then wouldn't a 12 core Xeon (24 threads) just crush a 4 core chip like the 4790k? Will dual 18 core Xeons on a workstation or server grade board become the new high end like the 5960X is now for gaming?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

You are comparing way different CPUs,  5960X isn't the highest CPU available atm ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

You are comparing way different CPUs,  5960X isn't the highest CPU available atm ?

For consumer use yes. But over on prosumer/server side xeon has 18 cores.

DirectX 12 will be better for multithreaded systems. My question is, will this be very scalable? If so, then wouldn't a 12 core Xeon (24 threads) just crush a 4 core chip like the 4790k? Will dual 18 core Xeons on a workstation or server grade board become the new high end like the 5960X is now for gaming?

DX12 only help if the game is SOLELY bottlenecked by draw calls and nothing else.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The 5960x currently makes 0 sense for gaming.

And xeons with 18 cores tend to cost like a motorcycle... I doubt anyone would buy one just to get that 10% boost... because bare in mind that the gpu is still what will make or break a gaming system, if the cpu doesn't bottleneck it that's all you can do on the cpu side. And a 4790k is already not bottlenecking any card.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

just because the api allows it, doesnt mean games will utilize it.

I was under the impression that DX12 would essentially take a workload and split across threads automatically. If not, then why has everyone been talking about the benefits of DX12? BF4 can already use 4 threads, so the functionality already exists, I think.

Xeons are designed for server and high workloads 24/7, not for gaming.

I know, but it doesn't mean that they won't work for gaming. And I don't think that the per-core performance is 4.5x worse than the 5960X.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

i think for that game devs have to support the multithreading as well, untill then it'll be the same old story,

Details separate people.

Actually there are some Xeons which are fairly good for gaming. For example the E3-1231v3 which is basically just a i7 4790 without integrated graphics.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Actually there are some Xeons which are fairly good for gaming. For example the E3-1231v3 which is basically just a i7 4790 without integrated graphics.

Are you willing to pay few hundred more for that?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

This recent article from PCP is a great read about the draw call difference, and core scaling.  http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/3DMark-API-Overhead-Feature-Test-Early-DX12-Performance

dx12-980.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

And xeons with 18 cores tend to cost like a motorcycle... I doubt anyone would buy one just to get that 10% boost... because bare in mind that the gpu is still what will make or break a gaming system, if the cpu doesn't bottleneck it that's all you can do on the cpu side. And a 4790k is already not bottlenecking any card.

Thanks for the answer! Followup question, with the new titan x in quad SLI with the improved scaling, do you think surround 4k is possible?

You'll see a few games written to use more than 8 threads, but for the most part games really utilize 4-8 threads now, since the consoles are octacores. There is no reason to write games to utilize 12 or 18 core Xeon E5 processors, and it's harder to write games to support more threads.

The 5960x currently makes 0 sense for gaming.

^ This! 

I have the 5960X and also Windows 10, which has support for the new DX12 with the 347.91 drivers from nVidia and believe me there is no difference in performance. The fact that DX12 allows for better multi-core workload processing doesn't mean that developers will adopt it right away, nor that games will utilize all 16 threads of a 5960X, for example. Even still some developers use DX9 instead of DX11...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

By all means put a xeon in your gaming rig, I am absolutely sure it wont be a waste of money or time......or maybe it will.

Handing out TechRx's

Not true. If you get an e3 1230, 1231, or 1246. As well as others they perform just as well as an i7 4770. They are great for gaming. Just not overclockable. Plus they are a lot cheaper.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

So far out of the testing done we are seeing DirectX 12 only supporting up to six threads (unclear if API or software limitation).

Long story short a 20 core Xeon will likely perform worse due to having lower clock frequencies.

• 9 months later...

^ This! 

I have the 5960X and also Windows 10, which has support for the new DX12 with the 347.91 drivers from nVidia and believe me there is no difference in performance. The fact that DX12 allows for better multi-core workload processing doesn't mean that developers will adopt it right away, nor that games will utilize all 16 threads of a 5960X, for example. Even still some developers use DX9 instead of DX11...

If M$ will cut the support for DX9 and 11 like they did IE 10 and back. Developers will have no choice but to use DX12, I hope they do.

If M$ will cut the support for DX9 and 11 like they did IE 10 and back. Developers will have no choice but to use DX12, I hope they do.

True, but a lot of people will be upset, because not everyone is able to afford a graphics card that supports DX12. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

DX12 spreads the graphics stack across all cores. That's it. Plain and simple. It doesn't magically multithreaded things, and its still up to the developers of games to actually use more than X amount of cores for their logic processing, physics, AI, etc. Benchmarks showing magical improvements with DX12 are bs. It's meant to relieve drawcall bottlenecks, not make 2012 hardware come magically back to life (although that wouldn't be a bad thing, kickass low cost builds? Hell yes.) The whole "ZURMOGAWD, DX12 MAEKS MY FX GREAT AGAIN, 80+ CORES USAGES FOR ALL, HOORAY!" Fallacy needs to die.

Just going to copy pasta my post from the other DX12 thread.

Not to mention, FPS is STILL going to mostly be up to GPU. 

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Just going to copy pasta my post from the other DX12 thread.

Not to mention, FPS is STILL going to mostly be up to GPU. 

It's a pretty old thread from when I first heard about DX 12, but I said nothing about FPS. It would affect minimum FPS and frame timing, wouldn't it? I was just wondering if having 18+ cores would be better than 4 running hyperspeed, but I'll add to the question. Would it work if developers support it? People said it seems to only use up to 6 cores, is that controlled by the dev? I saw it as a layer below the game so it would use multiple cores automatically for anything using DX12. Is it not?

It's a pretty old thread from when I first heard about DX 12, but I said nothing about FPS. It would affect minimum FPS and frame timing, wouldn't it? I was just wondering if having 18+ cores would be better than 4 running hyperspeed, but I'll add to the question. Would it work if developers support it? People said it seems to only use up to 6 cores, is that controlled by the dev? I saw it as a layer below the game so it would use multiple cores automatically for anything using DX12. Is it not?

It would really only have the effect of making weaker CPUs better able to handle higher end GPUs, which is where you'd see the better minimums and frame timing. The paradigm of gaming CPUs will stay the same. Developers still have to run all of their game logic, etc across multiple cores themselves. DirectX is only graphics, that's the only thing DirectX controls, it's not a game engine, just a graphics front-end.

Edit: Oh, and sorry, I didn't notice this was a necro'd thread.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

It would really only have the effect of making weaker CPUs better able to handle higher end GPUs, which is where you'd see the better minimums and frame timing. The paradigm of gaming CPUs will stay the same. Developers still have to run all of their game logic, etc across multiple cores themselves. DirectX is only graphics, that's the only thing DirectX controls, it's not a game engine, just a graphics front-end.

Edit: Oh, and sorry, I didn't notice this was a necro'd thread.

Good point, the engine is still up to the dev. Thanks and it's not really a problem with the necro since I was still confused, I suppose.