Insane Storage Server - Fully 10 Gigabit Network, $1,500 Switch

So what OS's are going onto Whonnock and Ruskin, this was never explained

I believe I saw Freenas somewhere. I know thats what they have used in the past. 

I am VERY excited for this whole project as I am wanting to have a very similar setup but on a much smaller scale. 

Anyone know where Linus got that orange screwdriver or what the brand of it is? I've been looking all over for that exact one lol. I haven't been able to find one that seems as nice and useful as that one that he uses.

I'm confused. What's with the rig on the BitFenix Shadow that's in the shot?

P.S. Intel should totally support the network rendering project. That would be AWESOME.

I believe I saw Freenas somewhere. I know thats what they have used in the past.

According to the diagram shown in the video, that was for the Storinator archive server, not for the two storage servers. Also according to this video, Ruskin runs Windows Home Server so I would venture a guess that Whonnock might be running some flavor of Windows Server as well.

I really enjoy seeing your videos on business grade hardware.  Far more interesting than seeing multiple gpu reviews (not that those are bad).

Nice but why go to all the trouble and use a consumer PSU? You need to get a redundant server grade PSU.

Relatively new to your videos, so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed previously. But I was wondering if there is a reason why you're not taking advantage of some type of cloud storage, namely Amazon's Glacier service for your off-site backups? Is this mainly a cost decision (i.e. your relationships with some companies cutting costs), or is it the possible internet speed bottleneck?

Just curious, does that Netgear 10Gbe switch have a lifetime warranty? Their Prosafe line up has it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You should really use ZFS for the storage array. Going to have a hard time saturating 20 gigabit with just a raid 6. With ZFS you could have a basically an SSD read/write cache to help push out data, as well as using ram as cache.

There's something that I think should be mentioned about the 20gig bandwidth between the switches, with Link Aggregation (LACP in this case) you have 20 gig in total, though a single connection would only be able to use a max of 10 gig. If you wanted to use the full bandwidth of them links combined your switches would have to be able to route between themselves, though I won't get into that.

I have already seen it on vessel, i would like to get a thread as soon as it's available on vessel, not on youtube :(

Lul

Can LMG produce a video on how all these components come together?

I'm js that otherwise I'll probably need some formal training to keep up with the developing equipment.

I'm not being attitudey, I genuinely LOVE servers, and this kind of stuff, especially the idea of render nodes no matter how unrealistic, just genuinely would like to see this stuff explained and I know a lot of other people who watch your videos would like to see that too.

to all viewers of this comment who agree with me, quote my comment (or write your own) and post it.

Cheers.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

"Let the Wookie win."

What mouse and keyboard are used at the start of the video

Can LMG produce a video on how all these components come together?

I'm js that otherwise I'll probably need some formal training to keep up with the developing equipment.

I'm not being attitudey, I genuinely LOVE servers, and this kind of stuff, especially the idea of render nodes no matter how unrealistic, just genuinely would like to see this stuff explained and I know a lot of other people who watch your videos would like to see that too.

to all viewers of this comment who agree with me, quote my comment (or write your own) and post it.

Cheers.

Yeah, I agree completely, the video would've been awesome, but please put a lot of tech quickie videos explaining it in depth, so that the general viewer can better understand. :)

Anyway, I'm jelly as s**t of ur setup, I'm running on 2gbs line right now ;_;

- snip-

Hi Linus, don't know if you see these post ever but I just wanted to tell you that your video's are amazing. I am sure I am not part of your target demographics (52yo white male) but I love your material and delivery.

I am building a freenas box for plex and counting the cord. ZFS2 with 8 6tb red WD and 36 gb storage.

I would love to special on that wher you do an instal of plex, transmission, openVPN, couch potatoe, nzbnd and sick beard. Also with bitorrent sync and own cloud. That is a video I would by. Time to cut the cord.

Thanks again

Can you also talk me into the 10gb thing

• 1 month later...

8 employee??? 

1. Nick 

2. Berikal 

3. Luke

4. Tarran 

5. Linus

6. Brandon

7. Edzel 

8 employee???