Forget ISIS, Hackers and Money—The Universe Is About to Collapse

Arty

Shazbot

VGCA

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

"is about to" is used to express an action that's going to happen in the close future.

Tens of billions of years in the future is not even close to that.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Physicists don't even really know anything certain about the big bang, or if it ever even happened... even if they had said 100 years, it would be a wild guess at best. Hence the word theory.

Aaaaaaaah...i shouldn't even try to respond to...whatever this is.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Holy sensationalist articles, Batman!

"The Universe Is About to Collapse"

Haha

We all know its not gonna last forever, but its not ending in this generation. Unless we destroy earth ourselves of course. 

Idiotic. Why isn't there any evidence, observational data or even a theory in the article? Is making fated and poetic brain farts all it takes to make a theory that gets picked up by the news?

Given the mountains of data and observations gathered by millions which confirm that the universe is not only expanding but expanding at an ever increasing rate.  I'm going to call BS and point an accusing finger at the OP for subjecting others to this.

The big crunch theory was discredited long ago. This is no different.

Is that a rhetorical question? The media will pick up whatever will gather clicks, if you want solid science along with all the facts and details then read a peer reviewed publication.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

We'll just transfer to a different universe. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If the universe does indeed collapse, meaning all matter returned to the space it was at when the big bang occurred......wouldn't it all just explode outward again and create another universe?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's been known for years, but it is all just theories. I could say that the universe will continue accelerating until it reaches the speed of light and it would not be wrong, because (surprise surprise!!) nobody knows what the fuck will happen in some billion years. By then we'll probably have moved on to another Universe/Dimension and we'll be fine. Or we'll have destroyed ourselves before then...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

We'll just transfer to a different universe. 

.....with blackjack and hookers.

M09hGi9.jpg

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Because we won't be up on Mars or some sheit by then

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

It's only a theory. We know the universe is accelerating in expansion however we don't know if it will just keep expanding or it will reach a point and then collapse on itself. Really there is no reason why it wouldn't just keep expanding if our current theories would suggest however that is going on what the universe is expanding into, if the universe is expanding into nothingness it will likely keep expanding but if it's expanding into something it could slow down at some point either stop expanding or collapse. But at the end of the day theories are not like religious beliefs and can and will change.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Did they change their minds on the physics again. I remember the prevailing theory was the universe would continue expanding ad infinitum and eventually we'd see no stars in the sky because we would be so far away from any other solar system no visible light would reach us. Seems they reverted to the big crunch theory.

equationsprofesseurtableauchalkboardless

You'd hate for them to get the equations wrong and suddenly find it's a lot sooner than later...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I was under the impression that dark energy was somehow helping to cause the expansion of the universe, not the contraction?

It's only a theory. We know the universe is accelerating in expansion however we don't know if it will just keep expanding or it will reach a point and then collapse on itself. Really there is no reason why it wouldn't just keep expanding if our current theories would suggest however that is going on what the universe is expanding into, if the universe is expanding into nothingness it will likely keep expanding but if it's expanding into something it could slow down at some point either stop expanding or collapse. But at the end of the day theories are not like religious beliefs and can and will change.

the universe can't by definition expand into Anything even nothingness. The expansion could also slow down or be affected by other so far unprovable theories.

Typical of the steady barrage from the media and the likes, fear mongering us "slaves" into submission/control.

I'd rather be worried about the thousands of nuclear bombs that, the handler is stupid, could go off and take out the entire planet.

Then again the urgency of this threat is ONLY tens of billions of years away give to take billions of years. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

it feels like every day another scientist smokes weed and writes another article without actual proof.

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

I was under the impression that dark energy was somehow helping to cause the expansion of the universe, not the contraction?

the universe can't by definition expand into Anything even nothingness. The expansion could also slow down or be affected by other so far unprovable theories.

Aren't most theories unprovable. Even the ones we have evidence for only have small amounts of evidence. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Firstly they don't know for sure, secondly and lastly it is too far into the future for anyone to give a crap about.

because by then we will have time travel to save us. ^_^

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Aren't most theories unprovable. Even the ones we have evidence for only have small amounts of evidence. 

I think you missed the point. It wasn't about theories being unprovable  at all, or completely, it was about theories that couldn't be proven or supported by evidence yet.

oh no, i hope on my 10 billionth birthday the universe doesn't collapse

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And here I was planning a vacation ten billion years ahead.

Curse you Universe!

The Universe won't collapse.

Not until AMD takes the crown in both CPUs and GPUs markets....(not gonna happen)

(Just a joke, don't start it fangirls)

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569