Forget ISIS, Hackers and Money—The Universe Is About to Collapse

Arty

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/forget-isis-hackers-money-universe-195500241.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/collapse-of-the-universe-is-imminent-catastrophic-event-could-explain-mysteries-of-the-universe-even-if-its-not-for-billions-of-years-10131256.html

Forget ISIS, plane crashes in the ALPS, your student loan, Hillary’s emails, interest rates, Vladimir Putin, the Iran Deal, Ted Cruz, and anything else that keeps you up at night.
Here’s one that could put us all to sleep—permanently. Physicists have figured out that our universe is on an “imminent” track to collapse. As PhysOrg put it, the universe will soon stop expanding and collapse in on itself, obliterating all matter as we know it. To physicists, imminent is like dog years writ large—meaning tens of billions of years, give or take.
Nemanja Kaloper at the University of California, Davis and Antonio Padilla at the University of Nottingham have “proposed a mechanism” for cosmological collapse. Yup…thanks to these two fat brains, we can now safely invest in the manufacturer of Xanax, confident that the sales of the anxiety pill will likely skyrocket (no pun intended).
"The fact that we are seeing dark energy now could be taken as an indication of impending doom, and we are trying to look at the data to put some figures on the end date," Padilla told Phys.org. "Early indications suggest the collapse will kick in in a few tens of billions of years, but we have yet to properly verify this."
The story in PhysOrg goes on to describe how the 13.8 billion year old universe evolves.  It’s complicated. Whenever you have accelerated expansion and dark matter, you might as well throw in the towel—at least that’s what I took away from the report.
"There is much to do," Padilla told PhysOrg. “Over the longer term, we would like to understand how our theory could emerge from a more fundamental theory, such as string theory. It is also important to ask what happens when we consider vacuum energy corrections from quantum gravity."
Sounds perfectly logical, right? Then came Padilla’s Xanax conclusion:
"The present epoch of acceleration may be evidence of impending doom. . . A detailed analysis to better quantify these predictions is certainly warranted."

This is yahoo news so not sure how creditable, ill look up more links

Edited by Arty

Oh no guys! I only have a few ten billion years to live!

Oh wait..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"Early indications suggest the collapse will kick in in a few tens of billions of years, but we have yet to properly verify this" oh

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

imminent in science can mean "only a couple million years"

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Oh no guys! I only have a few ten billion years to live!

Oh wait...

Sorry, Ment to say is i think you have more enough time to live before that happens, (Just make sure the astroid doesnt hit us first)

Edited by Derykey

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 CPU: INTEL G4400 CASE: DIYPC-SOLO-T1-R 

HDD: 160GB SEAGATE SSD: 128GB SAMSUNG PRO 850

POWER SUPPLY: 550W ANTEC

Well, shit. For some reason this made that fear of death thing kick in again... Fucking hell, stupid brain.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well I guess I am on my way to hollywood to have some fun with my favourite stars as long as I can

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Physicists don't even really know anything certain about the big bang, or if it ever even happened... even if they had said 100 years, it would be a wild guess at best. Hence the word theory.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Shazbot

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well, shit. For some reason this made that fear of death thing kick in again... Fucking hell, stupid brain.

I hate it when that happens.

Whoever has written tyat article tried too hard. I smell too much sarcasm. Especially when i read 1 sentence and the one which says "billion years"...

My life lost meaning a while back and i have no motivation, i personally would like this to happen in maximum of 10 years... :/ Not joking.

Edit: I think that this " research" is so stupid that articke writer made fun of the people at Notingham Uni.

Frankly, anybody can say anything if it is supposed be in billion years...none of us will know if its true or even possible. Nobody can imagine billion years, let alone predicting anything.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Wasn't the collapse end theory put to rest since big freeze (expansion keeps happening until there is no more energy left and everything stays still, atoms too far apart of each other to be affected by gravity) and great rip (ever increasing acceleration causes everything to rip apart at atomic level), or however they were called, were deemed more plausible end of universe scenarios?

Old theory re birthed with new imaginations.  Remind me to be scared in a billion years.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Physicists don't even really know anything certain about the big bang, or if it ever even happened... even if they had said 100 years, it would be a wild guess at best. Hence the word theory.

While this article is ridiculous to all end, I don't know if you understand what theory means in a scientific context. I could certainly be wrong, and if so, I humbly apologize, but it sounds like you're using "Theory" in the laymans definition.

Here's a good explanation between the differences of Scientific vs general use "Theory" (Fair warning, it's a bit long):

http://thinking-critically.com/2010/07/08/theory-scientific-vs-laymans-definition/

TL;DR:

Scientific theories are anything but a "wild guess at best".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Old theory re birthed with new imaginations.  Remind me to be scared in a billion years.

lol even in a Billion years, that'd be too early to worry.

I doubt Humanity will even exist during the time of the collapse of the universe. And if it does, then it would likely have evolved into something we would not even recognize.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Meeeeh.. I'm sure we'll transcend in to beings of pure energy within a few million years.  We're fiiiiine.

While this article is ridiculous to all end, I don't know if you understand what theory means in a scientific context. I could certainly be wrong, and if so, I humbly apologize, but it sounds like you're using "Theory" in the laymans definition.

Here's a good explanation between the differences of Scientific vs general use "Theory" (Fair warning, it's a bit long):

http://thinking-critically.com/2010/07/08/theory-scientific-vs-laymans-definition/

TL;DR:

Scientific theories are anything but a "wild guess at best".

Yeah, I know, it's just that it's hard to convey a complex idea in a one-line post ^^ sure, it's not a wild guess at all, but they could be so completely wrong that the difference would be very little.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For f*ck sake you got my hopes up.

But we all know that this is all just a simulation. Lets face it.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Holy clickbait, Batman. Physorg doing their usual thing it seems.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Idiotic. Why isn't there any evidence, observational data or even a theory in the article? Is making fated and poetic brain farts all it takes to make a theory that gets picked up by the news?

Given the mountains of data and observations gathered by millions which confirm that the universe is not only expanding but expanding at an ever increasing rate.  I'm going to call BS and point an accusing finger at the OP for subjecting others to this.
The big crunch theory was discredited long ago. This is no different.

Yeah, I know, it's just that it's hard to convey a complex idea in a one-line post ^^ sure, it's not a wild guess at all, but they could be so completely wrong that the difference would be very little.

Haha so true.

Also, even if they are "accurate" with these theories, even a minor inaccuracy could mean hundreds of millions of years in either direction.

Either way, I'm not worried about the universe ending at all during humanities reign, let alone during my own life.