Powermac G5 casemod [update: mod complete!]

ZimTILZl.jpg

(Note: I've been working on & off on this mod since april last year so I've already got a lot of updates which i copied from my other blog, hope you won't mind  :))

So I wanted to try my hand at a G5 case mod for a while so I finally got myself one:

resources/examples I'm using:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281165-powermac-g5-case-mod/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1287848/portal-powermac-g5-mod

http://www.mineos.phant0m.net/Things/PowerMac_i7.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20130208131350/http://www.tonymacx86.com/79-ultimate-g5-mod-resource-thread.html

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/4525-discussion-fit-a-pc-in-a-g5-powermac-enclosure/page-4#entry156892

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/83409-paint-mac-g5-pro-2.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/93348-neilharts-g5-short-stack-powermac-g5-mod-7.html

How I got it:

It’s a bit beaten up so I’ll be painting it.

yUE4ZMBl.jpg7lUvZcNl.jpg

The tray is in

As for the motherboard tray I'll be using this one

9g98yf9l.jpg283GLOQl.jpg

Cutting to (the) c(h)ase

After I got the tray it was time to cut out the back of the case.

I used a simple hack saw for this. With a more powerful tool like a dremel the process would have been significantly easier, but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TyUhDS3l.jpg3e2973Ll.jpg

Mounting the tray:

Finally got some free time to mount the motherboard tray in the case. By applying some paint on the stack stand-off’s and placing the tray in I got an idea where to drill the holes.

After drilling the holes I could simply fasten the tray in the case with M3.5 screws.

iNVe8cUl.jpgRylf4nql.jpg

Watching paint dry:

With the weather finally improving I got the chance do some painting. I’m quite pleased with the result especially since I’ve never painting anything in my life before. Had to start over 2 times but third time was a charm ;). (The paint used was hammerite aluminium)

Now I’m waiting for the paint to harden so I can reassemble the case.

9Ww4QZBl.jpg

SAAEGv1l.jpgUHlCq3Ul.jpg

Reassembly:

The paint has dried so time to reassemble!

EWKxa2Al.jpg1hPTUzWl.jpg

No more apple logo :D!

in50ufrl.jpg3iP7XSPl.jpg

And with the tray mounted:

FoQCut3l.jpgU5wXJbKl.jpg

bNLCTXAl.jpg

Cut out a hole for the PSU:

Didn't do a lot today, I measured the fan and dimensions of my PSU and test fitted it. Then I traced the hole on the panel and used a dremel to cut it out.

XKQx2q9l.jpg

Mod complete:

The mod is complete! I've installed my computer in the G5 case together with a l240 ekwb water cooling kit. It was quite a hassle fitting everything inside but I'm quite pleased with the result!

rqSde53l.jpg?1hPSid5Ql.jpg?1

khmlNf4l.jpg?12j5Xo2fl.jpg?1

Skills learned so far:

• painting
  • drilling
  • filing
  • sanding
  • cable crimping
  • not keeping budget under control :rolleyes:
  • water cooling

G5 casemod is done :D!

i5 2500K with Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | 8GB @1600 | Club3D HD 7950 royalKing | Corsair Carbide 500R Black | Samsung 830 SSD 128GB + 2TB HDD | XFX ProSeries 750W XXX | dell u2312hm 

Oh god another!

When it rains it pours, you're like the 6th G5 mod going on right now :P

Insta-sub

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Oh god another!

Insta-sub

To be fair I was first, I just didn't post about it :P

i5 2500K with Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | 8GB @1600 | Club3D HD 7950 royalKing | Corsair Carbide 500R Black | Samsung 830 SSD 128GB + 2TB HDD | XFX ProSeries 750W XXX | dell u2312hm 

Oh god another!

Insta-sub

I am also doing one(had the case since summer 2014) but I really need to get some aluminium for the tray/IO plate in order for the project to continue... Now I just have it under my desk :/

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

I am also doing one(had the case since summer 2014) but I really need to get some aluminium for the tray/IO plate in order for the project to continue... Now I just have it under my desk :/

Tell me about it, I already have the next project sitting under my desk (a powermac g3). If you're from the EU you can order a tray/io plate from thelaserhive he builds complete kits to make casemodding the g5 easier, in the US you can take a look at mountain mods I think they have something similar. (found out too late they existed)

If you're from the EU you can order a tray/io plate from thelaserhive he builds complete kits to make casemodding the g5 easier, in the US you can take a look at mountain mods I think they have something similar. (found out too late they existed)

I wanted to get one from MM but the shipping would be around 200$ so it was a pass for me, also the one from TheLaserHive is too expensive for me... I'm better off getting an aluminium sheet and making an IO plate out of it, I also had an idea once of making the mobo tray and IO plate out of  plexi, but I don't know about the strength of that,,,

I wanted to get one from MM but the shipping would be around 200$ so it was a pass for me, also the one from TheLaserHive is too expensive for me... I'm better off getting an aluminium sheet and making an IO plate out of it, I also had an idea once of making the mobo tray and IO plate out of  plexi, but I don't know about the strength of that,,,

It's easiest to find a donor case honestly. One with an inset IO shield isn't too common, but they're like 20 bucks if you buy one at some garage sale locally

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

It's easiest to find a donor case honestly. One with an inset IO shield isn't too common, but they're like 20 bucks if you buy one at some garage sale locally

I have found some listed online, I think I'll buy one soon :D

The paint has dried so time to reassemble!

EWKxa2Al.jpg1hPTUzWl.jpg

No more apple logo :D!

in50ufrl.jpg3iP7XSPl.jpg

And with the tray mounted:

FoQCut3l.jpgU5wXJbKl.jpg

bNLCTXAl.jpg

Didn't do a lot today, I measured the fan and dimensions of my PSU and test fitted it. Then I traced the hole on the panel and used a dremel to cut it out.

XKQx2q9l.jpg

what paint did you use? ,it looks like a great match.

nice work btw  :)

Thx! I used a couple of cans of hammerite aluminium color metal paint.

Thx! I used a couple of cans of hammerite aluminium color metal paint.

Would you say, seeing as you have it in front of you, that it's a good color match?

I'll probably end up getting a can for when i paint

Would you say, seeing as you have it in front of you, that it's a good color match?

I'll probably end up getting a can for when i paint

I'd say it's a pretty good color match, maybe a tad darker but not really noticeable. You would have to put the two right next to each other to see a difference. I don't know however if it's available in the US. When I was researching paint options I found that rustoleum (I think it was used in this mod) and plasti-dip also had colors that matched the case but those aren't easy to find in europe.

I'd say it's a pretty good color match, maybe a tad darker but not really noticeable. You would have to put the two right next to each other to see a difference. I don't know however if it's available in the US. When I was researching paint options I found that rustoleum (I think it was used in this mod) and plasti-dip also had colors that matched the case but those aren't easy to find in europe.

yea, hammerite is available on amazon, but there's not too much of it.

Rustoleum works though, i'll grab a can of that next time i go out to home depot.

• 2 weeks later...

The mod is complete! I've installed my computer in the G5 case together with a l240 ekwb water cooling kit. It was quite a hassle fitting everything inside but I'm quite pleased with the result!

rqSde53l.jpg?1hPSid5Ql.jpg?1

khmlNf4l.jpg?12j5Xo2fl.jpg?1

I wanna do one of these, but I don't have the money nor the DIY skillz

I wanna do one of these, but I don't have the money nor the DIY skillz

I had neither of those too, that's why it took me over a year to finish it  :P. I just bought the stuff bit by bit and learned by doing (see the top post of stuff I've learned while doing this build).

I had neither of those too, that's why it took me over a year to finish it  :P. I just bought the stuff bit by but and learned by doing (see the top post of stuff I've learned while doing this build).

Same here, just started drilling holes in mine yesterday

Really really fine job. Well done.

Thanks!  :D