I'm about to buy this PC. What do you think?

Over

I'm about to buy this PC. What do you think? Is there something I should really change or add, without increasing the budget?

I'm still undecided about Windows 7 or 8. Also, the motherboard could be a MSI Z87_GD65 Gaming and economize 10€. Taking into account performance and sound quality, should I keep the ASUS or go for the MSI?

Here's the setup:

Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Light  I need to choose another one
CORSAIR PRO HX-650W MODULAR
Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150
Intel Core i7 4770k 3.50ghz (3.9Ghz Turbo) 8MB cache
NOCTUA NH-U14S
Evga GTX780 SC ACX 3GB GDDR5 (2784)
16GB GSKILL TRIDENT X DDR3 2400MHZ (10-12-12-31) (2x8GB)
2TB 7200rpm 64Mb Cache Sata 3
SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256GB SATA 3 2.5 SSD (MZ-7PD256BW)
DVDRW 24x
MICROSOFT WINDOWS7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT OEM

Thank you in advance for any advice.

change windows7 to windows 8 for better performence

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

They are both great motherboards with great sound - i would personally go with Asus - but choose the one that match your over all rig look =))

Seems good, if this is a gaming only rig, it is a little bit overkill. 

If you're primarily gaming, a 4670K will be more than enough.

I'd step down to 1600MHz RAM.  2400MHz is expensive, and it won't give you any real performance benefits.  The RAM may not even run that high if you overclock your processor.

Go with the normal Samsung 840.  Sequential writes don't matter, the 840 is just as fast in random reads/writes, and TLC flash will still last many many years for the average consumer.  The 840 Pro is literally for professionals: people who are writing gigs upon gigs of data to the drive every day and would actually benefit from sequential write speeds.

And yes, go with Windows 8.  You can use it just like Windows 7, so there's little reason to buy an old OS.

Looks great otherwise. :)

(If you plan on doing SLI in the future, you probably should step up to 750W.  But for one 780, 650W is definitely more than enough.)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Seems good, if this is a gaming only rig, it is a little bit overkill.

I'm going to use it for gaming and video editing/rendering. What parts do you think are overkill?

If you're primarily gaming, a 4670K will be more than enough.

I'd step down to 1600MHz RAM.  2400MHz is expensive, and it won't give you any real performance benefits.  The RAM may not even run that high if you overclock your processor.

Go with the normal Samsung 840.  Sequential writes don't matter, the 840 is just as fast in random reads/writes, and TLC flash will still last many many years for the average consumer.  The 840 Pro is literally for professionals: people who are writing gigs upon gigs of data to the drive every day and would actually benefit from sequential write speeds.

And yes, go with Windows 8.  You can use it just like Windows 7, so there's little reason to buy an old OS.

Looks great otherwise. :)

(If you plan on doing SLI in the future, you probably should step up to 750W.  But for one 780, 650W is definitely more than enough.)

Thanks. I'm not planning on doing SLI, but I'll want to OC later. Do you think 650W might be too tight?

The way you list the parts makes it sound (at least to me) like it is a prebuilt computer. How much does it cost? The parts aren't really price:performance optimized either, so you pay a premium for components which only perform slightly better than cheaper parts.

I'm going to use it for gaming and video editing/rendering. What parts do you think are overkill?

Thanks. I'm not planning on doing SLI, but I'll want to OC later. Do you think 650W might be too tight?

Nah.  650W is plenty.

If you're doing a decent amount of video editing, then you could benefit from the 4770K.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Change the psu if you can I have had lots of problems with 3 corsair psu's , I could have been unlucky but still... 1600 ram is enough .. think diesel's (from linus media group) pc uses 1333 ram.

The way you list the parts makes it sound (at least to me) like it is a prebuilt computer. How much does it cost? The parts aren't really price:performance optimized either, so you pay a premium for components which only perform slightly better than cheaper parts.

It was a prebuilt computer, but I asked to change the RAM (originally 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1600Mhz DDR3), the PSU (Evga Supernova Nex650G Gold), the SSD (Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Sata 3) and the cooler (Corsair Hydro H60 (2013)).

The RAM change it was because I thought the more and faster, the better, specially for video work. The PSU was recommended by a friend, the SSD was just to get extra space and the cooler I've researched a little bit and it looked like a more efficient and specially a more silent option. That was my reasoning, but I might be wrong, that's why I'm asking for your advice. :)

Well it's not that any part is bad, it's just that you can get like 90% the performance, for 70% of the price (pulling numbers out of thin air but you get my point). I am going to put together something on PCpartpicker which I think would give better price:performance, yet quite similar performance.

building your own computer is like adult legos. just remember the one rule of thumb: if it doesn't look like it fits, it doesn't fit. and don't force it.

and yeah, what you got there is pretty much overkill... and something that costs about 2/3 of that will run almost the same.

and if you only have a 60hz monitor, you'll never see the benefit of anything more than a 780.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Here is a somewhat similar build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1e7qj

Changes compared to your build:
Different case - Corsair 400R instead of CM 690 lite (benefits are things like USB 3.0)
Different PSU - Corsair TX650 v2 instead of HX650 (drawback is that it's not modular)
Different motherboard - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 instead of Asus Z87-Pro (main difference is that it's a different socket but more on that later)
Different CPU - AMD FX-8320 instead of Intel i7-4770K (the AMD chip will be slower, but chances are it won't be that much difference in some situations. It's a lot cheaper so that's why I opted for this instead. Will post an Intel build as well soon)
Different cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo instead of Noctua NH-U14S (drawback is that it will probably be slightly louder, and not cool quite as well (only a ~3 degree difference according to TechPowerUp at typical load. I think the much lower price is worth it though)

Different RAM - Corsair 16GB at 1600MHz CL10 instead of G-Skill 16GB at 2400MHz CL10 (Same capacity but slightly slower. I highly doubt that you would even notice a difference, even in synthetic benchmarks)

Different HDD - 1TB Western Digital Black instead of 2TB generic drive (Benefit: Most likely faster. Drawback: Half the size, but I assume you are going to install a lot of the things which need a lot of speed on the SSD, and maybe just some big games on the HDD, as well as movies and such)

Different SSD - 250GB Samsung 840 instead of 256GB Samsung 840 Pro (drawback: Slightly slower, and slightly lower durability, but neither of those should be noticeable except in synthetic benchmarks)

It's kind of hard to build without knowing your budget. Anyway, I highly recommend you build it yourself. It's very educational, fun as well as cheaper.

Thanks for the help, but I really, really prefer Intel CPUs. The graphics card I prefer the SC ACX version, which even surpasses the Titan in many benchmarks, while being colder and more silent than the base card.

Silence is also important to me, that's why I've decided to make an effort and pay a little bit more for the Noctua.

What do you mean about the case? I think CM 690 II Advanced Light supports USB 3.0, that's what CM's site says, or is there something I should know?

What do you mean about the case? I think CM 690 II Advanced Light supports USB 3.0, that's what CM's site says, or is there something I should know?

Well they might have updated it if that's the case, but the original CM 690 II only has USB 2.0.

CM 690 II Advanced

I/O Panel: USB 2.0 x 2 , eSATA x 1 , MIC x 1 , Audio x 1 (supports HD / AC97 audio)

Never mind, they do have a version with USB 3.0. Make sure you get the correct one.

Thanks for calling my attention to this. I just assumed it was the USB 3 version, but I'm gonna check it with the store.

I'm about to buy this PC. What do you think? Is there something I should really change or add, without increasing the budget?

I'm still undecided about Windows 7 or 8. Also, the motherboard could be a MSI Z87_GD65 Gaming and economize 10€. Taking into account performance and sound quality, should I keep the ASUS or go for the MSI?

Here's the setup:

Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Light

Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150

NOCTUA NH-U14S

DVDRW 24x

Your build looks great tbh.....for video editing/rendering it should do just fine. About the motherboadrs, i have the msi gd-65 and some people have reported the same problem i had. I used a low quality psu(cx750) with it and it didnt turn on correctly. I changed to a hx750 and now everything is fine. The motherboard is great tbh and only some of them seem to have this issue....other people are using a cx750 with my mobo just fine. The sound from the board however is great =D the onboard sound is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than any other pc i have ever used and the military class 4 components dont hurt either =) i would recommend this mobo if you really wanted it. The dragons are also a great touch...

-ANubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Here's the setup:

Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Light

Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150

NOCTUA NH-U14S

DVDRW 24x

Looks good. I might drop speed down on RAM for cheaper price and not much of drastic loss in performance.

I would chose a different case and 1600 RAM (maybe even add a sound card) but otherwise that's a good choice of components :)

Hes using the computer for video editing and rendering...wouldnt higher speed memory be better for him? and when he does use it for gaming it wont decrease its performance if he has higher clocked memory.

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Hes using the computer for video editing and rendering...wouldnt higher speed memory be better for him? and when he does use it for gaming it wont decrease its performance if he has higher clocked memory.

-Anubikai

Memory beyond 1600 is really only worth it if the OP is doing heavy rendering. Anything other than that won't notice much, if any improvement.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you guys. You saved me from a big disapointment. The Coolermaster case doesn't have USB3 indeed. They sugested the CM 690II Advanced USB3 for 20€ more.

Since everyone is telling me the RAM is overkill, I think I'll cut a little bit there and invest more in the case. I'm thinking about the FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 TITANIUM GREY - WINDOW. It looks nice, and favours silence and looks like less prone to dust. What do you think?

Edit: Or, to not increase my budget, I could go for the COOLERMASTER SILENCIO 550. What's better and more indicated for my setup?

Edit2: LAwLz, you recomended Corsair RAM at 1600MHz with CL11. But for just 7€ more, I can get two of CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 1600MHZ CAS9 (1x8GB). Lower CAS is better, right? Also, there's two versions: 1x8GB and 2x4GB (so, for 16GB, that would be 2x8GB or 4x4GB). What's better and faster?

I need to give a reply soon, anyone can help with my doubts, please?

get 2 8gbs and low cas is faster but nothing you will notice in every day usage.....maybe in editing but im not sure. Just get 2x8gb cas9 1600mhz and oc it to 1866mhz......your case options are great, just get the one you like the look of. ultimately your going to use it so it essential you have something you really like.

-Anubikai

Will the Noctua fit in Coolermaster Silencio 550? In the pics, the case looks smaller than CM 690 and FD R4...