Audeze LCD-2 (Fazor) vs Hifiman HE-560 vs Sennheiser HD 800

Yeah, the LCD-X is a beautiful looking pair of headphones. By far the best looking in my opinion too. Has that all-black, rugged, yet elegant look. But a good deal more expensive than both the HD 800 and LCD-2 especially used.

LOL: www.head-fi.org/t/760083/wts-audeze-lcd-x 

I'm planning to try out the HD800 as soon as I have the time. But yeah, you're right, next time I should try the headphones before doing the research. Just that it's incredibly hard to find shops that actually have demo units of these headphones to test out. And testing them PROPERLY can be hard too. Especially with all the ambient noise in the shop. Plus i'm guessing the best way to test would be to play from your own amp and audio source? So that means I'd have to bring my laptop and amp (which is not the portable version btw). But I'm sure there's a better way than that?

It's also metal casing instead of wood. It was quite heavy to use though. I can't believe Audeze gave me that piece of shit stock cable though.

Yes, it's probably best if you use your own tracks.  As long as you're not trying it out on a tube amp, it should be fine. The music shop I went to took my flash drive and put the tracks onto the auditioning PC so I could listen to my tracks. It was on a Chord Hugo, and that is satisfactory. You don't need an uber amp and dac. You just need one that is transparent... Which isn't hard to do if the people there aren't morons. Of course, there's not much I can do about the noise level of the shop near you. My shop was pretty quiet though. Maybe go during opening? Less people?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Homey, check out the newest reply to that thread.  :)

HAHA! Laughing so hard right now. Man.

The "or best offer" makes it even more hilarious, haha!

It's also metal casing instead of wood. It was quite heavy to use though. I can't believe Audeze gave me that piece of shit stock cable though.

Yes, it's probably best if you use your own tracks.  As long as you're not trying it out on a tube amp, it should be fine. The music shop I went to took my flash drive and put the tracks onto the auditioning PC so I could listen to my tracks. It was on a Chord Hugo, and that is satisfactory. You don't need an uber amp and dac. You just need one that is transparent... Which isn't hard to do if the people there aren't morons. Of course, there's not much I can do about the noise level of the shop near you. My shop was pretty quiet though. Maybe go during opening? Less people?

Yup, good idea. I'll try that. I haven't been to that shop I mentioned that has the HD800 though so hopefully it'll be better. There was this other shop which had the HD 598, 558 and 518 available for testing but It was on a university campus so it was pretty much noisy all the time.

One thing I noticed is that planners at least from audeze seems to be damaged a lot more and actually start to just sound worse after a while.

Now that's not every headphone but it is very common according to many posts on head fi just something to consider.

Could you name a few with a warm or neutral sound signature?

And how would you describe the T50RP?

One man's neutral is another's harsh and sibilant.  :P

Modded T50RP's can be made to sound like whatever you want. I've a review of Mayflower's V3 in my signature - tldr it's very similar to the HD 650.

I'm leaning more toward the HD 800 now. I've heard the HD 800s being often described as "revealing", "unforgiving" and "amp picky". Is it that "detailed" that you can spot flaws in the music?

You've mentioned that there's not much difference in terms of  "clarity" and "detail" between the HD800s and other headphones, so why aren't other headphones being described as "revealing" and "unforgiving" like the HD800 is?

Because sound is logarithmic, treble has the most information in it. The line is drawn differently depending on who you ask, but bass is somewhere within 2 - 200 Hz, Midrange between 200 - 2,000 Hz, and Treble between 2,000 - 20,000 Hz. That's 9 times more information than bass and mids combined. Having a forward treble response allows your ear to hear the softer treble information which may otherwise be hidden (it's harder to hear a soft noise when a louder noise is occurring). 

"Amp picky" is just people who don't like the sound signature trying to change it with various amplifiers (and being unsuccessful since amplifiers aren't supposed to alter the signal).

I read somewhere that one of the cause why HD800 could potentially sounds very different when plugged to different devices (dubbed: amp picky) is due to its crazy spiking impedance value across frequency bands. The interactions between HD800 and the various amps will differ quite a bit. Small amps might not have the adequate voltage to push it properly right in the mountain peak of impedance value. This is one side where planars excels compared to dynamics, because planars got relatively flat values: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=3651&graphID[]=2321&scale=30

As to is it true or not, or how much the effects can be heard (if it's true), I don't really know. 

The impedance spike around the resonant frequency is irrelevant. The efficiency goes up as you get closer to the peak, counteracting the impedance change. 

Because sound is logarithmic, treble has the most information in it. The line is drawn differently depending on who you ask, but bass is somewhere within 2 - 200 Hz, Midrange between 200 - 2,000 Hz, and Treble between 2,000 - 20,000 Hz. That's 9 times more information than bass and mids combined.

20-200Hz, 200Hz-2kHz, and 2kHz-20kHz all span the same number of octaves. A doubling in frequency is an octave.

The standard audible range neatly spans about 10 octaves, and dividing into bass at <200Hz, mids at <2000Hz and treble at <20000Hz results in equal thirds of about 3.3 octaves each.

Treble contains "detail" because a. transients have lots of high frequency informations and b. less information can be contained in a sample of say 1/20th of a second than 1/20000th. Try applying a low pass filter to some music in Audacity at around 100Hz and let me know how "detailed" it sounds.

20-200Hz, 200Hz-2kHz, and 2kHz-20kHz all span the same number of octaves. A doubling in frequency is an octave.

It may not have more musical notes, but it does have more out-of-tune musical notes.

It may not have more musical notes, but it does have more out-of-tune musical notes.

Nope. Pitch is infinitely variable.

But the human ear is not infinitely sensitive.

My dick is.

But seriously, the ear also operates on a logarithmic scale with regards to pitch. So there really are not more audible frequencies high in the audible range than low. Assuming an audible threshold of 5 cents, that equates to the same number of discrete, audible pitches whether that high or low in the frequency range. "Octave" is not just a musical term, it's simply a word for the range encompassed by a doubling of frequency. The ear cannot perceive more subdivisions of an octave at high frequencies than low.