Audeze LCD-2 (Fazor) vs Hifiman HE-560 vs Sennheiser HD 800

Can I choose all?  :D

You should probably add in this list the Grado's PS1000 and the BeyerDynamic T1's (that are custom made also). All of them sound good and if you've reached this level you should know by now what to expect from them ..

if you've reached this level you should know by now what to expect from them ..

This is truly quote of the week....

Honestly I can't imagine ordering a $1000+ or so headphones blindly, without knowing how they sound, how are the built, etc, myself. Well, perhaps if my income is $10.000 a week, I'd do just that....

This is truly quote of the week....

Honestly I can't imagine ordering a $1000+ or so headphones blindly, without knowing how they sound, how are the built, etc, myself. Well, perhaps if my income is $10.000 a week, I'd do just that....

Never under-estimate how stupid people can be

Well, you already know my opinion lol.

I don't recommend buying anything until you've tried them.

Yeah, i've been trying to find a shop near my place that has demo units for me to try out. So far, I've found one shop that has the HD 800 to test but I have yet to go there.

So, does the HD 800 sound as bright or "sparkly" as people say or is the treble just slightly elevated with an overall neutral sound sig?

I'd say it's slightly elevated but the lean bass make the treble stand out more.

Some really like it and it is really an impressive headphone to hear but it is also really lacking in the bass.

A tube amp could probobly solve that but tube amps have their own inconveniences

Yeah, i've been trying to find a shop near my place that has demo units for me to try out. So far, I've found one shop that has the HD 800 to test but I have yet to go there.

So, does the HD 800 sound as bright or "sparkly" as people say or is the treble just slightly elevated with an overall neutral sound sig?

Everybody has their own opinion and with headphones I can't give an objective answer. My opinion is that it is neutral with a bit of extra treble. I had quite a bit of fun with Battlefield with the HD800s because it sounds quite open.

I'd definitely visit that shop before you buy. Some people try more expensive headphones and they realized they're really just fine with much for budget-friendly cans and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Or, you might decide HD800s are the best thing ever. Don't forget that HD600s and HD650s exist too. I'd give them a go too.

Also I feel the HD800s are the most comfy out of those 3 headphones. LCDs are heavy cans. Whether the comfort will be a problem is probably something you will only really figure out once you've worn it for quite a while, not after 10 minutes in a music shop. The stock LCD-X cable I used was an odd shape, had a bulky connector, and exhibited a little bit of microphonics which annoyed me.

Oh yeah, and listen to Lays, he's tried out similar headphones as I have. We're audio butt-buddies.  :lol:

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I'd say it's slightly elevated but the lean bass make the treble stand out more.

Some really like it and it is really an impressive headphone to hear but it is also really lacking in the bass.

A tube amp could probobly solve that but tube amps have their own inconveniences

Tbh it doesn't really have much less bass than the LCD-2 in my experience.

It's very neutral to my ears, and very open.  Almost like you're not even wearing headphones, and man oh man are they insanely comfortable.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The HE-560 really isn't on the same level as the HD-800 and LCD-2. I love my fazored LCD-2s and can't possibly give a higher recommendation for them. I'd say the LCD-2s sound like real life and are extremely immersive and fun. They sound just like the artist wanted the music to sound, and have great imagery and separation. The bass, mids, and highs are all amazing and don't interfere with each other. All music is just so fun to listen to that I've started listening to many new genes.

The HD-800 is also a very good headphone. They're extremely detailed to the point of being pretty analytical, and that's why I went for the LCDs instead. I've seen this said many times: the HD-800s sound like an amazing set of headphones, the LCD-2s sound like real life.

CPU: i7-5820k | Mobo: Asus X99-Deluxe | RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 | Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive; Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | GPUs: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 | Audio: Audeze LCD​-2; Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC

The HE-560 really isn't on the same level as the HD-800 and LCD-2. I love my fazored LCD-2s and can't possibly give a higher recommendation for them. I'd say the LCD-2s sound like real life and are extremely immersive and fun. They sound just like the artist wanted the music to sound, and have great imagery and separation. The bass, mids, and highs are all amazing and don't interfere with each other. All music is just so fun to listen to that I've started listening to many new genes.

The HD-800 is also a very good headphone. They're extremely detailed to the point of being pretty analytical, and that's why I went for the LCDs instead. I've seen this said many times: the HD-800s sound like an amazing set of headphones, the LCD-2s sound like real life.

This just sounds like a promotion or you're trying to reassure yourself why you bought LCD-2.

LCD-2 doesn't sound "real" at all. It's a dark headphone. LCD-2 is good but not without flaw. FR dips after 1khz which makes it sounds polite, but it lacks the air. I tried LCD-2 with schiit ragnarok and currently have a tour unit of PM-1 and both lacks the airiness compared to HD600.

HE560 is a headphone almost without flaw that many prefer over LCD-x, so can you elaborate about it not being on the same level as LCD-2 and HD800?

This just sounds like a promotion or you're trying to reassure yourself why you bought LCD-2.

LCD-2 doesn't sound "real" at all. It's a dark headphone. LCD-2 is good but not without flaw. FR dips after 1khz which makes it sounds polite, but it lacks the air. I tried LCD-2 with schiit ragnarok and currently have a tour unit of PM-1 and both lacks the airiness compared to HD600.

HE560 is a headphone almost without flaw that many prefer over LCD-x, so can you elaborate about it not being on the same level as LCD-2 and HD800?

He-560 also has huge problems with driver excursion, and MANY people in the he-560 thread complain about them having issues with glasses.

It's possible you could easily damage the driver if you listened to loudly without a perfect seal, a problem other headphones don't have issues with that cost MUCH less than the 560.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

He-560 also has huge problems with driver excursion, and MANY people in the he-560 thread complain about them having issues with glasses.

It's possible you could easily damage the driver if you listened to loudly without a perfect seal, a problem other headphones don't have issues with that cost MUCH less than the 560.

I'm talking about 560's sound quality :ph34r:

I'm talking about 560's sound quality :ph34r:

Usability to achieve said sound quality should be just as important doge :P

Voted HD800 because hi-end planars are dumb. There would be many cheaper cans I'd pick instead though.

Voted HD800 because hi-end planars are dumb. There would be many cheaper cans I'd pick instead though.

Is there any other kind of planar?

Is there any other kind of planar?

Modded T50RP's can be good, and the driver isn't unreasonably enormous.

Could you name a few with a warm or neutral sound signature?

And how would you describe the T50RP?

Could you name a few with a warm or neutral sound signature?

And how would you describe the T50RP?

T50RP itself is meh, but modded T50RP are popular. For instance, Alpha dogs by mr.speakers

Tbh it doesn't really have much less bass than the LCD-2 in my experience.

It's very neutral to my ears, and very open.  Almost like you're not even wearing headphones, and man oh man are they insanely comfortable.

I'm leaning more toward the HD 800 now. I've heard the HD 800s being often described as "revealing", "unforgiving" and "amp picky". Is it that "detailed" that you can spot flaws in the music?

You've mentioned that there's not much difference in terms of  "clarity" and "detail" between the HD800s and other headphones, so why aren't other headphones being described as "revealing" and "unforgiving" like the HD800 is?

BTW, I still haven't had a chance to try them out since I haven't had the time. Might stick with HE-500 for a while since I'm very satisfied with it. Not at all a good idea to spend more money just to satisfy my own curiosity, lol. Also, It's real difficult to find a used pair of headphones where I live and shipping costs to New Zealand can be ridiculously high.

T50RP itself is meh, but modded T50RP are popular. For instance, Alpha dogs by mr.speakers

I actually considered the T50RP before I got the HE-500. I saw a few of Tek Syndicate's videos where Logan and Tyler talked about them. What stopped me from buying those were the aesthetics, lol. I'm way too obsessed with aesthetics sometimes, and it's not something i'm proud of.

I'm leaning more toward the HD 800 now. I've heard the HD 800s being often described as "revealing", "unforgiving" and "amp picky". Is it that "detailed" that you can spot flaws in the music?

You've mentioned that there's not much difference in terms of  "clarity" and "detail" between the HD800s and other headphones, so why aren't other headphones being described as "revealing" and "unforgiving" like the HD800 is?

You don't need top-drawer headphones to hear flaws in music; these particular cans just make it easier.

DT 880 and AKG K701 come to mind as being described as revealing. Supposedly the HD 800 is even more "refined" whatever that means. Far as I can tell, it just has the most treble. But it definitely isn't the only headphone that is described that way. "Amp picky" is just audiophile bs; the HD 800 is eaiser to drive than a lot of cheaper headphones.

gallery_40059_1318_12005.png

I read somewhere that one of the cause why HD800 could potentially sounds very different when plugged to different devices (dubbed: amp picky) is due to its crazy spiking impedance value across frequency bands. The interactions between HD800 and the various amps will differ quite a bit. Small amps might not have the adequate voltage to push it properly right in the mountain peak of impedance value. This is one side where planars excels compared to dynamics, because planars got relatively flat values: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=3651&graphID[]=2321&scale=30

As to is it true or not, or how much the effects can be heard (if it's true), I don't really know. 

I read somewhere that one of the cause why HD800 could potentially sounds very different when plugged to different devices (dubbed: amp picky) is due to its crazy spiking impedance value across frequency bands. Small amps might not have the adequate voltage to push it properly right in the mountain peak of impedance value. This is one side where planars excels compared to dynamics, because planars got relatively flat values: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=3651&graphID[]=2321&scale=30

As to is it true or not, or how much the effects can be heard (if it's true), I don't really know.

Not true, at least not for that reason. The resonant frequency has implications for control (damping), not power requirement.

Again, I think people exaggerate too much. HD800s never made me cry man-tears because of how good it is, and I wager no headphone ever will. Do the HD800s sound open? Yes, they are very open sounding for headphones. Will you be tricked into thinking it's speakers or the real thing? No. Will the clear sound with some treble make some things subjectively seem less forgiving? ...I dunno, possibly? And not everything that is passed around as fact for the HD800s have to be rooted in fact, like amp picky part. You might say that since so many people on Headfi felt that way, surely there must be a kernal of truth to it? After all, it's such a specific claim for a specific headphone. (Well, I have some explanations for that but it's really irrelevant.) Same goes for 'ruthlessly unforgiving nature' of the HD800s. At least, it's so incredibly exaggerated it's basically false. In terms of finding more flaws in the music, I think a much larger difference is in the differences in perception from person to person than from headphone to headphone I think... I've read on Headfi of some guys new to it worried that owning an HD800 will be problematic not only because they will need 2k+ amps, but also because they thought it was so ruthlessly revealing that they won't even enjoy their music anymore. That whole situation is wrong on SO many levels I can't even begin to count them all.

I have not tried the T50RPs, but in the limited time I had with the Mad Dog ($300, a T50RP modded headphone), I had a very positive experience with it. It's a great headphone that also happens to be cheap (relatively speaking). Somebody told me that they felt Mayflower has T50RP mods that sound as good for slightly cheaper. Maybe, I dunno. The Alpha Dogs might be slightly better, and look better too since you said aesthetics matter. These are not open headphones though. And they're all more comfy than the LCD2. Although on another note, I personally feel that the LCDs are all very good looking, and the LCDX in particular is the nicest looking pair of headphones I know. The HD800s are kind of space-man, although I'm not really bothered. The HD600/650s are from what, the 80s? 90s? Dunno, but they look the part. But I try not to let it affect my buying decisions too much. I don't see myself wearing headphones when I'm wearing them.

The problem I think, with doing all this research ahead of time is that it fills your head with a million expectation biases. It would probably have been best if you tried out the headphone and then read closely what people think, in that order.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Again, I think people exaggerate too much. HD800s never made me cry man-tears because of how good it is, and I wager no headphone ever will. Do the HD800s sound open? Yes, they are very open sounding for headphones. Will you be tricked into thinking it's speakers or the real thing? No. Will the clear sound with some treble make some things subjectively seem less forgiving? ...I dunno, possibly? And not everything that is passed around as fact for the HD800s have to be rooted in fact, like amp picky part. You might say that since so many people on Headfi felt that way, surely there must be a kernal of truth to it? After all, it's such a specific claim for a specific headphone. (Well, I have some explanations for that but it's really irrelevant.) Same goes for 'ruthlessly unforgiving nature' of the HD800s. At least, it's so incredibly exaggerated it's basically false. In terms of finding more flaws in the music, I think a much larger difference is in the differences in perception from person to person than from headphone to headphone I think... I've read on Headfi of some guys new to it worried that owning an HD800 will be problematic not only because they will need 2k+ amps, but also because they thought it was so ruthlessly revealing that they won't even enjoy their music anymore. That whole situation is wrong on SO many levels I can't even begin to count them all.

I have not tried the T50RPs, but in the limited time I had with the Mad Dog ($300, a T50RP modded headphone), I had a very positive experience with it. It's a great headphone that also happens to be cheap (relatively speaking). Somebody told me that they felt Mayflower has T50RP mods that sound as good for slightly cheaper. Maybe, I dunno. The Alpha Dogs might be slightly better, and look better too since you said aesthetics matter. These are not open headphones though. And they're all more comfy than the LCD2. Although on another note, I personally feel that the LCDs are all very good looking, and the LCDX in particular is the nicest looking pair of headphones I know. The HD800s are kind of space-man, although I'm not really bothered. The HD600/650s are from what, the 80s? 90s? Dunno, but they look the part. But I try not to let it affect my buying decisions too much. I don't see myself wearing headphones when I'm wearing them.

The problem I think, with doing all this research ahead of time is that it fills your head with a million expectation biases. It would probably have been best if you tried out the headphone and then read closely what people think, in that order.

Yeah, the LCD-X is a beautiful looking pair of headphones. By far the best looking in my opinion too. Has that all-black, rugged, yet elegant look. But a good deal more expensive than both the HD 800 and LCD-2 especially used.

I'm planning to try out the HD800 as soon as I have the time. But yeah, you're right, next time I should try the headphones before doing the research. Just that it's incredibly hard to find shops that actually have demo units of these headphones to test out. And testing them PROPERLY can be hard too. Especially with all the ambient noise in the shop. Plus i'm guessing the best way to test would be to play from your own amp and audio source? So that means I'd have to bring my laptop and amp (which is not the portable version btw). But I'm sure there's a better way than that?