New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

Does Vessel supports 1080p 60fps? 

Also, tell Vessel to MAKE ANDROID APP ASAP!!!!

Yes, I am so disappointed because its a Paid Platform and it doesn't have a Android App.

I have been unable to watch any videos on Fedora 21. I'm using Firefox 36 and have the flash plugin installed. (I'm not sure if they use HTML5, flash, or something worse.) Anyone else run into issues on linux? It gives the error "Oops! Looks like you need to update your browser to its latest version to stream this video. If you need assistance, feel free to contact us here." I did contact them there so I'll see if they respond.

I did play around with a User Agent switcher although I couldn't get any common agent to work.

I'm going to call it early access because it technically is, and early access is dumb unless a product is still in beta. There is no reason whatsoever why content should be delayed on other platforms, and it's even more stupid when the platform that gets the content first is a payed service.

Ye ole' train

Good to see you guys grow and make good decisions.

Vessel seems great, but yea I must agree with others this point - no option to choose quality. I personally don't care about 4k, but I cannot even see FullHD, only blur. But I am sure Vessel will fix that in future and I really look forward to it.

You guys have inspired me so much that I even might start my own tech business where I live, but it's going to be rocky road.

Keep it up guys and enjoy your work ;)

Could you ask Vessel to make a Windows Phone app please

Thanks

I'm guessing Android might be a higher priority. ;)

I think that what you are doing is kind of a backstabbing acction.
I can't watch your content on android and that's where I mainly watch on my phone.
You think that most of your viewers are going to transition to Vessel?
You are just going to lose subscribers and youtube is going to get on you.
what is going to happen: 

You get more money per view on vessel, but you think that you're audience is going to get bigger on vessel like it's growing on youtube.
In the long run, you'll see what happens.

I found it really annoying that they made me sub to at least 7 channels before I could do anything. I just wanted to try the service also i find it kind of weird that I only see your videos and videos from randoms on the homepage and not any of the other subs

I just signed up, but I don't get the free year thing. I cannot view your latest videos, without it asking for a subscription. I plan on subscribing, but I would love a free year. I don't get it.

Send me a PM with your email you used to sign up! I'll try to get this worked out as soon as possible for you.

Vessel seems pretty good so far, but unfortunately for me my internet is far too slow to watch any videos on Vessel without significant stuttering or buffering. The resolution setting goes from HD to 'auto' which is not low enough for my internet to stream smoothly.

Also, when using YouTube I like to use the x2 speed option to get through large amounts of video quickly without skipping anything - another feature Vessel doesn't have.

However, I do think it is really great the LMG is expanding to other video platforms and not relying on YouTube/Google as much and I totally respect the decision. Maybe one day when I can get faster internet speeds or Vessel allows for lower resolution streams I will use this new platform, but for the time being I will stick with YouTube.

Sorry to hear that :( just got confirmation that they will be working on caching and adding more quality options as we move out of release, so let's hope that gets fixed sooner than later!

Have brought that up, haven't received a response yet.

Thank you for the support! Every view counts, no matter where it is. Hopefully we'll get some different quality options on Vessel soon :)

LTT Scrapyard Wars, the Netflix Original series coming next?

HAHA! We wish...

Awesome stuff. Signed up and will be glad to pay after the free year!

Nice of you guys to do this appreciate it alot!

Thank you so much for the support!

Does Vessel supports 1080p 60fps? 

Also, tell Vessel to MAKE ANDROID APP ASAP!!!!

Not yet, but they're adding more quality options soon.

We're hoping they'll get some support going soon!

It's cool but people ain't gonna unstick from YT that easy. Especially for a paid platform.

Totally agree, but we felt like it was a good time to diversify! We're not expecting everyone to switch over, but if some people enjoy the Vessel platform more, we want to make sure that is available to them as well.

My Vessel name is: Inlanzer

My 2 favorite videos I've watched and commented on are

1) https://www.vessel.com/videos/JemZ8O7Hy

2) https://www.vessel.com/videos/LCoY5zfFf

Please post over in http://bit.ly/linusgiveaway

This is the thread for feedback, we're tracking entries over there :)

I'm loving Vessel just for the black theme...unlike Youtube and all the best Team Linus!

Right on!

Thanks for your support!!!

Recently with all the changes to YouTube, the site is really laggy on lower end systems, so what is Vessel going to do to make sure their site runs smooth, even on slower hardware?

Just heard from them, they'll be optimizing for a variety of system qualities by offering different resolution options, hopefully different bitrates as well. They want to be available to everyone, but it definitely will take some time.

Are there going to be any Vessel exclusive videos?

Nope - every one of our videos will still be available through YouTube!

You know what'd be cool?

If we can customize how our Vessel UI looks like. For example, I don't like the position or size of the comment section, I just fire up the settings page and move stuff around.

Another thing they could add is custom backgrounds. For example if I'm watching a video on LTT channel, there will be a LTT background etc.

I know you guys are not Vessel but I feel like you guys would be the best to convey these opinions to Vessel.

Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue

Can we Europeans get every Vessel contend or is it like Hulu or Netflix. Because Vessel is offering MSL Games and for Example German IP's can be blocked, because of the Vessel content. If this happens, are you give the Europeans another Early Access Option? 

For a paid subscription service, videos load pretty slow.

I understand you're trying to fund your enterprise, but there is just no reason to move over to Vessel for me. I used youtube every day so I more just watch videos out of covnenience.

I understand that you're trying to make that jump to be free of youtube, but Im just not interested at visiting a new site.

There have been instances of this, or even people paywalling their videos on youtube, they usually get backlash.

Since you're putting everything on youtube I don't really care. It makes no real difference to me if I wait a week, because not much of the content is really needed the week its released, its not current affairs. I just don't really want to see a general 'negative' tone around the channel, as that does happen when people try these breakouts.

So goodluck guys, I'm not really interested in making the jump straight away, but you seem very open about it. I do feel for you that you build a successful company and are still effectively owned by youtube and have no other real possibility of a popular platform.

I'll copy and paste my prior into here, so as not to bring distraction from that thread.

The only issue is that it didn't issue me the free year. I personally don't mind, it's not a big deal at all, but for some people it might be.

Otherwise, it worked flawlessly.

And while it's been said already, no doubt..

This is very very cool, guys. This is why this is my tech forum of choice. Not the giveaway, but how well you guys treat us all. No we don't always get along but we always rally. And the people running it really care about the people enjoying it. I got this email at the airport at 3 in the morning and it perked me right up. Keep up the amazing work, fellas. And good luck with the future endeavors!

One giant tech community, I love it.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Just signed up, this doesn't work well for me. Also why is there no big feedback button on their website, how do I get in contact with them? Actually I already know, their support system, but it took me 20 minutes to find that exists and where it was.

Not an amazing support thing though hah. Early days I guess.

@LinusTech I love supporting LTT. I've bought 5 t-shirts so far, and I have specifically disabled my adblocker on the youtube channel, as well as the forum. Being in college, I can't exactly afford to pay the monthly fee to be a forum contributor. 

There is one thing I can say for certain. When my free year of vessel premium is up, I will not be renewing it. Paying someone else money, for early access to my favorite content from someone else just seems silly to me. I understand LMG has to do this to stay afloat as a business and I know vessel has to make money too, but there has to be another more viable model.

I am curious as to what will happen when everyone's free year is up. Will we still get access to your content on vessel before it shows up on youtube? If that isn't the case, I am wondering how many of the user-base will stick with vessel over youtube. If that happens, does the new ad monetization model still remain viable? Youtube has gotten too big to completely abandon, and some of my other content creators are not as fortunate to have an offer from vessel.

Eh I sure as hell wont use it after the free year unless something drastically changes. I'm all for supporting LMG, I like you disabled my adblock on the forum and his youtube channels. But I'm not about to pay a subscription or fee to someone else just to watch LTT I would rather pay LMG directly then pay a "meh" site at best.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I quite like the idea of diversifying from Youtube and not having your eggs all in one basket, so this seems a pretty good move for LMG. Depending on if the issues that people have been talking about get fixed (app, 4k/60fps playback) I'll probably keep using it for your videos in the future.

Signed up... But the video keep lagging and the video quality color is kinda pale....

I think LTT is really underestimating how much this will fracture their community. There are basically going to be two separate communities eventually, with regards to conversations about their videos, making the non-Vessel subscribers feel ostracized and left out (even if that's not your intent, it will still have the same effect). Now whether they think this will have a notable effect on their bottom line is another story, but I really don't see this working out long term, especially since they're trying to do it with a service that has zero track record and questionable quality. I completely understand the decision to try something new given the recent Youtube changes but I'm very skeptical. 

We are far from strangers to a multi-platform audience! Hell we even get about 30k views per video on FACEBOOK of all things... We manage viewer bases commenting twitter/facebook/reddit/our forum/other forums/etc and it is fine. The people that sign up for vessel will be seeing videos one week early, sure. If they want to tweet us asking questions then that's fine! No big deal... doesn't really change anything - as for public discussion? business as usual... we basically never talk about our own videos on WAN and twitter is mostly responding to incoming tweets.

Feedback is extremely important so we will definitely play it by ear but I think it will be a lot less impactful than you may fear.

Wrong thread man :P You're gonna want to post those here : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/333925-platform-launch-and-massive-giveaway/page-3#entry4530941

I understand that afterall, this is a business, you gotta put food on the table. LMG has been growing and there are more and more people which need salaries etc so its important that the business is generating an income, and with YouTube pinching even more from the content creators like the greedy corporation it is, I totally get it. 

From what I've heard Vessel offers some really nice financial incentives for creators too, but I just wish there was another way. Perhaps long-run this is good as YouTube might see Vessel as some well-deserved competition and finally step off of the throne they call a monopoly.

Having said that, however, I understand that Vessel is a new service in all, and it can only improve, but, from what I have experienced, especially for a subscription service, it is subpar to say the least. I don't think it would be fair to compare it to another more mature platform like YouTube, but I think the service lacks some major functionality (like the ability to see how many views on a video? - that could be by design, but it feels limiting and I'll explain why.). The design aesthetic of the site could also be improved - I mean just browsing around on a desktop browser feels like I'm on a tablet or smartphone, everything is centered with all the navigation buttons tucked away in the collapsible sidebar and overall and the best way to describe how it feels in terms of functionality is 'limiting'. 

If I'd subscribe to the service, I would get access to early content, at the cost of some major functionality loss and subpar user experience, and I don't know if its worth it.

I obviously can't speak for Linus' sake, it is his business and he will know what is best for the well being of himself, his family, and his employees, but having said that I just wish they would have considered exploring other options to help subsidize their income that are more 'community - oriented' like Patreon, which I believe offers more incentives to the viewer than Vessel would (Especially considering incentives to contribute mainly come from the creator) and keeps viewers on the YouTube platform.

EDIT: Just realized you responded to someone else about Patreon

I hear ya! Please note that it is free for a year when you sign up now SANS-Credit card! Vessel has been maturing QUICKLY and I'm sure they will make leaps and bounds within the next year :D

iOS Mobile Vessel App Review

Downloaded the app on my brother's iphone for the purpose of testing out how well it works

Very snappy app as to be expected. 

You are presented with 3 playlists: Subscriptions Feed, New Releases, and Popular

Your subscription feed includes the newest videos from the people you subscribe to as well as some suggested popular videos from the categories (Ex: Gaming) that you subscribed to. Categories can be unsubscribed from by swiping from the right, clicking edit, and deleting the category.

The subscription feed is a fullscreen Portrait Mode preview of the videos with a couple seconds of the video playing as the background with no sound. Each video takes up the entire screen and swiping up brings you to the next video. While this is nice to look at, it makes finding specific new videos tedious.

Along with the difficulty of seeing your subscription feed, every couple of swipes up will present an ad. You can just as quickly swipe up and go to the next video, so the ad doesn't feel too intrusive, but there are a lot of them for a premium service. 

Video Quality is fine for the iphone 6. Videos load up instantly and there are no noticeable bugs. The video WILL NOT continue to play if you press the home button. Closing the video to go back to your feed or a content creator's profile is similar to the Youtube app where you swipe from the top left down. However, the youtube app minimizes the video so that you can watch it while you look at your subscription feed while the Vessel app completely closes the video to show you the top result of your subscription feed. 

Overall, I think it is a well built app but has the fatal flaw of choosing style over the ability to view your subscription feed more easily.

Wow this is awesome! Thanks for the review! I'm sure Vessel will be looking for this feedback :D

so for the giveaway do you have to be "active in the community?"

thanks

Nope! Not all of our viewers are from the forum - we get this :P

How are you guys going to handle things like your Amazon link, Pricing & Discussion, etc? It doesn't appear that Vessel has a description box, or even Annotation support. I know this is a new platform, but I was wondering if you could give us any insight?

What's your guys' upload schedule for Vessel? I mean time-wise. (Preferably in EST time since that's where I am.) 

Description is under "Details" http://puu.sh/gNtrc/4adf210036.jpg

I will compile the rest of your feedback and pass it along :D

probably 12AM PST just like it has been :P Which I think is 3AM EST

Signed up to vessel and do plan on using it at least for the year. I have followed content creators to other platforms before (SF debris to blip anybody?) and see no reason not to follow you guys coz you are awesome. 

However no android app - Seriously? 

Also make linus not give away his rig. It just doesn't seem right, what if vessel tanked (not saying it will), then linus would have given away his rig for nothing. 

Android app :( Hopefully it will come soon

I think Linus is betting on the giveaway thread NOT getting to that many submissions :P

Hey guys why doesn't vessel work on mobiles . it says coming soon??

There is an iOS app but apps for windows phone and android are still not fully developed

So if you guys at LMG think this is the right move to make I will support you 110%. I love your content and know how much you love and care about your fans and supporters. Therefore there I have no worries or problems about this platform addition. 

But how will advertising work on Vessel compared to Youtube? 

We try many things! We are currently uploading to a whole slew of platforms! Really we want to make it so viewers can see the content on essentially whatever platform they choose :D

For now I believe our Vessel videos will not have in-video integrations although this may change in the future :P

I have always done the best i could to help but this...well not this time.Yes i will sing up for a year and watch the videos maybe share them just so you guys can have a good start but to be honest i am not sure how much i am going to use that platform.Maybe is good,i don't deny it but it doesn't have as much content as youtube,the interface is not something i am used to and pay to watch the videos...i undertand that you need money and youtube is not the solutions but neither is this.I would rather become a silver or gold contributor here and keep watching youtube than paying for a platform which i may never use.The video quality is...well not the best and the way the site look...god why it has to be all black and so "futuristic" and what's with those letter in the comment section.Another this is the mistake you made of giving some exclusive videos to that platform.People using yt will get angry.Sorry or not sorry i am not going to enter the giveaway first because many people will come just for the prizes many of which most likely never saw as much content as i did from you guys in the past 3 years and i am not ok with giving away linus's own pc.

On a second thought.maybe...but maybe i will keep subscribing to that vessel thing not because is something i want to do but because you guys deserve help.Why i did say i would most likely never use it?Because ltt is the only reason i got an account there and am i not going to watch another content creators since i am not interested in that platform.

It definitely does not have as much content as YouTube.

If you prefer YouTube overall then definitely feel free to continue watching over there - Vessel is just an effort to diversify our online portfolio, not to replace YouTube. We will still post all of our videos to YouTube.

I have a really BIG question related to VESSEL, WHY DOES VESSEL NOT HAVE AN ANDROID APP!!? 

Please let me know Linus. This is so not 2015 for Vessel.   :(

Apparently they're working on it!

I have been unable to watch any videos on Fedora 21. I'm using Firefox 36 and have the flash plugin installed. (I'm not sure if they use HTML5, flash, or something worse.) Anyone else run into issues on linux? It gives the error "Oops! Looks like you need to update your browser to its latest version to stream this video. If you need assistance, feel free to contact us here." I did contact them there so I'll see if they respond.

I did play around with a User Agent switcher although I couldn't get any common agent to work.

They're using HTML5.

Could you ask Vessel to make a Windows Phone app please

Thanks

They said they will be aiming to be on every platform, don't have a timeline for that though.

I think that what you are doing is kind of a backstabbing acction.

I can't watch your content on android and that's where I mainly watch on my phone.

You think that most of your viewers are going to transition to Vessel?

You are just going to lose subscribers and youtube is going to get on you.

what is going to happen: 

You get more money per view on vessel, but you think that you're audience is going to get bigger on vessel like it's growing on youtube.

In the long run, you'll see what happens.

I don't agree. We're not moving away from YouTube - we will still be uploading every video we create to YouTube. We are simply providing different platforms as options for those that want to use them.

I found it really annoying that they made me sub to at least 7 channels before I could do anything. I just wanted to try the service also i find it kind of weird that I only see your videos and videos from randoms on the homepage and not any of the other subs

Oh that is weird... I hadn't heard of that before. Definitely something that should be addressed. Can you PM me about this? I'll follow up with them later about it.