New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

Too bad that all the work that the people at linus media group put in shooting, editing and color correcting in 4k is going lost for 7 days until it hits youtube.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

It seems like a snub to the content creators who devote so much time and money into getting great, data-rich footage.

This is especially true for LMG. Is a full 4k workflow worth it when the viewer can only enjoy compressed 720p?

Vessel is okey but it needs to support more mobiles platforms like Windows Phone or Android.

I gave vessel a try and it failed me.

From reading this topic I have seen that there are a lot of people that have the same problems that I have. 

The video quality is really bad. It's not only that it seems to be 720p max but also lower bitrate than youtube making lines fuzzy and colors dull. (wasted time color correcting videos to present them on vessel)

One thing that not too many people have mentioned is that sound is also really bad. It's very harsh and makes me hate my headphones for reproducing that painful sound.

Videos take too much time to load.

Can't use middle click.

No unified list of videos with chronological order from people I want to watch videos from.

Things will get better is no excuse, this was release, I can forgive stuff like that in beta but release is supposed to be the full service.

I really wanted it to succeed but I just can't watch anything because of the really bad quality. I tried to watch the Linus videos but I stopped and decided to appreciate them in full colour and resolution on youtube. 

Any news on when Android will be supported yet? Gotta have linus on the go haha.

Yes I noticed that and it's REALLY bothering me, specially since I tend to watch LTT videos in 4K.

Corsair Vengeance C70 | ASRock Z77 Extreme9 | i7-3770K @ 4.4Ghz | 1x GTX Titan (Yes, the OG one) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz
2x Intel 530 SSD | 2x WD Black 2TB HDD | 1x Corsair H100i (CPU) | 1x Corsair H60 (GPU) | 2x LG 1080p 24inch IPS | 1x ASUS 1080p 27inch IPS
Until a "4K 120Hz OLED HDR GSYNC 30inch (minimum)" Monitor shows up for less than 2 grand I ain't upgrading shit! >:( - Me, 2016.

I think Vessel's webdesign is nice with these flat design elements and interactive previews, but there are some major issues on the "user friendliness" part of it.
- No middle click to open videos on tabs
- The quality of the video image seems way worse than YouTube.... At parts when the editor cuts to some webpage shots, the page text was so blurry I couldn't even read it... And HD was turned on. The image looks really "washed out", like if someone used bleach on it.

- The comments look okay with this flat design, but featureless and way more difficult to see-trough than YouTube's ( I now see why are you leading people to the forums for comments :) )

- Also ( I'm using Chrome ) but when I click reply on a comment, the site scrolls back to the top O.o. ( might be just a simple browser compatibility issue )

- Also if you "accidentally" flag a comment, you cannot undo this. A simple miss-click when replying can easily result in a flagged comment...

- This whole logic with Username first letters as "avatar" like elements at comments is so Microsoft Office Outlook :D Not bad, but I like the avatars more...

- MAJOR: It is possible that I'm the only one who can't find this, but I cannot seem to find my own comment on the video... and looking trough several comment pages are not a user friendly option... just to see if anyone replied... They MUST implement a button / tab / section to the comments where you can track your own comments...

Note: I did not had time to read previous comments in this topic ( I will later ), so sorry if I mentioned something that was written before :)

I hope this new platform will reward L.M.G. the way that YouTube should, also I hope they iron out all the small bugs mentioned above. Not a bad start, but need a lot of polishing :)

Thanks for the free 1 year, but seriously :) 3$ for a month? Not a problem for this quality content :) ( yes I know its just an early access, but everyone needs a hobby :) )

Holy moly there are a lot of posts here now! I will do my best to respond to most of them, but I can't guarantee it will be in an extremely timely manner :P

I created an account and was ready to begin watching, but there are no quality options. If I can't watch in 360p it will be in a state of never ending loading. This is not going to work for  me, which means I am going to HAVE to watch on youtube with the delay.

I was reluctant about this at first but now I am 100% against it

How do you choose the video quality on Vessel? Like to watch a video in 4k? never mind, that last post kind of answered my question.

I know everyone over at Linus Media Group is really busy but just wanted to quickly give positive feedback on expanding to a new platform. Glad to see this system being used by you guys and I wish you the best with expanding to Vessel! I think it's a great idea to give people a new way to support your team and has a great reward for doing so. Thanks!

I like the idea of moving from youtube to vessel and I support this decision. Vessel is not working for me though. The resolution of videos playing on vessel is around 144p and I have weird display errors during the playback. Therefore, I cannot watch a single video on vessel /:

Pretty mad just signed up and already subscribed to Linus on it and they are already posting woop!

Don't know which video it was (WAN show perhaps?) but I do remember Linus advising people to wait for their official Vessel launch before signing up. Guess now we know why :)

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Hey everyone from linus media group,

I have a couple of quetionsabout the move to vessel

1. Will you still post a post on the forum about the product?

2. Will you stop posting to youtube altogether if not what videos will still go to youtube?

Tanks for all your time

Zach

p.s have a great time in asia linus

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Holy moly there are a lot of posts here now! I will do my best to respond to most of them, but I can't guarantee it will be in an extremely timely manner :P

Can you guys move all the competition entry posts to the thread they belong in? Or does IP board not allow such a task?

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

They're using HTML5.

Vessel support got back to me, and per their suggestion videos do work in Chrome on linux.

I am in full support of growing Linus Media Group but with Vessel I am worried that this is going to morph into something where YouTube becomes more of an archive being a month or more behind and to get videos at a reasonable time you will have to pay an outrageous fee. At $36 a year Vessel is not something that I can pay for; right now I have the free year, but that is not going to last. Basically, I want to make sure that you are content in this decision and know how it is going to affect your viewers. Linus, please make sure that the people on YouTube are still getting the Linus Tech Tips experience that we have always had. Thank you for all of the media you have created and all of it that is to come. Have an excellent day.

Youtube jumps 5 seconds forwards/backwards with the use of arrow keys.

Never knew that. Thanks!

Video quality on vessel is wors than on Youtube, if the video quality on vessel stays  this bad then this platform is pointles to use, I prefer to wait a little longer for much beter quality on Youtube. Someon suggested patreon, I think that wuld be a better option. 

one question will you guys offer higher quality videos than YouTube? also why are there ads if we pay every month should we not get ads?

http://vessel.com/linustech

User name: chrisdadragon

video 1: https://www.vessel.com/videos/eUUJ3a1aM

video 2: https://www.vessel.com/videos/FYu03582i

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chris.turkington.7/posts/953557677996520

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chris_Da_Dragon/status/580488490430951425

I like that you'll be able to make more money, but I'm slightly pissed that I need to make ANOTHER account; I have too many. Vessel-only giveaways might make some more viewers switch, but honestly I don't think anybody will pay to use Vessel, because of all those problems it has. I probably won't use Vessel, since Youtube already has a feed of everything I want to watch.

I personally have no problem with the platform change, and I enjoy Linus' videos enough to motivate me to pay for this service, but I wish it wasn't... well, a new service! Having your videos on youtube right along-side all the other content I enjoy is nice and I'm going to miss that. 

I wish you guys the best of luck in your platform change, and look forward to what (hopefully) extra funding will allow you to do!