New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

I really don't understand why their switching to Vessel. Is YouTube becoming not such a good platform anymore for content creators? Could someone explain this switch to me better?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

For a payed service, I assumed it would have higher quality than youtube.

For a payed service, I assumed it would have higher quality than youtube.

I don't know why you would assume that. 

YouTube generates more money than any paid service would generate. 

On top of that, YouTube is Google. So they have a massive budget to improve their services.

I really don't understand why their switching to Vessel. Is YouTube becoming not such a good platform anymore for content creators? Could someone explain this switch to me better?

The main reason is that Youtube is now limiting the ads the content creators can themselves put in their videos. Since ads placed directly in the video have become a major source of revenue for many youtubers (LTT alike) it's threatening their livelyhood.

I just registered there and yes, I`m having the same problem with the quality.

Also are they serious with that type of interface? It's far too impractical. Still I`ll give it a try.

I hope sometimes in the future I`ll be able to mode the pages in the way I did with the YT like this http://i.imgur.com/hJB9fVX.jpgand http://i.imgur.com/VpwnYdq.jpg :)

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

My biggest question is why are these channels moving to Vessel? Sorry if this question has already been mentioned before but it looks like I didn't find one like it

Also this could be just the buffer quality of your internet.. also i'd imagine there servers aren't to the same capacity of youtube..

I like vessel it's a great idea.

^This.

No quality degradation for me. OP, it's definitely your connection.

0Aki01N.jpg

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Hello everybody.

I read the first 10 pages of the topic - couldn't read all of them. Here is my feedback:

Firstly - on the Adding of Vessel as a new platform:

Terrific move. Since the moment I heard this at the WAN show, I was sold on it. I was ready to commit the $3 immediately. I think this is a great way to support LMG. Yes, there are a number of ways to do that already. But this time - you are actually getting something back. The idea is great! We will do everything to support you.

Second - on Vessel as a platform right now:

Dreadful. Good looks but bad UI. Buffering on SD when I play 1440p on YouTube no problem. Low quality that RUINS your hard work making these videos look better. However, yes, a year is a long time and we'll hope that things will improve. However, I think Vessel should have waited a bit more to fix all this, and then deploy itself to the public. That way, there wouldn't have been such comments.

Third: General opinion.

Guys, I just want to take this moment to express how much I love you. Every day when I get back from school, the first thing I do is fire up YouTube to see your new video. And now everything I'll have to do is just open up Vessel and do the same. And I will. I will sacrifice quality, I will take this step back, in order to support you. I love the year of free trial, however I see a little problem here. Will you be earning enough during this year on Vessel when nobody is paying nothing? That seems kind of strange. I feel that a month could have been enough. Nevermind.

Keep up the great work!

Awesome news guys! Can't wait to see where you are going in the future! 

My Username is: Woolbeach

My favorite two videos on Vessel are: 

https://www.vessel.com/videos/JYZEYDYx0

(Build logs have always been my favorite part of your videos)

and 

https://www.vessel.com/videos/Su_Wqd7Vl

(Because it really shows how wacky you guys are :D)

I don't know if I am supposed to show my shared link to your announcement here, but here it is:

https://twitter.com/woolbeach/status/580452506515451904

Look at the pins on the ribbon cable, or the text on it. The youtube one is better. This can be seen in other specific details too. 

Actually looking at the images you provided the one on the left is fuzzier and the colours look more dull. You can try to zoom and look at the letters on the fan.

Actually looking at the images you provided the one on the left is fuzzier and the colours look more dull. You can try to zoom and look at the letters on the fan.

Yeah I see it. But nothing as drastic as what @sandman65 is quoting. My guess is that Vessel considers both 720p and 1080p as HD (which they technically are). So based on your connection, they select either one.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

well LMG, whatever floats your boat

i've been using that site for some time now, since you said you're thinking about moving there and i can't stand it, also had to make a new acc to use your link, but i'm not gonna watch videos there, the site is just awful for me

i guess i won't mind watching videos a week late on good ol youtube

but i'm not against your decision, if you think this will be better for you, then by all means go for it, i just don't like the site

also, watched the server video and not sure if it's vessels fault or yours, but the colours seem very odd, washed out, kinda dull, didn't had the patience or will to watch more :(

anyways, good luck LMG, see you on youtubes!

tho, i have a question, probably has been answered already, just lazy to read a wall of text this thread has become

how will you post threads on forum, just as you did now and only have vessel link, will you update it when you add the youtube link?

also

what about your regular sponsors, lets face it, you won't have such high view counts on vessel as you have on youtube (maybe not now with free access, but in the future it's guaranteed)

how will that affect your relationship with them? having less view counts that is

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

They aren't switching, they are adding content to another platform early for the truly die hard fanatics that absolutely must consume their media the soonest it can become available.  The YouTube schedule shouldn't change to the best of my knowledge, and Vessel doesn't get dibs on everything being early access.  For instance, time sensitive reviews and videos will still release on Vessel and YouTube side by side, due to the nature of the video's (think product reviews that have blackout/gag orders prohibiting release until a certain date).  Otherwise, if it isn't time sensitive , Vessel will have the videos 3 days before YouTube for people who pay the modest fee of $2.99.  A portion of your fee goes directly to the content creators you watch.  Vessel will keep a small portion of it (I believe it is 30%) and pass the 70% of your subscription fee onto the content creators that you watch. So if you watch one-liners tech tips video and one Cyanide & Happiness video for the entire month (simplified to illustrate a point), then Linus tech tips would get $1.05 directly from you and your subscription, and will retain an additional 70% of the ad revenue generated. After which, they can opt to publish the video on other platforms (such as YouTube) and they will only earn the 70% of ad revenues (but anyone can watch the videos at that point even on vessels website without a subscription, but I may be wrong on that last point). So in essence,  Vessel is asking for partial exclusivity for a short period of time on SOME of the videos released by Linus Media Group (completely under the control of LMG). They outlined all of this in the earlier blogs (Vessels blogs), and some of the terms and conditions may have changed, but that is my understanding of it.

Yeah I see it. But nothing as drastic as what @sandman65 is quoting. My guess is that Vessel considers both 720p and 1080p as HD (which they technically are). So based on your connection, the select either one.

It's still a clear degradation in quality. Not as bad as he was seeing but still. Also seeing as the OP is zoomed in I don't think his image quality was much lower than yours.

Edit: What really bothers me is that the colors look washed out.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Hi :D

Is anyone else having problems loading videos?

Loading animation goes on and on and i didnt find a video that starts, ive tried 4 kinds of browsers without any luck.

On my phone however i can watch every video and i cant figure out what the problem is on my pc, i had to watch the videos on my phone :P

anyone any idea?

It's still a clear degradation in quality. Not as bad as he was seeing but still. Also seeing as the OP is zoomed in I don't think his image quality was much lower than yours.

Both images were of the same size. The left one was clearly pixelated more than the right which meant it has a lower resolution. Zooming in on that is like zooming in on a jpeg. My point still stands.

vcpJIPI.png

I live in Turkey if I win any giveaway will you be able to send it to me?

I don`t know for his, but what about mine 4238543589.png

Should be enough, what do you think. :)

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

Edit: What really bothers me is that the colors look washed out.

Saw your edit. Valid point. Everyone here is complaining about the "quality" aka the resolution. You're the first to make that point.

4113624809.png

We need to start a 1ms Ping club :P 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Well it was really just a guess to provide some explanation of why the resolution is lower. The OP doesn't seem to realize how vague the "HD" settings are. I'm just here to say that I got 1080p stream on Vessel and he got the 720p, judging from the screenshot he posted. It may be ultimately Vessel's fault. BUT I wouldn't see why they would stream a 720p video to him if his connection was fast enough.

Not sure when, but it's being worked on. Sign up within these 72 hours though so you get the free year!

Yeah I did that I support the idea, but just saying I wouldn't pay for the service as it is now....

wish you all the best with the project and hope it will give you guys some more freedom to do cool stuff (or try at least :D )