New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

First I wanted say that I have no problems with you guys enabling people to pay for early access to your videos. But as of now I see no reason to use vessel over YouTube. It looks to me like the "hd" videos on vessel are in 720p, that's a massive downgrade from the 4k and 1080p60 videos we have been getting on YouTube for awhile now. The interface of vessel could also use a lot of work, finding videos that I want to watch is much harder than on YouTube despite the fact that YouTube's interface isn't that good either. So I will not be using vessel over YouTube despite the free year and early access to videos until 4k is supported.

Not sure what the problem is but the videos are loading really slow, checked the task manager and it's only using about 10% of my bandwidth for some reason.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I went through the sign-up process, sat through having to select three channels to follow (even though I could "add or change them later", I couldn't - who the hell are 99% of these people?). I had to pick three to move "next". After all that, I choose one of the Titan X videos. Stupid Vessel says "opps, your browser needs to be updated to its latest version". Uh, I'm already updated (Firefox). Is this service browser specific or just not ready for prime-time?

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question (since time would answer), but how long the delay would be before you put your videos on Youtube?

Also does Vessel support newer more efficient codec, like VP9 on youtube?, maybe H265?, i know hardware support isn't there yet, but it greatly reduce the bandwidth.

Alright, so I would like to address a few things about the Vessel Change. I would like to start by saying that I am not opposed to Vessel, but there are a couple of things that I need to bring up.

1. In regards to switching to Vessel, some of us already have account. Many of us would not only like the one year of free Vessel, but also to show our support. How are we supposed to sign up with Vessel using your affilate link if we have an account, and get the free year?

2. This is an issue with Vessel. If I am paying for a service, I would like to think that I am getting a more premium one. However, currently the video quality on Vessel is horrendous, YouTube isn't known for its high quality, but Vessel makes it look amazing. I personally am reluctant to watch your new videos on Vessel, as the quality is really quite bad, and I feel with all the work that you put into production quality I am not doing your videos right, and I want the best experience watching them.

3. In regards to the player, no actual quality options? This is seriously a massive thing, I want to choose whether I am in 1080p or 360p myself, and I want to choose if I want to go up to 4K. Hell, I don't even know if it has 4K! While this is an issue with Vessel, as you are switching over to such a new platform it is one which becomes yours. 

My main complaints are not with your intentions from switching over, and I support you in it. However, if you and vessel are trying to get people to switch, I think that there needs to be a quality incentive, and not just a early access one. Vessel still feels very much in its beta stages, and needs to offer a better service to get people to switch over. I would be interested to see what all of you at LMG think about this, and if you have any idea if Vessel is planning on improving their video service (as it is what the website is for, after all). 

Good luck with the switch LMG!

I went through the sign-up process, sat through having to select three channels to follow (even though I could "add or change them later", I couldn't - who the hell are 99% of these people?). I had to pick three to move "next". After all that, I choose one of the Titan X videos. Stupid Vessel says "opps, your browser needs to be updated to its latest version". Uh, I'm already updated (Firefox). Is this service browser specific or just not ready for prime-time?

vessel seems as majestic as a crippled kid falling down stairs and dolled up like a street walker.

So new signups for Vessel get a year free, but the existing users don't? I've seen this trick before.

If that's the case, then I already dislike this service.

EDIT: Support says existing users should get it too, but I haven't - not sure if it has affected other people.

this "free" marketing is setting off my bullshit alarm also

Its all about those volumetric clouds

With Vessel will I finally see some videos from LTT that involve benchmarking new gpus testing how they do at different resolutions with PHYSX on??!?!?!?!?!?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

How are subscriptions handled? Following the free year, do I subscribe to vessel and then they distribute a portion of my subscription to those I'm following, or can I use an affiliate link to send the content creator portion to a single channel?

Also, will there be an ad supported model for those that don't pay a la YouTube, or is the content behind a strict paywall?

Finally, do you know if there will be a download option for watching content offline?

Keep up the good work LMG, I can see why Linus was so busy this past week or two!

They split the money from your subscription (after they their cut, which is reasonable) among the creators that you watch based on the amount of time you spend watching each creator. If you only watch us, we will be the only ones that receive revenue from your subscription.

Yes! Once the one week paywall expires there is a Vessel free platform where anyone can watch the content.

Not sure but I can ask! Send me a PM about it, I can follow up when I have a bit more time! :)

Thank you!!!

First off, everyone at linus media group, I think this is an awesome move. Even if its something small like a 5% increase in monthly revenue. This will increase the total income for the company and employees, increasing job security, and improving the quality of your product. Since a new video will be available every day; no one is left out, except people who feel they "need" to see a new video every day. And to them, get over it for all you know its new content. You do not have to see every movie at launch night, seeing it a week later does not diminish its quality. If you really "need" to see the content then support Linus's move to Vessel with its slight monetary cost! I love your videos, and keep up the work Linus media group!!!!!!

Vessel name: Thorhoffman

https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyY& https://www.vessel.com/videos/JemZ8O7Hy 

Thanks so much for your support!!!!

This is the feedback thread though, not the giveaway thread! Make sure you post that info over in http://bit.ly/linusgiveaway

The service is a major performance killer on my crappy school laptop. 

Otherwise, it's clean, similar to youtube in layout, already has a large quantity of channels already

Lookin good LMG, good luck!

EDIT: There doesn't seem to be an option for resolution, it only seems to be HD, or not HD?

haven't seen a mobile app for vessel? At least on Android

I will pass on the feedback! I'm sure they'll look to optimize for lower powered machines in the future.

Large quantity of channels, and all are specifically selected by the Vessel team - no crap, only high quality, curated content. I think it's a great idea myself, but I guess that's pretty obvious at this point :P

On launch, yes, unfortunately they don't have many quality options. We already discussed resolution and bitrate upgrades with them prior to launch, and it's something they're open to exploring in the future. Not sure what the specifics of that would be though, unfortunately.

TBD! I have a bit of info, but unfortunately I can't share it just yet ^_^ stay tuned to the Vessel Twitter handle if you want to learn about any potential developments in the app space!

Hey tech guys! I'm a big fan from Romanian (Bucharest not Budapest). 

I just registered on Vessel. My user name: MARIUSMIHAITA

My favorite video from Vessel:

1) https://www.vessel.com/videos/DkWN4qqW1

2) https://www.vessel.com/videos/HDN7G5UMs

PS: I am a friend of Dracula and he likes to follow your channel.  :ph34r:

Thank you for supporting!

Make sure you submit that entry over at bit.ly/linusgiveaway - this is the feedback thread, so we won't be counting entries over here!

Tell him I say whatsup!

So, If I already made a vessel account in anticipation of this move, What should i do?  Seems liek this one year promotion is only for new accounts, and it doesn't seem like I can delete an account... 

I signed up with your referral link with the same email that I created that account.  Should I not have?

Send me a PM! I'll make sure you get the free year, I can't guarantee I can get it done tonight but I will follow up when I'm able!

So would you still being doing the one video a day on youtube or would you only release the video after the 3 days have passed?

This is disappointing, I use a smart tv to watch all my Youtube via an app made specifically for the TV. This means I'm not going to get all the non-time sensitive videos on time even if I did want to use Vessel.

I find this service really good! It's simple and easy to use! I was wondering how often would you update the videos on Vessel? Every day? But overall i find this a great service that will benefit your fans and yourself at the LinusMediaGroup as well!

My only gripe with vessel is that you can not watch it on mobile (yet). Usually, I watch the ltt video when I'm at school right when it comes out on my phone, and then maby at home once again on my tablet or pc.

My only gripe with vessel is that you can not watch it on mobile (yet). Usually, I watch the ltt video when I'm at school right when it comes out on my phone, and then maby at home once again on my tablet or pc.

I don't really understand why you're putting stuff up on vessel.

Is it like the way they have paid sponsors on the roosterteeth website, so you simply reward fans with content earlier but still put it out on the normal channels?

This is disappointing, I use a smart tv to watch all my Youtube via an app made specifically for the TV. This means I'm not going to get all the non-time sensitive videos on time even if I did want to use Vessel.

This is an actual bummer.  I swear, I use my chromecast more for LTT videos than anything else.  Hopefully Vessel's engineering team starts rolling out awesome video features and platform upgrades. 

I don't like it, it's got that yucky tablety boutique feel, and it has like no channels. I signed up but doubt I'll use it for a long time. Also, it's also based in USA, so it'll have the same anti-creative DMCA pandering villainism as brutetube, so it doesn't really solve the biggest problem in the market.

Worked on Maxthon 4.4

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Some feedback

1. No Android app is a HUGE, HUGE letdown for me. I'm not gonna buy a new  phone just so that I can watch your videos on Vessel. When is it coming? Preferably more concret than "Soon" as that might mean a pretty wide range of things

2. No option to select quality? I really enjoyed when you started uploading content in 4k and 1440p on YouTube (as I have a 1440p monitor), and now the content is only in 720pish (That is what it at least looks to me). So do we have to wait to get to see the videos in good quality

3. Is Vessel using HTML5 or Flash for their videos. Pretty huge deal for me as HTML5 Videos has been way more stable than Flash

I'll sign up if vessel can guarantee me that pewdiepie will never be allowed to join.

edit: signed up, it's telling me to sign up for my early access free month, and then gave some green haired idiot trying to be pewdiepie, and the design of the site is terrible. Sorry Linus - I'm out. Find a better delivery system please.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

We have discussed the possibility of giving contributors access to the Vessel platform. The folks at Vessel have been really open to suggestions and collaboration opportunities so far, which is one of the aspects that made them an attractive partner for us.

Right now I don't have 100% confirmation on that, but we'll update this thread when we can confirm whether or not contributors will get continued access to Vessel as part of their contributor rewards.

The first gripes that immediately strike me upon signing up and using Vessel (with the LTT link of course) are the lack of an android app, and the cursor not disappearing when watching a video. Also, not liking the ui much, and I hate the resolution options. Low res HD and not HD just doesn't cut it for your PC Master Race Fans. However, love the free year, love the extra income for LMG, and love the butt ton of new LTT videos I get to watch today.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

everything I want to say has pretty much been said.

Videos are buffering like balls

Video quality even in HD is horrible

(can't open videos in new tab with mouse scroll button(small matter but can get annoying)

but yeah, I support Vessel and I really hope they will improve it

Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue

Watched '5K Nvidia GeForce Titan X SLI  Performance Benchmarks' and 'Insane Storage Server - Fully 10 Gigabit Network, $1500 Switch' on vessel and wow the video quality on vessel is dreadful and there are no decent quality settings such as 480p, 720p, 1080p. I think I'll just watch your content on youtube even if it is delayed the video quality is a lot better.

I don't really understand why you're putting stuff up on vessel.

Is it like the way they have paid sponsors on the roosterteeth website, so you simply reward fans with content earlier but still put it out on the normal channels?

At a business level, it's a diversification of revenue.  Currently, nearly all revenue LMG has comes from Youtube.  With Youtube becoming less friendly to larger content providers with it's new brand management rules, it's becoming harder for LMG to sponsor content and make money off of YT's exorbitant 45% cut from ad revenue.  Vessel is a good move to let LMG diversify revenue streams as it gives a much higher cut of the advertising revenue to the content creator.  They model this by creating a 3 day exclusive video buffer for the service. They capitalize on this exclusivity by providing a tiny monthly paywall.  So, the videos go up on both vessel and youtube, LMG gets ad revenue from both platforms, with minimal attrition of viewers between platforms.