New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

I understand the switch to Vessel and if that's what LMG believes they need to survive then the more power to them.

However, from my person standpoint I watch hardware reviews casually on youtube as they appear and the exact date they comes out doesn't concern me. I'll still be on Youtube the 99% of the time and if this change simply means I watch X product review from someone else because Linus' video was hidden on Vessel then that's simply a view LMG probably doesn't get.

Still love Linus' videos, but unless most other hardware reviewers make this switch as well (which is highly unlikely, especially for smaller channels), I'll still be catching my hardware news from Linus & others on youtube.

Will there be options to access higher quality versions of the videos? The streaming reliability has been perfect so far (every video loads fully while on youtube some videos will randomly stop loading)

My main concern is the quality, the HD option still leaves me with fuzzy video that does not even look 1080p in terms of sharpness and detail.

On youtube since they allow 4K+ content, even when streaming at 1080p, you get a high detailed super sampled view of the video.

For example here are screenshots comparing the quality

Youtube: http://i.imgur.com/DKFnlPG.jpg

vessel: http://i.imgur.com/5bU68x1.jpg

Is this something that they are working to fix, or will they always limit the quality to this level?

Can confirm along with other reports in this thread but the website performance is horrendous. I'm on a "good" connection right that allows me to play most videos without issues - Vessel is buffering left and right and would often just stop right in the middle of a video and quit out on me. An attempt to refresh the page and resume my playback results in massive stuttering or no playback at all - pausing and waiting for it to buffer doesn't seem to be working either.

TLDR; I can't finish watching a video - the service seems to cut out in the middle of it for no apparent reason.

I'm supportive of the change but just not a fan of the lack of performance on Vessel's side.

You're not getting to watch the content a week earlier it just comes out a week later on youtuber
Personally I feel this is a backstab in all of the linustechtips fans
RIP in peace Linus

There are no real video options to select from 4k ->144p like on youtube. The comment section is not enabled by default, you cannot right click and select "open in new tab". This is what I've found until now...

EDIT: I am missing an "uploads" section / "Next video in playlist". We have more from but they are not necessarily in the correct order

Edit2: Video stutters on a good internet connection.

I like it, my internet is too slow for high quality, so I really don't care. It's great that y'all are making more money, I couldn't imagine doing what you do, messing with financial headaches of a business.

Regarding to Vessel...

Love:

- smooth, fast playback, no more bloated feelings from Youtube.

- comment, it works! [but still needs a show all comments button...]

- default black background? Excellent for night time reading, unlike the default LTT forum... (sadly)

- very decent default video player size! [although I still love the youtube center extension where it forces the player to use all spaces within the browser =) ]

- simple, elegant design, unlike bloated youtube style

- feels content oriented, rather than ['recommended video' oriented]

- default grid layout design [designers taking use of high resolution display? WOW finally!]

Not so much love:

- Is there a search function for the channel page / video page? [do you really expect me to use my browser's search function? ~_~"]

- Is there a playlist / grouping function for videos? [foreseeable problem with content creators...]

- Is there a privacy or terms of service page? any fine print about data sharing... etc?

- Maybe some tests pages to show global statistics, volume, traffic, demographic, upload trend, rates... etc?

Is it just the main channel that will be on vessel? or are there channelsuperfun and tech quickie as well?

Not sold on this at all. This is just like pre-ordering/early access, making people pay more to simply get it quicker. With the Vessel app on iOS, I simply cannot get the app as it is not compatible with my iOS version, even if I forcibly install it, so now I either have to wait, or watch videos on my desktop, which is way less comfortable than being on my iPad on my bed.

I can understand their position with YouTube's recent changes to ad revenue, but I think that instead of using a service such as Vessel, they should have used a service that is more fair with ad revenue, but is still free and fair for everyone to view. They could even start a dedicated website for LTT, so that they only pay for server/bandwidth costs and get the rest of the ad revenue for the company, not taken by a company like YouTube.

You're not getting to watch the content a week earlier it just comes out a week later on youtuber

Personally I feel this is a backstab in all of the linustechtips fans

RIP in peace Linus

I can understand why they are doing this, Youtube randomly changes their the way they handle ads and CPM's, and if you rely on getting paid for the video content that you produce, then it is risky to have all of your eggs in one basket, especially with youtube taking increasingly larger chunks of the money. While it is annoying that there is a 3 day delay, I feel that it will become the new norm, think of it as when a channel moves a show to a different day of the week.

One effect that I can see happening is fragmentation or a reduction of community interaction on the forums. Typically interaction between the hosts and the fans on the forums (for many channels) for an episode will typically last for a few hours to a day. If the content is released 3 days later, then this interaction goes away for the youtube viewers.

I like the fact that you guys are giving people the option to pay for the videos and support you guys and all, but I honestly think there's a better way to do it. Patreon, for example, would be great. I feel like moving all your videos over to Vessel and focusing on it and bringing the new stuff to only Vessel subscribers is a bit of a butt move. I'm probably not going to sign up for Vessel, and I feel neglected as a YouTube user. While I'm not gonna stop watching your videos or unsubscribe (i watch them every day tbh) I feel like many other people will.

On the website itself, I don't particularly like it. Maybe I just hate change (._.) but it seems clunky and video playback is dreadful, especially for my not so great download speeds.

Change can be good. That's the key word. Can. It won't always be, but it can be if enough thought is put in. A longer think about this would be a good idea. Even after that if you still feel like Vessel is the way forward, then so be it. But, in all honesty, this Vessel thing is probably going to hurt you more than it will benefit you.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | MOBO: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate | RAM: Crucial Ballistix XT Sport 8GB | STORAGE: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB SSD + Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue HDD | GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 | CASE: Corsair 200R | PSU: Corsair CX500M 500W | KEYBOARD + MOUSE: E-Blue Cobra Combatant-X Gaming Keyboard + E-Blue Cobra Type-M Mouse

Right, I am still a bit confused, and I did in fact see the video.

Vessel costs $3 / month, but for the first year if you sign up within x hours is free.  I get that.

But.. does the $3 include ads or is it ad free?  Is there the option to use the service for free, and see ads?

Cheers

Video quality, side by side, is lower:

1) videos appear to be washed out (I have tried with nvidia's dynamic range for videos, didn't help)

2) the resolution is stuck at 720p for HD.

3) There is some noticeable stutter in the videos, especially during panning shots - I've used the Titan X video as a comparison between the platforms. It's unlikely to be an issue on my side - 250/20 connection and hardware more than capable of running videos.

I openly admit i dislike the way content is presented on the site - large tiles, covering whole screen with one sentence, in the style of HTC news feed and click bait "news" sites. That combined with videos it throws at me, despite forcing me to chose fields of interest and channels to follow (4 each at least, wtf?) makes it in my eyes a product for the audience of Apple kingdom.

I appreciate the year-off, but the way the site currently operates, makes me an unlikely visitor even for Free. I'd have not even considered paying 1$ a month for the product it offers - better support LMG via forum contribution, at least then it isn't shared with Vasyl...

Jasmin

P.S. Why are there ads on the content hidden behind a paywal???????????????????????????????????????????????

No vessel app for android :( but on my phone it says support is coming soon. How soon?

I notice Vessel only has an HD quality toggle but no actual indicator of what resolution the video is playing at. I'm assuming it's 1080p, however on YouTube your videos are available in up to 4k and even 60fps in some super fun videos.

What kind of quality can we expect from Vessel? Is the highest resolution available 1080p? Does it allow for higher bitrates? Is it capped to 24(30?) fps?

Watching the videos early is nice, but I'm more interested in higher playback quality :)

Vessel has a nice interface but it doesen't support chromecast and I am not able to stream in HD!

I like the fact that you guys are giving people the option to pay for the videos and support you guys and all, but I honestly think there's a better way to do it. Patreon, for example, would be great. I feel like moving all your videos over to Vessel and focusing on it and bringing the new stuff to only Vessel subscribers is a bit of a butt move. I'm probably not going to sign up for Vessel, and I feel neglected as a YouTube user. While I'm not gonna stop watching your videos or unsubscribe (i watch them every day tbh) I feel like many other people will.

On the website itself, I don't particularly like it. Maybe I just hate change (._.) but it seems clunky and video playback is dreadful, especially for my not so great download speeds.

Change can be good. That's the key word. Can. It won't always be, but it can be if enough thought is put in. A longer think about this would be a good idea. Even after that if you still feel like Vessel is the way forward, then so be it. But, in all honesty, this Vessel thing is probably going to hurt you more than it will benefit you.

I find vessel to be a far better option than patreon. Channels that start to heavily cater to patreon, e.g., look at geekbeat.tv. You end up with a division of time between the free content and the paid content, and if you run a channel where you are already working at capacity, then you end up with less content. e.g., look at their viewership before and after the move to the new studio. (it has gone down, as youtube has been getting more of the vlog style content, fewer in-depth reviews, and less follow-through of content e.g., unboxings that never lead to a review.

vessel allows them to create a single pool of content that eventually makes its way to everyone. Patreon relies on structured payments with various tiers, offering different content. if they begin to mix, then it removes the incentive to pay.

Patreon tries to market the idea of exclusivity, which makes it difficult to strike a balance. If the exclusive content begins to take away from the the general viewership content, then your CPM suffers.

-snip-

-snip-

You still haven't found what you're lookin for.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334107-platform-launch-and-massive-giveaway/#entry4530690

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Thanks Linus for one year free membership. It will be great if you get money for linustech.Keep doing great tech videos  you have my support.

And now for the bad part, video on Vessel is much worse quality than on youtube and secondly i have slow internet connection and videor on their site is lagging for me idk why because on youtube it goes smooth without lags.

If they fix issues it can be great..

Keed doing grat job Linus.

Sorry if i made mistakes in text, im Slovak. :D

Will the videos that are posted on vessel be posted to YouTube ?

Hey LMG!  :)

Happy to see you guys expanding your business. Hope it turns out to be a success for you.

I have signed up at vessel(VenkiPhy6 there too). My only problem is that with my slow connection I have to do some waiting, but....yeah. Anything for you guys. :-) Most things I know about PC building comes from your content and the awareness you have given about products has made me a smarter buyer and so has saved me some money! So I have no issues paying you to watch your content...except one.....I don't earn money right now! I am just a student for now!

That is why I love the 1 year free subscription offered at vessel. For 1 year I will watch your videos early and then get back to you tube and then later earn some money and continue with vessel again.

Finally some thoughts on vessel ... 

I am happy to see some competition to you tube. Of course, Vessel is a paid service, but this 1 year for free thing and the number of you tubers signing up there(and simultaneously too!) might bring it to you tube's attention that they need to up their game a bit to sustain viewership(at least for the next 1 year). HEALTHY COMPETITION IS ALWAYS GREAT!

I am not signing up for the giveaway though. Don't want any of your stuff but just your knowledge from the videos! 

Thanks for all your efforts and for creating this awesome community.  ;)

TL;DR:- Let your 'vessel venture' be successful. Your channel has given me a lot of knowledge. So thanks for that! 

My build log(in progress): http://bit.ly/1CMaebR

Cheers & Ciao!

Venki