New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

Like I have seen from others, my only complaint with Vessel so far is the video quality. We already use highly compressed videos everywhere, but vessel's HD "on" toggle brings it up to what, a 2400kbps video? That is less than high quality twitch streams. Bandwidth isn't THAT expensive, and a simple bump up to 3500kbps and offering 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 4k, would be a welcome addition to the platform.

I'm all for supporting LMG through different avenues, and I think vessel is a great way to do so after some changes on their end!

Oh my, someone else from gfl? dat community doe

Also, my mistake thinking the vessel vids are 720p. They actually are by default selection to "hd" since hd by definition is 720p. I forgot about dynamic bitrate switching when in full-screen mode. The javascript pegs it as a "bitratechange" trigger and apparently 2160p is possible. Who knows if the screen triggers are smart enough to execute on everyone's system since it samples screen res on certain triggers. Definitely less control than youtube as noted by everyone else.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Hi there Linus!

I've been watching your videos since almost the beginning, so you know that I like them very much, keep up the good work and leave other laptops out in the rain as well!

My Vessel username: Trippy8bit

1st video with like/comment: https://www.vessel.com/videos/Su_Wqd7Vl
2nd video with like/comment: https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyY

I have one major issue with this change. If I'm watching videos on my computer its on YouTube, i don't want to have to another site just to see if one person I like to watch posted a video. It's too out of the way and how would I know when a video was up. Furthermore no i know nothing about how much Linus is paid but what I do know is that companies like Rooster Teeth are able to have 60+ people working with revenue gained from very similar ways that Linus does it. Yes I know they have way more subs and get paid more but the difference doesn't scale to way(from what I figure). The same thing can be seen on vimeo. There is a ton of amazing content on there but how many people use it? not that many? having people go to another website just for your videos wont work well and I'd be willing to bet that after this year is over the numbers on those videos will go down drastically.

That's just what I think and personally I hate this change. If i were to give suggestions its would be do a sponsor like thing on your own website and have people pay so much a month to get early access. Then the people who already use the forums a lot will prob pay for it cuz its not out of their way and you get paid more directly. 

I love the 10 second jump back feature. I'm not a huge fan of their UI though. It's just a bit clustered I think. Maybe I have to get used to it.

Youtube jumps 5 seconds forwards/backwards with the use of arrow keys.

First thing I was greeted with after signing up was that it doesn't work on my device (android).  Seems like an app is coming, but not even a web interface?  Strike 1.

How does vessel video quality compare to youtube?  About the only thing willing for me to go through the trouble of viewing videos elsewhere is quality.  (e.g. rocketjump would give 4k 48fps videos on it's site + no YouTube artifacting etc..)   Is this something vessel can offer us?  Best option IMO would be a source video download.  No buffering, and for videos where quality matters (benchmarks, frame rates, etc...)  I would much prefer this to compressed video and audio.

Anyway, hope everything works out.  Sucks that YouTube is unable to provide content providers with enough incentive to focus their efforts there.  Here's to a better viewing experience in 2015.  

Go here: http://bit.ly/linusgiveaway2

That link link seems to be updated from previous one linked on youtube that's now broken. Time to change my twitter shoutout...

Linus did you break the internet again? Silly boy.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Just watched a few videos on vessel.  Not only do they look bad (which i know people have mentioned) but its also laggy( yes yes its been mentioned).  I know for us it is free right now, and I know the videos will still be on youtube, but this feels like a bad move.  I have been enjoying your content since it was Linus just trying to get videos out for the product pages of NCIX and I have loved every moment of it.

What I find so jarring and what makes me unhappy with this choice is that you guys accepted how the quality is and started working with vessel before they fixed it.  I am sure you wanted to get in on the ground floor on this or w.e but really, after all the effort you guys have put into making your quality better and better you see an extra source of revenue and go, w.e quality doesn't mean anything if we can get some extra money for the videos we make.  

TLDR; Disappointed you would even consider working with a platform that doesn't have the framework in to deliver the quality you guys worked so hard to attain.

I like the idea of Vessel (UI can use some work), though obviously being a new service the quality of the video IMO isn't up to par to what YouTube has. For example there's some kind of artifact going on (kinda like a static filter thingy is being put over the content). I'm guessing that's due to the bit rate which I'm sure will improve.

Me, being an unemployed student and all, will enjoy milking the 1 year free account and probably will watch each video twice (once on youtube, once on vessel) so I can get that dose of fine detail in B roll (give justice to the Brandon and all that). If I had any money I'd probably pay the subscription.

Continue to Innovate and Good Luck LMG on your future endeavors :)

Edit: If I may suggest something to Vessel. Can we(I) be able to pause videos using the space bar and be able to open new tabs just by clicking the scroll wheel. Would improve usability quite a bit imho.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

new video platform, no excited at all. just try the new build log vid on vessel and complete broken for play, just got on avg 50ish KBps streaming, 

Crap. I signed up a few days ago for the "One free month but give us your credit card number so we can bill you afterwards." So if I want a free year I guess I have to sign up with a new email... GREAT!

This new platform seems okay so far. Easy to browse and organized well. It might be worth trying out after all.

It seems that Vessel doesn't have support for mobile devices yet, that's too bad because I'm sick and i can't go sit on my desktop

I'll start off by saying I won't be signing up for Vessel, the only way that's going to happen is if Youtube dies. Youtube is just more prevalent with apps available across all of my devices and it's where all my other subscriptions are, I'm not going to go over to Vessel just for some LTT videos.

Secondly, I don't quite understand the whole "early access" thing and haven't seen much explanation behind it (bear in mind I haven't looked through the 16 or so pages of this thread). Am I right in assuming that you're purposely delaying videos even though they're ready, just so you can offer them earlier via a paid service? Ultimately I'm okay with this as those that don't pay will still get the videos in the end and we're not entitled to get anything from you at all, but it still seems like a sneaky move to me.

When you guys mentioned possibly moving to Vessel I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but you guys seem like you've thought of everything. You may get a lot of flak from viewers that don't get that you are primarily a business and you have families to feed, but I understand the need to expand to keep everything to keep the channel growing and I hope everything works out for LTT. Good luck guys!

Why don't you use Patreon if you are so desperate of your fan support?

Asking $3 a month for early access to videos is a poor bonus for the one paying and it feels like we are losing something for the one who are not willing to pay (even though we were here with you when you started).

And we have to go on an other website to watch your videos. I love you guys but you are not that special.

Linus giveaway

Username: Generik_Gamer

Disclaimer: my computer is dead(at least the charger) so I can't get the links but I can get the name

Video 1: LG 34UM67 curved Ultrawide FreeSync monitor

Video 2: gigabyte P34W gaming notebook

Personally, I have no problem paying to support you guys and get content early :D

HOWEVER.

The deal-breaker for me is that the iOS Vessel app does NOT support background playback.

I watch 100% of videos on my phone (sometimes while I'm doing other things on it), and being as Vessel doesn't seem to allow background playback, I really can't even justify having their app installed.

I know I'm not the only person for whom this is an issue; is there anything in the works to allow this?

Thanks for your time guys!