Nvidia Pitches Advantages of G-Sync Over AMD's FreeSync

BiG StroOnZ

Your right proprietary is better for Nvidia and companys as it normally means more money, but it's worse for the consumer, if one makes a proprietary implementation to use it I will need to get into their eco system and be locked into that if I want to use that implementation, or another company make their own proprietary implementation, or someone tries to make a open implementation, suddenly there are so many implementations that saturate the market.

The best implementations always win out. That is the nature of competitive markets.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How many people here have used G-Sync and Free-Sync side by side to compare?

If you haven't, all you can go off of is what reviewers are saying about it in their tests. PCPer isn't going to outright lie to everyone about their tests. LMG has samples, so they'll also be doing tests I reckon.

I'm pretty sure @Slick is going to do some creative testing, given they have at least one of each to try everything out with. Doesn't Linus have three ROGs to boot? Its not like they're gonna leave it alone. They'll test. 

People here can't even remember that not everyone has access to either yet. They are still prohibitively expensive for anyone who doesn't just throw away every last cent on computer hardware. Normal people are going to hold off, they'll wait, they look at reviews to help. 

So sue us for acknowledging that and using the existing information we have as opposed to testing the forums experts. 

Blind love for company is a strong lens that distorts reality.  Why let cold hard facts get in the way of making spurious claims about the superiority of one product they haven't used against another product they also haven't used.

ANYONE who says one is superior to the other at this stage of the game is a fanboy, end of story.     

In other words personal perspective will lead you to conclude one is shaping up to be better, but that doesn't mean someone else's perspective is wrong. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Nvidia's reference coolers have gotten a lot better and actually aren't that loud anymore. Far from silent, but they're hardly the turbines they used to be. Of course they have a cooling solutions team. Someone had to design those coolers.

The problem with your final analysis is that it leaves out one very inconvenient fact: AMD can't develop new tech quickly and rebrands 90+% of its new products year over year because it doesn't have the money because it makes horrifically stupid financial choices. AMD could learn a thing or two from Nvidia and Intel: price what the market will bear and deal with price wars later.

I know they have a cooling solutions team my point was they don't sell cooling solutions and no one at all should be using their reference coolers and they're well aware of it, so because they have a limited budget for R&D I'm perfectly happy they don't waste it on coolers no one actually uses. (Nvidia's reference cooler maybe better then AMD's but they've clearly come to the conclusion it's not worth wasting any of their much larger R&D budget on as well or they'd have done more then change the color in the last 3 years and both reference coolers suck compared to the MSI Twin Frozr for example)

Oh I know they don't get the same R&D budget and I'm no AMD fanboy(8 of 10 cards I buy are Nvidia just atm their price-performance is stupid in AUD vs AMD) but let's be honest here they're far from the only company that does the entire rebrand thing in this market pretty sure my 4gb 770 was a rebranded 680 was it not?  You're 100% correct though if AMD didn't want to always be the nice guy with open standards they'd be able to make some more money and maybe increase their R&D budget some which would help them out a lot.  (that's why I made the nice guy that gets friend zoned comparison they do what they think is right even at their own expense lol) 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

why do people want amd to fail you do know that if amd succeeds with free sync it will drive down the price of your g sync monitors -_- but fanboys be fanboys and dont care if they have to pay 500 dollars extra 

Blind love for company is a strong lens that distorts reality.  Why let cold hard facts get in the way of making spurious claims about the superiority of one product they haven't used against another product they also haven't used.

ANYONE who says one is superior to the other at this stage of the game is a fanboy, end of story.     

In other words personal perspective will lead you to conclude one is shaping up to be better, but that doesn't mean someone else's perspective is wrong.

Yeah. It's funny that people are making claims for a display panel that they can't even test themselves and likely have never even used in person.

This is why I agree with Jay when he says he hates a lot of forum users everywhere because all they'll do is regurgitate false information they heard from some other guy who got their information out of their own asshole (he didn't use those exact words, but it's accurate). 

I hope they both stick around for a long time.

The best implementations always win out. That is the nature of competitive markets.

I agree, but not my point.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

why do people want amd to fail you do know that if amd succeeds with free sync it will drive down the price of your g sync monitors -_- but fanboys be fanboys and dont care if they have to pay 500 dollars extra 

I haven't seen anyone say they want AMD to fail. I have seen a few say they are not convinced it is as good as others are making out.  Given we have only a few reviews to go of and one of them wasn't very positive I'd say the response is mostly fair.  With exception of course of those few who are blindly saying one is superior without any real hands on experience or evidence to support that claim.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So just to toss this in there Linus doesn't like the freesync monitor that he has right now as it's the one with 40-75hz range. Freesync basically does nothing on that monitor. Gonna have to wait for a better implementation to compare them.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I'm not an expert on this topic, but Wasn't ghosting a case where the image is displayed to long and you see the old image trailing behind the new one?
If so, isn't the panel the most likly source of ghosting and not the driver? Or can the driver actually manage how fast the single cells are turned on and off?

Another question of mine is ..
Isn't it obvious, that a hardware sollution is better than a software one?
nVidia is using a dedicated chip, to regulate everything the monitor dose and AMD is using a dedicated driver, both will most likely get the job done (more or less) but as far as I see it, G-Sync seems to be the supperior sollition ... again, which seams to be obvious because nVidia is using a dedicated hardware sollution and AMD is using a dedicated softwaresollution.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but Wasn't ghosting a case where the image is displayed to long and you see the old image trailing behind the new one?

If so, isn't the panel the most likly source of ghosting and not the driver? Or can the driver actually manage how fast the single cells are turned on and off?

nVidia is using a dedicated chip, to regulate everything the monitor dose and AMD is using a dedicated driver, both will most likely get the job done (more or less) but as far as I see it, G-Sync seems to be the supperior sollition ... again, which seams to be obvious because nVidia is using a dedicated hardware sollution and AMD is using a dedicated softwaresollution.

ehh, both are hardware solution.

What G-Sync (module) does is replacing the controller or scaler on the monitor, while FreeSync require a capable scaler that can do Variable Refresh Rate, and a GPU that has the hardware capability to control it, that's way GPU support are limited to certain AMD GPU. While G-Sync are widely supported on Nvidia GPU.

http://techreport.com/news/27071/monitor-scaler-makers-commit-to-freesync-hardware

ehh, both are hardware solution.

What G-Sync (module) does is replacing the controller or scaler on the monitor, while FreeSync require a capable scaler that can do Variable Refresh Rate, and a GPU that has the hardware capability to control it, that's way GPU support are limited to certain AMD GPU. While G-Sync are widely supported on Nvidia GPU.

http://techreport.com/news/27071/monitor-scaler-makers-commit-to-freesync-hardware

Oh, I didn't know, that this was the case, this basically means, whoever can code with the used tech the best achieves the best result.

So this whol G-Sync vs. Free-Sync will be an interesting thing to keep an eye on in the future ^^

I personally don't need to upgrade in the moment, so I'll wait and see how thing go down ^^

I know they have a cooling solutions team my point was they don't sell cooling solutions and no one at all should be using their reference coolers and they're well aware of it, so because they have a limited budget for R&D I'm perfectly happy they don't waste it on coolers no one actually uses. (Nvidia's reference cooler maybe better then AMD's but they've clearly come to the conclusion it's not worth wasting any of their much larger R&D budget on as well or they'd have done more then change the color in the last 3 years and both reference coolers suck compared to the MSI Twin Frozr for example)

Oh I know they don't get the same R&D budget and I'm no AMD fanboy(8 of 10 cards I buy are Nvidia just atm their price-performance is stupid in AUD vs AMD) but let's be honest here they're far from the only company that does the entire rebrand thing in this market pretty sure my 4gb 770 was a rebranded 680 was it not? You're 100% correct though if AMD didn't want to always be the nice guy with open standards they'd be able to make some more money and maybe increase their R&D budget some which would help them out a lot. (that's why I made the nice guy that gets friend zoned comparison they do what they think is right even at their own expense lol)

Nvidia's reference coolers are good for ITX builds that have no internal airflow for fan-based cooling solutions.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Theres alot of nvidia circle jerk here....alot..I hope nvidia's paying you  :rolleyes:

BS I still see it.

Like right here. So what, you're saying that you have the BenQ monitor, a compatible card, and have tried the suggested settings, and still see the ghosting? How much more can come out of your ass, and does it always look nvidia green?

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Its not off topic, its a very valid criticism of both. 

Right now, only crazy early adopters who have 500 to spend on arguably mediocre monitors that work great for gaming are the ones who will do this. I MIGHT do it, but here is my problem. I have Nvidia GPUs right now. That means 700 or so on a ROG Swift, which admittedly is a great monitor for gaming. 

But then I have fanboys telling me how FreeSync is so much cheaper. Okay. I need 400 dollars in GPUs + 500 in a monitor anyways. So what the hell am I saving? Nothing. Not now, not for the next year or so will prices actually make sense. 

If I'm spending that much on a monitor, I'm getting either a PA328Q or a 34UC97. Monitors that don't care about which GPU you use. Monitors that will actually last the test of time and not lose their feature set if I chose to change a GPU two years down the line, like I have before. Last time, I went from AMD to Nvidia but all I did was get GPUS. Now I would need to get a new monitor just to get this tech that actually works and improves gaming. But that also stupid to arbitrarily lock myself into either one right now. 

AMD and Nvidia are equally guilty in this. 

Nvidia I have no doubt would never license g-sync to AMD, nor will they equip their cards with DP 1.2a, not sure how this is AMD's fault.

2 standards is certainly not good for the industry, nor the consumer locking customers into one ecosystem. As you point out, now you have to buy a new GPU & monitor now to make the switch.

Nice circular logic. Hardware is better because hardware is better, without actually saying why hardware is better.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Theres alot of nvidia circle jerk here....alot..I hope nvidia's paying you :rolleyes:

Like right here. So what, you're saying that you have the BenQ monitor, a compatible card, and have tried the suggested settings, and still see the ghosting? How much more can come out of your ass, and does it always look nvidia green?

I have friends who game. SHOCKING I KNOW! And yes they happened to make an upgrade to an R9 290 and the BenQ monitor mentioned earlier. With FreeSync going I can see ghosting plain as day whether or not it's locked to VSync.

Nice circular logic. Hardware is better because hardware is better, without actually saying why hardware is better.

Hardware is better because hardware doesn't the extra time software does to complete the same operations on more general-purpose computation tech.

Nvidia I have no doubt would never license g-sync to AMD, nor will they equip their cards with DP 1.2a, not sure how this is AMD's fault.

2 standards is certainly not good for the industry, nor the consumer locking customers into one ecosystem. As you point out, now you have to buy a new GPU & monitor now to make the switch.

Reminds me of bluray vs HDDVD, the difference being if NVIDIA won, they would not give AMD the option to pay for a license. It boggles my mind how so many people are fine with nvidia's anticonsumer practices.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Reminds me of bluray vs HDDVD, the difference being if NVIDIA won, they would not give AMD the option to pay for a license. It boggles my mind how so many people are fine with nvidia's anticonsumer practices.

Does Nvidia have anti-consumer practices? Undoubtedly. Is G-Sync one? Nope.

Designing, implementing, and releasing a product that gives your products an advantage isn't anti-consumer or unfair competition. It's exactly what the entire tech industry is built on. I'd say it would be more anti-consumer for Nvidia to let AMD use G-Sync because then you wouldn't get competition and every consumer, whether Red or Green, would have to pay the extra cost for the G-Sync module to use VRR.

If Freesync turns out to be better, then Nvidia might switch. But right now, from those who have seen both in action, it seems G-Sync is the better implementation in some cases. You're already seeing Nvidia say they're open to adapting AMD's approach to selectable V-Sync so it's obvious they're paying close attention.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

1st of all, I know why hardware is usually better. I was responding to someone who said everything short of "it's better because it's Nvidia."

2nd, there is no actualy evidence that a hardware solution is better at this problem. Here is a review from someone who doesn't blame ghosting on freesync.

http://www.techspot.com/review/978-amd-freesync/

Surprise, surprise. Just like their graphics cards, the amount you're paying extra does not justify the performance. Not to mention, Gysnc monitors don't have other input options. Still waiting for your response to @Lynx after claiming there are not freesync monitors with other inputs.

Does Nvidia have anti-consumer practices? Undoubtedly. Is G-Sync one? Nope.

Designing, implementing, and releasing a product that gives your products an advantage isn't anti-consumer or unfair competition. It's exactly what the entire tech industry is built on. I'd say it would be more anti-consumer for Nvidia to let AMD use G-Sync because then you wouldn't get competition and every consumer, whether Red or Green, would have to pay the extra cost for the G-Sync module to use VRR.

If Freesync turns out to be better, then Nvidia might switch. But right now, from those who have seen both in action, it seems G-Sync is the better implementation in some cases. You're already seeing Nvidia say they're open to adapting AMD's approach to selectable V-Sync so it's obvious they're paying close attention.

I'll believe it when it happens. I lost faith in Nvidia years ago, and I've been waiting for them win me back. They make great products, but I refuse to support them and their anti consumer practicies.

I'll believe it when it happens. I lost faith in Nvidia years ago, and I've been waiting for them win me back. They make great products, but I refuse to support them and their anti consumer practicies.

While I disagree with Nvidia's tendency to lock technologies to only their cards, you have to understand they spend a lot of money and time developing this stuff. They have every right in the world to limit it to their own GPU's, I wouldn't call this anti-consumer. If AMD had bigger market share, maybe nvidia would feel pressured to include that part of the market as well but as it is right now they don't need to. It's kind of an annoying circle since large market share means they don't have to make their technologies available to others and the same technologies likely drive sales..

every company seems to b trying to lock you in to their products and only theirs ...

While I disagree with Nvidia's tendency to lock technologies to only their cards, you have to understand they spend a lot of money and time developing this stuff. They have every right in the world to limit it to their own GPU's, I wouldn't call this anti-consumer. If AMD had bigger market share, maybe nvidia would feel pressured to include that part of the market as well but as it is right now they don't need to. It's kind of an annoying circle since large market share means they don't have to make their technologies available to others and the same technologies likely drive sales..

With Nvidia, a larger market share means they don't have to properly support their older cards after they launch new ones. What better way is there to reward customer loyalty than doing this?

fc4-fps.gif