Best air cooler?

ShadyHost

I am looking to buy a new air cooler and I am not sure if the Noctua NH-D14 is still the top dog.

Does anyone have any benchmarks for air coolers?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It would probably the NH-D14 there is also the Silver Arrow as well. The reason I would just go with the NH-D14 is that its about as good as you will get with a air cooler plus you get there fans plus when there is a socket change they will mail you the new socket mount which I don't think other companies typically will do. 

Gotta love dat Noctua.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Gotta love dat Noctua.

It would probably the NH-D14 there is also the Silver Arrow as well. The reason I would just go with the NH-D14 is that its about as good as you will get with a air cooler plus you get there fans plus when there is a socket change they will mail you the new socket mount which I don't think other companies typically will do. 

I've owned the NH-D14 before and it was an amazing cooler. 

I guess I will just go with that one....again. 

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme

Noctua NH-D14/NH-U14S

Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2

Those are all probably with degrees of each other with the exception of the U14S providing performance near those other coolers with a lower price point.

Edited by nightlitezzz

Now wait a second!

The chart on that site shows that the H80i is better than the D14. I know that not to be true. Is it possible I got faulty H80 or maybe got a series of bad mounts?

I am pretty sure the D14 is much better compared to the H80i

I would say that is probably wrong as well that the h80i is probably not as strong as the NH-D14. However what is unclear is whether or not they used after market fans on the coolers. So say for example if they put noctua nf-12's on the radiator that would make quite the difference over a stock h80i experience. 

I would say that is probably wrong as well that the h80i is probably not as strong as the NH-D14. However what is unclear is whether or not they used after market fans on the coolers. So say for example if they put noctua nf-12's on the radiator that would make quite the difference over a stock h80i experience. 

Ok. So about this Phanteks cooler it looks a lot like the D14. Are there any benchmarks on it comparing it to the D14?

From the acoustics chart they are probably using the stock corsair fans which are actually great performing fans. They also out perform the nf-f12s by a lot but sound like a tornado at 12v.

As far as air coolers I believe the D14 and silver arrow are still the top dogs. Do you just prefer air over an AIO or even a cheap custom loop?

Edited by Silentsoul

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

From the acoustics chart they are probably using the stock corsair fans which are actually great performing fans. They also out perform the nf-f12s by a lot but sound like a tornado at 12v.

As far as air coolers I believe the D14 and silver arrow are still the top dogs. Do you just prefer air over an AIO or even a cheap custom loop?

man do the stock corsair fans sound like a tornado whole heartily agree. 

Edited by calarahil

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme

Noctua NH-D14/NH-U14S

Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2

Those are all probably with degrees of each other with the exception of the U14S providing performance near those other coolers with a lower price point.

Not Dark Rock 2, but Dark Rock Pro 2

CPU:Intel 3770k Motherboard:Gigabyte z77x-ud5h GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti Ram:Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Storage:Crucial M4 128GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case:Zalman Z11 Plus PSU:Corsair TX650 Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 Fans:Noctua NF-P12+ Silverstone AP123 Keyboard:Corsair K90 Mouse:Corsair M60 Monitors:Dell U2412M+U2312HM

For me, the best CPU AIR cooler will have to be Noctua's NH-D14.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

nothing beats the intel stock cooler :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Noctua is always tha best! and worst looking...

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Not Dark Rock 2, but Dark Rock Pro 2

Yeah, I was thinking of the dual tower cooler and I thought it was Rock 2. I'll edit it now.

i d take the dark rock pro 2 over the nhd14 it s about the same as the nhd14 but it is less ugly. i think it s quieter too but its performance is 1-2c worse or something like that

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Noctua NH-D14

i5 3470 | MSI B75MA P45 | 8GB Value Ram | Plextor M5S 128GB | Sapphire 7850 | WD Blue 1TB | SF 600W Gold | CM Storm Scout II

I get the feeling some are more aesthetic bound. I look at the NH-D14 as more of a status symbol people see that and know you mean business not that they wouldn't with other coolers but just my 2 cents. 

I recently purchased the Dark Rock Pro 2, having almost gone for the Noctua NH-D14, but Be Quiet!'s heatsink comes with PWM fan control which really does make a difference, as a fair few boards don't seem to control 3-pin fans on the CPU socket.

Just wondering, how does a high end air cooler compare to and AIO water cooling unit? Are there different benefits from going from one to another?

D14 hands down.

post-12620-0-10679200-1373287572_thumb.j

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

Just wondering, how does a high end air cooler compare to and AIO water cooling unit? Are there different benefits from going from one to another?

The benefit is that at higher overclocks typically they can hold better then the NH-D14. They also take a smaller foot print in your case and allow you to have higher profile/high performance memory.

The downside the pump, and often times the fans that come with the cooler are average at best.