Potential new sponsor, G2A - Yay or nay?

nicklmg

You're looking at it from a customer perspective. LMG is a business, it needs to be looked at from a business perspective. If Microsoft decided to become a sponsor of LTT and they see LTT is supporting a company that has a shady operation, they will immediately stop sponsoring.

...But G2a isn't shady. They buy keys, and sell keys. They keys that G2a buys have always been legit, haven't they?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Do you have a source that tied G2A as a company to illegal/stolen keys? (not a seller on their marketplace, the company itself) Not trying to say that you're not correct, I just want to make sure I get the facts straight.

That's EXACTLY the issue here. If you do your research and use the service properly, by all accounts that I've found, you'll probably be fine as a consumer. If you buy the Shield product you will be fine, but that's another discussion entirely... The issue is that public opinion is so negative, and this negativity is being perpetuated by a lot of public figures in the industry, whether about G2A directly or about grey market services in general (and I'm not trying to say that those figures are wrong or bad for doing so - it's their opinion, based on their experience, and I can certainly justify some of their arguments). It just seems like becoming associated with them provides an opportunity for a lot of bad press.

I have purchased several times from G2A with no issues. I've had more issues buying from "legit resellers" than I have had from G2A. 

Personally, I understand the concept of a Marketplace versus a Reseller and understand the risks associated with it. G2A, form all I have read, usually fixes the issue if your key has problems - that's something many other marketplaces will not do. I also have yet to see anything shady about them, and any evidence to back it up, despite the common belief that they are bad. Again, its a marketplace, and any online marketplace has it's risks and "grey areas", and i understand that. Same for Amazon, Ebay, Even Newegg now.

But I realize I am not the majority. I believe, that MOST people, even LTT regulars, will not understand Marketplace vs reseller, and will have a fit because "they were told by XXX youtuber that G2A sells illegal software". And therefore, will have a major issue with LTT partnering with G2A in some form whether they have a reason to or not. 

My opinion: Let this poll go for a bit, and see what the final results are. If satisfactory, then partner with G2A in a limited fashion, if possible. Start off small, with website ads and links in video descriptions. Maybe only on-air about it during twitch streams versus official videos. Give the social media population some time to vent their concerns, and if people freak out, then you can move on to another partner. Or, start bigger ads and more prevalent partnership.

I have not worked with partners before, and can see how this could just not work, but, It's an idea. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

...But G2a isn't shady. They buy keys, and sell keys. They keys that G2a buys have always been legit, haven't they?

where do they get the keys and how come they can get it for so cheap? Anyway why is some site like G2A popped up when the boss is on vacation?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

where do they get the keys and how come they can get it for so cheap? Anyway why is some site like G2A popped up when the boss is on vacation?

They get the keys usually on steam sales or in humble bundles and stuff (or sometimes they're donated) and then sit on them until the price on them has gone up enough until they can make a profit. 

And in the OP he says they've been in talks for a lil while

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Please @nicklmg, don't. They are pretty damn sketch in my eyes.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You're looking at it from a customer perspective. LMG is a business, it needs to be looked at from a business perspective. If Microsoft decided to become a sponsor of LTT and they see LTT is supporting a company that has a shady operation, they will immediately stop sponsoring.

No... The reason we are here, asking the community, rather than talking to our other sponsors about this is that the community has a say in determining who should have a presence on the show, not other companies that sponsor the show.

-snip-

With the results of this poll as they are so far, there's pretty much no chance we would be moving forward with a deal with them - not for the foreseeable future, at least. With over half of the respondents against the idea, it would be pretty ignorant of us to move forward with a deal like this.

Anyway why is some site like G2A popped up when the boss is on vacation?

What does Linus being on vacation have to do with anything?... We've been evaluating the platform for a few weeks now - he's knows full well that I have been in talks with them.

I'm glad that you're not giving them a sponsor spot. They seem incredibly shady and I've had a few people have problems with them in some GW2 forums that I've been in.

http://xkcd.com/1499/

I have used them a few times, but unfortunately the very first time was not so good.

The long and the short of it, they gave me regional key which downloaded a foreign language version of the game and I could not change it to English. I specifically selected the "GOBAL" version and I even bought G2A shield. When I contacted support they were no help (they didn't understand the problem yet I explained it multiple times) and eventually stopped responding and ignored me all together despite me doing what they asked. Now I had already downloaded the game and activated the key but how in the world was I suppose know it wasn't a Gobal or US/CA key without downloading given that the receipt said "Gobal" key? I eventually gave up and bought a new CD key through them and this time I activated it on another account and it worked. 

The support I talk about is their email support, I found out that their live chat is just about useless when you a issue that extends beyond payment or FAQ. 

Now that is just one bad experience with them, I have many better ones with them since then. However I am now concerned over buying certain keys from them given the previous issues related to stolen keys, etc. I will continue to use them to get older games for cheap but I will be more hesitant on the AAA new titles. 

I guess you could say I weary of their business practices and support but it's not like they are dead set on destroying the earth, so they can't be all that bad. And I would have no objections to them sponsoring LTT and I may even buy more through them if there was an affiliate code or something like that (but no AAA's for me). I voted no in the poll but upon reconsideration I will change that to a "YES" but I can totally see why others may not think the the opposite. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I say go for it, I've been buying keys from them for years and I wouldn't mind seeing them sponsoring the show.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Total Biscuit made a video explaining their business model, needless to say it is very shady. 

Content Patch #191: "Nintendo's affiliate program, fraudulent FarCry 4 keys from Origin revoked - Jan. 30th, 2015" is the name of that video.

Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: ASUS Z97; CPU: i5 4670K; Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB; Graphics Cards: EVGA GTX 760; PSU: Seasonic SS-660XP2; SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro 1TB

Selling Microsoft Dreamspark codes is not something I would approve of.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

You should have them as a sponsor for money making purposes but I wont ever use that site, got a different site to use.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

I've used them many times, they have good prices. Never had a problem getting what I paid for. They recommend you pay for "insurance" so you are guaranteed you will get the game, but I have never needed it, I think this should be included for using there service, but I think that they do this because they are not the ones who deliver the game, other members do. I know there has been some news going around that they might have been using hacked keys, but this is not G2As fault it is the members who sold these keys fault. G2A is more of a platform for people to buy and sell games than a store, bad things like this aren't necessarily their fault, but I do think that they should do a better job of making sure people aren't using hacked keys. Regardless their prices are fantastic, I think they would be a good sponser

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

Ive used them multiple times, and never had a problem, G2A SHIELD is a brilliant concept, and i personally dont mind waiting 15 or so minutes to share my screen to verify the key works. (Considering how much you save)

Customer service has been excellent both times ive had to deal with them directly, Enabling G2A Shield and checking the sellers credibility i dont see how people have negative opinions about them.

Definite "yay" from me. :)

They get the keys usually on steam sales or in humble bundles and stuff (or sometimes they're donated) and then sit on them until the price on them has gone up enough until they can make a profit. 

And in the OP he says they've been in talks for a lil while

Right here no matter where you go all new game sell at a price of $59.99. Price of games do not go up, they drop after some time.

No... The reason we are here, asking the community, rather than talking to our other sponsors about this is that the community has a say in determining who should have a presence on the show, not other companies that sponsor the show.

With the results of this poll as they are so far, there's pretty much no chance we would be moving forward with a deal with them - not for the foreseeable future, at least. With over half of the respondents against the idea, it would be pretty ignorant of us to move forward with a deal like this.

What does Linus being on vacation have to do with anything?... We've been evaluating the platform for a few weeks now - he's knows full well that I have been in talks with them.

What does your current sponsors has anything to do with the decisions that you make? You guys make the decision and then your current sponsors will decided on whether they want to continue to sponsor or not. Yes Linus on vacation has nothing to do with this, and I've read in the topic starter post that it's been discussed for quite some time. But who makes the final decision that gives the go ahead? Is the final decision just based on the number of votes in this topic, the person who's in charge of handling sponsors, or Linus's decision? If the majority of the votes said yes, then will you guys go ahead and have G2A as a sponsor? Never used their site and never will, went to it to check out what they have. They have Win8.1 Enterprise for around $100 bucks. Enterprise can't be bought as a standalone product in retail channels or e-tailers. and it does not offer standalone license. To obtain the license, customer has to go through Microsoft's volume license site and buy directly from MS.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Ehhh, I've heard too many shady things about them to want them to be a sponsor. I'll vouch for something like GOG.com instead, as suggested earlier in the thread.

I've used them about 10 times, and never had a problem with them. as long i buy keys directly from them, i believe im fine 

Just my opinion, but I think it would be GREAT to have one of their reps come in for a quick chat on the WAN show, and if they are genuine they would be able to explain a lot of questions given to them and hopefully uncover all the mystery about their business. I understand that some people may not like watching someone from G2A being in the WAN show but I really think it'll be both beneficial to us as the audience members and LTT/other future people who might be offered to sponsor them. :) Hope you're still reading the posts. 

What does your current sponsors has anything to do with the decisions that you make? You guys make the decision and then your current sponsors will decided on whether they want to continue to sponsor or not. Yes Linus on vacation has nothing to do with this, and I've read in the topic starter post that it's been discussed for quite some time. But who makes the final decision that gives the go ahead? Is the final decision just based on the number of votes in this topic, the person who's in charge of handling sponsors, or Linus's decision? If the majority of the votes said yes, then will you guys go ahead and have G2A as a sponsor? Never used their site and never will, went to it to check out what they have. They have Win8.1 Enterprise for around $100 bucks. Enterprise can't be bought as a standalone product in retail channels or e-tailers. and it does not offer standalone license. To obtain the license, customer has to go through Microsoft's volume license site and buy directly from MS.

You seemed to think that our sponsors have some influence on who we do and do not partner with. I was simply letting you know that that is not the case. The person who is in charge of handling sponsors (aka me) makes decisions regarding sponsorships based on a number of factors, one of them being community opinion. Does that mean if the poll was 51-49 in favor, we would be going ahead? No, but the poll gives me a good idea of the general opinion of the community, and is an important factor in the decision making process.

Just my opinion, but I think it would be GREAT to have one of their reps come in for a quick chat on the WAN show, and if they are genuine they would be able to explain a lot of questions given to them and hopefully uncover all the mystery about their business. I understand that some people may not like watching someone from G2A being in the WAN show but I really think it'll be both beneficial to us as the audience members and LTT/other future people who might be offered to sponsor them. :) Hope you're still reading the posts. 

You're definitely correct in saying that it would be very useful in providing insight for the community, but based on this thread alone, the amount of backlash we would see from even having someone from the company on a show would be huge. I think in this situation the bad press outweighs the potential positives by far. Thanks for your feedback though.

Yes, a sponsor for LTT would be great! I've used G2A and G2Play, only ever had one problem that Origin quickly fixed. Nothing shady about the site at all. Some sellers, maybe, but not the site. Just like you wouldn't blame Amazon for one its sellers ripping you off.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Many sources claim that they should not be supported.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Solid no.

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

I like G2A, and I find them more reputable than other grey market sites - besides, it's not like anything they're doing is actually illegal. I say go for it; I buy so much through them, that you'd probably get a few hundred in kickbacks from me alone.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

I say no. If another key incident were to occur it could negatively affect LMG reputation. As always trust takes a long time to build and can be lost in seconds. I do not think they are worth the risk.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G