Sound cards are.........Irrelevant?

Nickgerard25

I did some research on sound cards, and to my newly gained knowledge, I dont need a sound card for gaming?  my motherbored is all I need?

Nope you don't need a sound card for gaming, modern motherboards have pretty decent integrated sound cards, so no point to get a sound card really. (I'd say its only needed for an older pc or one that doesnt have the audio outputs needed.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Im so shocked because someone recommended I get the 

ASUS PCI-Express x1 Sound Card XONAR ESSENCE STX/90-YAA0C0-0UAN00Z

But why would I spend $185 on something I dont need?  Im glad I looked at the forums here first.  

@kbmb13,  I have the logitech wireless g930 and I LOVE THEM!!! 

yea a sound card for gaming is a waste of money, glad you didn't bought it!

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

Yup, pretty irrelevant for gaming in this day and age.

Plus, the average human ear can only hear up to 18KHz, not all humans can hear from 20Hz to 20KHz,

so yeah, your motherboard on-board audio is enough for almost everything.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

i bought one just for the optical out, for my surround system 

Some use cases like the one above needing an extra output are the only real reason for buying them these days. Unless you're doing professional audio then their "Sound Cards" are a hell of a lot more expensive :lol:

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

@Sousuke, When are we gonna get another season of Full metal panic?  Theres been rumor for quit some time ^_^

@Sousuke, When are we gonna get another season of Full metal panic?  Theres been rumor for quit some time ^_^

I've heard of the new Mangas however nothing on new anime ... I hope it comes out as I'd like to see what happens now as I feel that the Second Raid left off on a bit of an unfinished note so would love to see what they do now as I am not a massive reader of manga but a long time watcher of anime.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Unless you need features like the ability to encode to Dolby Digital or DTS in real-time to a receiver via optical, most onboard cards can't do that. An esoteric use, maybe, but they're not irrelevant.

Used to be of benefit a couple years ago when I helped my parents with sound production, newer integrated sound processors have improved dramatically, so yeah....more or less useless unless seeking out of box compatibility with things like hackintosh etc

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

Yeah, pretty irrelevant. I've been wanting one because I like to adapt everything I can to 1/4", and I have a few plugs that I have to adapt down to 3.5mm, which is inconvenient, but there's really no reason to. Specialty uses are the only time I would really recommend one.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Unless you need features like the ability to encode to Dolby Digital or DTS in real-time to a receiver via optical, most onboard cards can't do that. An esoteric use, maybe, but they're not irrelevant.

I agree there, but also there aren't many cards on the market I know of that support HDMI Dolby 7.1 output used in high-end home theaters.

I don't see the point in them with modern motherboards.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Unless you need the extra ports no need for them most of the time.

i use a sound card because i like being able to press a physical button to change between speakers and headphones and having a spinny volume wheel is handy. using a Xonar U7 i've also got a 5.1 tv surround sound hooked straight into the computer while using a optical, but i only use it for movies or games, music i use a 2.1 or my headphones which when plugged into the Mobo, well it doesn't run them loud enough, and by loud enough i mean i talk quietly and my voice overpowers them

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Dedicated sound card are not relevant these days because people are fine with shitty sound experience. Sorry guys, but it is true.

With a good pair of headphones or headset (costly), or speakers, mixed with a dedicated sound card, you will enjoy static and interference free experience, not to mention a rich lively sound, with amazing med range, and balanced. Which the great majority of motherboard onboard solution fails to deliver any of the above points.

To me, it is like an true 8-bit (per channel) IPS monitor. Why do I get it? Because I love rich, fairly color accurate with great reproduction to enhance my gaming experience and my general computer usage. To me there is no point in playing games at high settings, let alone any higher, if your colors are over saturated, or washed out. Might as well play them at medium-low settings. I am not a hardcore FPS player, for whom they probably don't care about sound quality, all they care about is basic voice chat with a good mic and hear the game. But if you play games for the art and experience instead, and not competitively, then to, it is all part of the experience.

However, HOWEVER. Doesn't mean that it is a dedicated sound card that you'll get amazing sound necessarily. They are dedicated sound card which wont' give you much over an onboard sound solution, and those are overpriced as the whole thing is probably 5$ at best to manufacture has little to no R&D, and then you have good ones.

BUT, dedicated sound card is not the only solution. You can get better sound for your money, potentially, by going with an external amp/dac device. The only up side from a dedicated sound card is that it doesn't take room on your desk.

I agree there, but also there aren't many cards on the market I know of that support HDMI Dolby 7.1 output used in high-end home theaters.

Well none do because Optical itself only supports up to Dolby 5.1. For most people HDMI is the way forward, but in the PC space if you want your 4K or you want 1440p 144 hz, that usually means circumventing your receiver's video input and only using it for sound decoding and amplifying, which makes non-HDMI essential.

Dedicated sound card are not relevant these days because people are fine with shitty sound experience. Sorry guys, but it is true.

With a good pair of headphones or headset (costly), or speakers, mixed with a dedicated sound card, you will enjoy static and interference free experience, not to mention a rich lively sound, with amazing med range, and balanced. Which the great majority of motherboard onboard solution fails to deliver any of the above points.

To me, it is like an true 8-bit (per channel) IPS monitor. Why do I get it? Because I love rich, fairly color accurate with great reproduction to enhance my gaming experience and my general computer usage. To me there is no point in playing games at high settings, let alone any higher, if your colors are over saturated, or washed out. Might as well play them at medium-low settings. I am not a hardcore FPS player, for whom they probably don't care about sound quality, all they care about is basic voice chat with a good mic and hear the game. But if you play games for the art and experience instead, and not competitively, then to, it is all part of the experience.

However, HOWEVER. Doesn't mean that it is a dedicated sound card that you'll get amazing sound necessarily. They are dedicated sound card which wont' give you much over an onboard sound solution, and those are overpriced as the whole thing is probably 5$ at best to manufacture has little to no R&D, and then you have good ones.

BUT, dedicated sound card is not the only solution. You can get better sound for your money, potentially, by going with an external amp/dac device. The only up side from a dedicated sound card is that it doesn't take room on your desk.

In terms of actual sound quality a sound card will get you no benefit. Firstly it's in exactly the same environment as the motherboard with almost as little screening, so it's not going to be particularly noiseless, and on a decent motherboard (the kind everyone on this forum yells at people for suggesting) the onboard sound is pretty much the exact same as you'd be getting on an external in terms of dac and actual sound quality.

There is benefit in getting a proper external dac because you can properly screen it from external electrical noise and the dac itself tends to be much better.

You are pretty much confirming that the sound card is irrelevant. You either go with external solution or be satisfied with onboard solution. There is no place for dedicated sound card these days.

Two revolutionary dance tones

In terms of actual sound quality a sound card will get you no benefit. Firstly it's in exactly the same environment as the motherboard with almost as little screening, so it's not going to be particularly noiseless, and on a decent motherboard (the kind everyone on this forum yells at people for suggesting) the onboard sound is pretty much the exact same as you'd be getting on an external in terms of dac and actual sound quality.

There is benefit in getting a proper external dac because you can properly screen it from external electrical noise and the dac itself tends to be much better.

Complete wrong. Dedicated sound card can clean the power it receives stabilizing it, and shield components from interference. To get a more extreme protection some sound card have a EMI shield and takes power directly from the PSU. The distance is sufficiently far to not cause a problem. This is a very known fact.

Also a dedicated sound card feature an SPU or Sound Processing Unit, while onboard solution takes the work it needs to do, simplify it in some way, and send for teh CPU to process, takes it passes it though an super el-cheapo DAC. Not to mention that all components are super cheap in managing the sound.

You are pretty much confirming that the sound card is irrelevant. You either go with external solution or be satisfied with onboard solution. There is no place for dedicated sound card these days.

Sure there is. Dedicated sound card is a simple, easy and integrated to the system solution which will deliver a significantly improved experience (assuming good speakers or headphones, not mention source used, of course).

You might want to buy something like Soundblaster Z if you want a digital out or even ZXR if you want to run analog directly from your computer to 5 speakers, and get a usually better surround sound solution to a game's headphone settings in the form of SBX studio. The soundcard drivers usually give you more some nice processing things that you can't otherwise get. That said it's not a holy grail of positional audio, it's just emulating what 5.1 setup would give you and positional audio on Windows is a sad story of regression.

That said cheapo (might not be quite as good) alternatives exists, some USB headphones have Dolby Headphone though it's usually the "you're in a movie studio that echoes" -variant of it, Razer Surround is free and uses a bit of your CPU to do the processing.

In terms of soundquality for listening or gameplay, nothing, really. The DACs were figured out a long time ago, and these days you really have to cheap out on a motherboard to get worse audio quality than you would out of a sound card. You can't tell the difference in a true blind test. If your headphones are harder to drive, i.e you wouldn't use them with a portable music player, the amp on some cards can help.