Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 Pre Gaming Performance

ShadyHost

KEEP IN MIND WINDOWS 8.1 IS STILL IN BETA

Hello all:

Recently Microsoft released the .ISO for the Windows 8.1 Developer Preview. While this is just a "Developer Preview" I was hoping that it would bring some kind of performance upgrade much like the standard Windows 8 version does. When I first installed the retail version of Windows 8, I noticed a large performance increase over my previous install of Windows 7 Pro. The idea was that Microsoft may have made some kind of improvements to the performance of their operating system. 

Check out the benchmarks to find out:

THE SETUP

i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz

Asus P8z68-v LX Motherboard

Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked (OC details below)

Vertex 4 128GB loaded with OS + freq. games

2x 1TB Barracuda Drives in Raid 0

Windows 7 Pro / Windows 8.1 Pro Preview

Graphics card overclock settings were the same in both tests. 

320.49 Drivers

106% Power Target

94* Temp Target

+100 MHz GPU Offset

+650 Memory Offset

+38mV Voltage Offset

I didn't use my usual overclock settings because I wanted to bring it down to a level that most people with a 780 could achieve. My card went a little above what most reviewers were able to push theirs to. 

GAME SETTINGS

I chose the Unigene Valley Benchmark as well as Tomb Raider 2013 for these tests. Below are my settings used for both.

Unigene Valley

Language - English

Preset - Custom

API - DirectX 11

Quality - Ultra

Stereo 3D - Disabled

Monitors - Single

Anti-Aliasing - x8

Fullscreen = No

Resolution = System (1920x1080)

Tomb Raider

Fullscreen = Yes

Exclusive Fullscreen = Yes

Resolution = 1920x1080

Vsync = Off

Quality = Custom

Refresh Rate = 144hz

Monitor Aspect Ratio = Auto

Motion Blur = Off

Screen Effects = On

Textures = Ultra

Anisotropic Filter = 16x

Anti Aliasing = FXAA

Shadows = High

Level of Detail = Ultra

Post Processing = Yes

Hair Quality = TressFX

Precision = High

Tessellation = Yes

Reflections = High

Depth of Field = Ultra

Results

dgq0nsD.jpg

Benchmarking Notes

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are extremely similar in performance. It might be an issue that I am testing games that do not benefit from the improvements of Windows 8. Microsoft let me down with this version of Windows

Conclusion

Windows 8.1 Sucks! Microsoft broke all of the features even worse. Their response to the community wanting a proper start button was to make the Windows 8 start button even worse! I will admit the new logo is quite nice and I will actually try to get it ported into Windows 7. The compatibility of programs like "Classic Start" and "Windows 8 Start" are now broken and they will not work properly. 

The performance of Windows 8.1 is also considerably worse than that of the regular version of Windows 8. Dragging windows around seemed a little slower and programs did not open as fast. One upside was that this version felt like it booted instantly. My Vertex 4 SSD was able to scream past the boot logo and put it right to the Metro start screen right after my motherboard posted. Good job Microsoft!

Compatibility with Windows 8.1 is also the same. Some games in my Steam library like Black Ops 2, Metro 2033, and GTA IV would just simply not start up. Basic programs like Chrome, GPU-Z, RealTemp, and Photoshop were all unaffected. 

Should you install the Windows 8.1 Preview? No!

If you need a free operating system then this is the way to go. If you have an existing install of Windows 7 DO NOT UPGRADE. 

I am reinstalling Windows 7 as I write this. I understand this is preview software but at least make it as fast as Windows 8.

Edited by ShadyHost

I agree with most of what you said but I do like the feature of booting to the desktop as well as the background options for the Metro UI (very nice to have for touch devices).

From what i've seen so far, for general everyday use 8.1 seems a lot more snappy then even windows 8 though but yes I do agree with your other points..

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

From what i've seen so far, for general everyday use 8.1 seems a lot more snappy then even windows 8 though but yes I do agree with your other points..

Same. Honestly, slapping StartIsBack on Windows 8 like Logan said in his videos was the best idea ever. I love W8 and even go into the Metro UI at times to check weather since they have a really nice app for that. Hopefully the speed issues you said it had will be solved before it is released because I'll definitely be updating to 8.1

| NCASE M1 | ASUS ROG Strix Z270I | Intel Core i7-7770k | ASUS GTX 1070 ROG STRIX | SilverStone SFX600W | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Corsair H100i v2 | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX300 525GB |

Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with some tweaks...  Why should games perform significantly better?  It's not like that was ever promised.

You really can't pass judgment based on a developer preview.  There are obviously going to be some loose ends with respect to performance that need to be tied up.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Preview versions are for bug testing the OS and for devs of application/games. You didn't make windows or any of the programs you tested.

Not trying to point out anything you didn't already know, but thank you for your keen interest. People should already know to not use this kind of "preview" versions. Its not "cutting edge", but its still very valuable information on your part!

Thanks for the heads up!!

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Im using windows 8 and i really like the hibernate shutdown feature...boot time of an ssd without the £150 premium.....my pc takes about 10 maybe a tiny bit more seconds to boot to the desktop.....i havent tried windows 8.1 as its in developer preview. Not my thing.....ill wait for the official 8.1 release and buy a ssd aswell when it comes out to get blisteringly fast speeds.... =D

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with some tweaks...  Why should games perform significantly better?  It's not like that was ever promised.

You really can't pass judgment based on a developer preview.  There are obviously going to be some loose ends with respect to performance that need to be tied up.

Far Cry 3 was a big one for me. I went from getting 70-80 frames on Windows 7 to in the mid 100s in Windows 8. 

Also playing Battlefield 3 in borderless mode is significantly better in Windows 8

I would at least expect for 8.1 preview to be at least as good as Windows 8 if not better. 

Im using windows 8 and i really like the hibernate shutdown feature...boot time of an ssd without the £150 premium.....my pc takes about 10 maybe a tiny bit more seconds to boot to the desktop.....i havent tried windows 8.1 as its in developer preview. Not my thing.....ill wait for the official 8.1 release and buy a ssd aswell when it comes out to get blisteringly fast speeds.... =D

-Anubikai

My monitors could not turn on fast enough during the boot process. They start to turn off after the motherboard post and then have to turn back on when the little fish logo comes on. 

I would estimate from post to desktop it is around 4 seconds. 

My monitors could not turn on fast enough during the boot process. They start to turn off after the motherboard post and then have to turn back on when the little fish logo comes on. 

I would estimate from post to desktop it is around 4 seconds. 

Woah thats really dats, and i thought my boot time was insane XD still 10-12 seconds isnt bad =P also windows 8 isnt really that bad for gaming, ive become used to the metro ui and use it fine with a mouse and keyboard.....

-Anubikai

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

I'm hoping you used Nvidia 326.01 drivers for your windows 8.1 tests.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I'm hoping you used Nvidia 326.01 drivers for your windows 8.1 tests.

320.49 WHQL

Does that one make a difference?

320.49 WHQL

Maybe, if the 326 drivers have some optimisation done on them for windows 8

-Anubikai

320.49 WHQL

326.01 were made specifically for windows 8.1 so I would think so. Maybe have some optimizations and less issues with the update for certain programs and games. Those are the ones I'm running atm don't notice a difference in fps from 8 to 8.1 but i'm not playing any demanding games atm, kinda on a DOTA2 binge.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

326.01 were made specifically for windows 8.1 so I would think so. Maybe have some optimizations and less issues with the update for certain programs and games. Those are the ones I'm running atm don't notice a difference in fps from 8 to 8.1 but i'm not playing any demanding games atm, kinda on a DOTA2 binge.

Maybe, if the 326 drivers have some optimisation done on them for windows 8

-Anubikai

I wish I would have tried them. 

Maybe if I am bored one day this week I will reinstall and use those drivers to update the OP

use this on both OS's

just want to see if it actually makes a difference, as I personally use this

use this on both OS's

just want to see if it actually makes a difference, as I personally use this

OOOO thanks. I will also use this from now on. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

To the OP:

It's not an issue that you might be testing games that doesn't benefit from Windows 8/8.1, it's just that you're testing ONE GAME.

There are several reviews out there showing that most games do in fact see increased performance when moving to Windows 8.

To the OP:

It's not an issue that you might be testing games that doesn't benefit from Windows 8/8.1, it's just that you're testing ONE GAME.

There are several reviews out there showing that most games do in fact see increased performance when moving to Windows 8.

Yeah I noticed that Far Cry 3 had a major performance boost when going from 7 to 8.

I might redo this test with the proper drivers when I get my new desk. 

Window 7 KİCKSA.SS

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Yeah I noticed that Far Cry 3 had a major performance boost when going from 7 to 8.

I might redo this test with the proper drivers when I get my new desk. 

Looking forward to it (:

8.1 is still in Beta, so I wouldn't think of this data as final! I have had a lot of problems with the Beta so far.... so yeah, wait for it to come our fully :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

OOOO thanks. I will also use this from now on. 

yep, makes things a ton faster