Set 2D clocks on 6790 (or any ati card)

Maverik5124

Ok so I want to use the hardware acceleration with vlc. When I play a movie my 6790 changes the clocks from 100mhz/150mhz (core/mem) to 300mhz/1050mhz. This causes the temperature to go up and the fan to spin faster. My pc is pretty quiet so it is noticable and pretty undesirable while watching a movie.

The gpu usage is only 10% or below so lowering these clocks would be an option. Is there any way to change these 300mhz/1050mhz?

Maverik5124

you could just make a fan profile so that the fan only goes up to a certain speed when it reaches a certain temp.

you could do this with msi afterburner.or you could just set the fan to manual and set it to a certain speed when your watching movies,and change it yourself when your gaming.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

you could just make a fan profile so that the fan only goes up to a certain speed when it reaches a certain temp. you could do this with msi afterburner.or you could just set the fan to manual and set it to a certain speed when your watching movies' date='and change it yourself when your gaming. [url']http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Thanks for your suggestion. I know of afterburner already and already use it for overclocking. I like the default fan profile though, pretty good for gaming and stuff. But if noone else knows a solution I guess that's what I'll be doing.

What do you guys think is a good temp to start ramping the fan up? The card will reach 51C while using the hardware acceleration with vlc.

So if I understand this correctly, you want to lock your GPU so it doesn't go full speed. If that is correct.. well I might have a solution for you.

I am saying might try something, but it might not work.

I have made a software for computer enthusiast like us, which control your graphic card performance based on what you run. So for example, you can say: When I am on idle or just browsing the web or folder, keep my GPU at minimum speed so that my computer stays nice and quiet. When I play a game, I want it to go a full performance. But, if I play.. lets say for example, Crysis 2, I want my GPU to overclock, and when I run VLC, I want my GPU to be at this specif speed.

It sounds a bit complicated, but fear not it's actually very simple. However, here is the problem with my program. Its for Nvidia GPU's only, but there is a way around that using MSI AfterBurner, and this is the experiment part.

You see my software allows you to use it's built-in overclock feature which only works with Nvidia card, OR, use your own overclock software like MSI AfterBurner which my program communicates with it, by emulating keyboard shortcuts linked to defined profiles in MSI AfterBurner. So, you can make 2 or 3 profiles: Minimum speed, 2D clock, and maximum in MSI AfterBurner, where you assigned a keyboard shortcut like Ctrl+Alt+1, Ctrl+Alt+2 and Ctrl+Alt+3, for example. And you can tell my software: "Use custom overclock software, for Power Saver (this is the minimum or 2D clock, which ever you prefer), emulate keyboard key press Ctrl+Alt+1, for High Performance (full speed) Ctrl+Alt+2". One feature to keep in mind that will not work, is the overheating protection system of my software, as it can't read the GPU temperature as it's not Nvidia's. So as long as you don't OC, or if you monitor the temperatures yourself, you should be good.

So, this is how you get started:

1- You need to get my software, Nv GPU Pro (http://www.nvgpupro.com/download.php) - the left one, not the right one.

2- Install. It will tell you that you don't have an Nvidia GPU, but you'll see a button to skip that and continue anyway.

3- Once the setup starts, the Management panel will show:

man_con_1.PNG

Click on
Profiles

You 'll see this:

man_con_2.PNG

Click on
Power Saver

Finally, scroll down, check the radio box:
Use custom overclock software
, and on the drop down box select
Keyboard shortcut
, enter it on the box bellow, and do the same with
High Performance
where you pick another keyboard shortcut. Leave the panel open for a moment, you'll need it a bit. If you close it by accident, you can open it from the Start Menu/Screen.

Now, all you have to do, is define your profiles in MSI AfterBurner, and in the options of it, you want to define a keyboard shortcut for the profile:

after1.PNG

Now you are done, all we need is to tell Nv GPU Pro to watch for VLC and set pick a profile.

Back to
Nv GPU Pro Management Console
(if you closed it, you can open it back form the Start Menu or Start Screen). At the bottom left corner of the program, click on
Games & Application
s tab. If you look above the list of games, there is a drop down box, click on it, and select
Applications
. If none of my users has added VLC since now (it uses a community support list of games and application), you won't see VLC. Simply click on the "+" (Plus) button.

man_con_4.PNG

Enter a name, and select the .exe of VLC of where it is installed (vlc.exe).

Then pick
Power Saver
on the drop down box, or the profile that you want.

Tell me how it works out for you.

Your program seems pretty sweet and I would definalty use it if I still had to use my old 9800gt.

There are 2 problems though that will not let me use it for my purpose. Reason numer one is that afterburner does not allow any frequencies under 420. This would actually be a higher clock speed than what it automatically goes to.

The second problem is that if it goes up to any defined profile and (not the 2D automatic one) it bumps up the voltage from 0.95V to 1.19V. This would cause it to be even hotter than the original settings.

If I ever get the money to buy the GTX 670 I have my eye on then I will use your program! And thanks for your help :) I think I will just make a custom fan profile as that seems to be the only solution that would work for me. But thanks again!

Maverik5124

Edit: I might check out your program later for setting up the automatic profiles for games. It seems pretty awesome

Hmm it sucks that AfterBurner doesn't allow you to down clock lower than 420 :/

Glad you are interested in my software. I am continuously working on it, adding new features, fixing bugs, taking user requests. It's also designed for laptops with features like auto switch Windows power settings based on if you are plugged in or not and lock the GPU at minimum performance when on battery.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it if you have a chance to give it a spin.

I think if you disable PowerPlay in CCC, it will disable dynamic clock.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |