Average Voltage for 4690k at 4.2 GHz?

I'm at 1.20 V right now. Is this a normal voltage for this cpu at 4.2 GHz?

That's pretty high compared to the low OC. try to push it a bit more on the clock speed if you can.

Mine's running 4.4Ghz, 1.14V

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

That's pretty high compared to the low OC. try to push it a bit more on the clock speed if you can.

Mine's running 4.4Ghz, 1.14V

The bios automatically set the voltage for me after I changed the multipliers. Should I manually set the voltage? 

The bios automatically set the voltage for me after I changed the multipliers. Should I manually set the voltage? 

Yes. Leave offset on auto and go as low as possible on the voltage

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I'm doing 4.15Ghz from my locked i5 4690 with 1.14v as well.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I don't know what board you have but 1.2 volt is high for your overclock. My chip runs at 1.13 volt with 43 multi. And yes you should always set the voltage manualy. Auto pushes more then the cpu needs leaves you with higher temps. 

For overclocking in general. Turn off turbo and set your clock adjustment to fixed mode instead adaptive or override. Also do a stresstest and monitor your temps. Anything between 60 and 70 C° under load is save for haswell but you want it to be as low as possible.

I feel afraid because I have my 4690K on 4.6GHz at 1.35v on a H80i. Temps are at 70°C under 100% load from both Aida64 and XTU so I dunno if I should be afraid lol

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

I feel afraid because I have my 4690K on 4.6GHz at 1.35v on a H80i. Temps are at 70°C under 100% load from both Aida64 and XTU so I dunno if I should be afraid lol

For your multi that seems good temps, but 1,35 volts is insane lol. Does is bsod when you lower to 1,3?

I don't know what board you have but 1.2 volt is high for your overclock. My chip runs at 1.13 volt with 43 multi. And yes you should always set the voltage manualy. Auto pushes more then the cpu needs leaves you with higher temps. 

For overclocking in general. Turn off turbo and set your clock adjustment to fixed mode instead adaptive or override. Also do a stresstest and monitor your temps. Anything between 60 and 70 C° under load is save for haswell but you want it to be as low as possible.

I have the Maximus 7 Hero. What voltage should I set for 4.2 GHz?

I have the Maximus 7 Hero. What voltage should I set for 4.2 GHz?

Try 1.15 then adjust from there. Dunno if thats helping you but this are my bios settings.

gezY5pX.png

lA5Woly.png

Try 1.15 then adjust from there. Dunno if thats helping you but this are my bios settings.

gezY5pX.png

lA5Woly.png

Ok so I was able to set the Voltage to 1.10v and everything seems fine. I ran a xtu benchmark and my system scored excellent. So now I'm running 4.2GHz at 1.10v. Sound Good?    

/You don't NEED to turn off Turbo.

But for some reason people do.... it may be easier, or people just like the easy way... I dunno....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

For your multi that seems good temps, but 1,35 volts is insane lol. Does is bsod when you lower to 1,3?

Yeah it does.

1.3 is good at 4.5GHz tho. But I want to push the chip all the way to the safe limit. Some people said not to cross 1.3v, some say 1.4v so I dunno which to believe lol

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Ok so I was able to set the Voltage to 1.10v and everything seems fine. I ran a xtu benchmark and my system scored excellent. So now I'm running 4.2GHz at 1.10v. Sound Good?    

Way better. You can try to lower it 0.01 Say 1,09. Overclocking is more um you need to get a feel to it. How it oc my chip is:

Set the prefered multi thats common archived on the internet.

Start with higher voltage like 1,20

Lower the voltage in 0,05 steps

When it bsods or responds with errors higher it back in 0,01 steps till it boots.

Stresstest and look at the temps

1Temps fine -> Ad x1 multi -> repeat

2Temps bad -> Lower the multi x1 -> stresstest -> temps check

3Temps still high -> lower multi x1 repeat "2"

Yeah it does.

1.3 is good at 4.5GHz tho. But I want to push the chip all the way to the safe limit. Some people said not to cross 1.3v, some say 1.4v so I dunno which to believe lol

It's more a personal preference thing. 1,3 seems to be safe. Other say 1,4 thats true. Thats the same then some say you can run it above 70C° save under load. For my reference I never go above 1.3 and 70C° Haven't killed a single chip in 2 years since I'm overclocking :D

Way better. You can try to lower it 0.01 Say 1,09. Overclocking is more um you need to get a feel to it. How it oc my chip is:

Set the prefered multi thats common archived on the internet.

Start with higher voltage like 1,20

Lower the voltage in 0,05 steps

When it bsods or responds with errors higher it back in 0,01 steps till it boots.

Stresstest and look at the temps

1Temps fine -> Ad x1 multi -> repeat

2Temps bad -> Lower the multi x1 -> stresstest -> temps check

3Temps still high -> lower multi x1 repeat "2"

Thank you for the help :) My temps are looking great under a full stress test. Around 53 C at 4.2GHz at 1.10v. Again thanks.  

Thank you for the help :) My temps are looking great under a full stress test. Around 53 C at 4.2GHz at 1.10v. Again thanks.  

Thats a fast clocker right there. 53 C° is really good :D

It's more a personal preference thing. 1,3 seems to be safe. Other say 1,4 thats true. Thats the same then some say you can run it above 70C° save under load. For my reference I never go above 1.3 and 70C° Haven't killed a single chip in 2 years since I'm overclocking :D

This is pretty weird. I looked through the LTT OC database and there are people getting 4.6GHz on the same CPU with the same mobo as me on 1.305 volts.

Did I luck out on my chip?

T.T

~~~SnapDragon~~~

This is pretty weird. I looked through the LTT OC database and there are people getting 4.6GHz on the same CPU with the same mobo as me on 1.305 volts.

Did I luck out on my chip?

T.T

Could be. You could try 1,35 1,34 1,33 and so on and see how it responds. Minor tweaking to save a few degress.

Could be. You could try 1,35 1,34 1,33 and so on and see how it responds. Minor tweaking to save a few degress.

I tried 1.335v and it passed a 1 hour Aida64 stress test, only to BSOD when I played some GTA IV.

Pushed it up to 1.340 and although it went longer, it still BSODed after a few hours of GTA IV.

I placed it at 1.350 for now and I'll prolly get back to it after getting a good night's rest.

I followed one of the guide threads here at the forums and apparently, it says that 1.30v to 1.44v is safe for water coolers so meh?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/?p=540888

~~~SnapDragon~~~

I tried 1.335v and it passed a 1 hour Aida64 stress test, only to BSOD when I played some GTA IV.

Pushed it up to 1.340 and although it went longer, it still BSODed after a few hours of GTA IV.

I placed it at 1.350 for now and I'll prolly get back to it after getting a good night's rest.

I followed one of the guide threads here at the forums and apparently, it says that 1.30v to 1.44v is safe for water coolers so meh?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/?p=540888

Then you lost the silicon lottery :( When it bsods your option is to lower the multi 1 down to archive lower voltage in order or leave it at this state. Might be a bit on the high side but it works. 1,44? Maybe on customloop but not on an aio.

Then you lost the silicon lottery :( When it bsods your option is to lower the multi 1 down to archive lower voltage in order or leave it at this state. Might be a bit on the high side but it works. 1,44? Maybe on customloop but not on an aio.

Yeah I would prefer staying below 1.4 because I'm already on edge with going over 1.3. I'll try turning it down to see again tomorrow. But temps are really good. It goes to 70°C and stays there. For an AIO, I'm impressed.

I just needed to reassure myself that 1.35v isn't going to decrease the lifespan of the CPU dramatically (but overclocking already decreases lifespan by a bit) because, I'm planning to last about 5 years with this build or even more.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

Yeah I would prefer staying below 1.4 because I'm already on edge with going over 1.3. I'll try turning it down to see again tomorrow. But temps are really good. It goes to 70°C and stays there. For an AIO, I'm impressed.

I just needed to reassure myself that 1.35v isn't going to decrease the lifespan of the CPU dramatically (but overclocking already decreases lifespan by a bit) because, I'm planning to last about 5 years with this build or even more.

1,35 decreases the lifespawn. Dramatical, no. If it stays at 70 then its good. Some say "70" meaning low 70's to 75 which is close to tj. The thing is a stresstest keeps your chips on 100% all the time which most applications never do. Maybe a slight peek here and there but not running 15 minutes or more sweating the chip into pieces  ;) If you do folding now thats something diffrent but I asume you only do games or rendering. Thing is you want avoid that your cpu is going to run higher temps then needed. That said your gonna survive 5 years. 

1,35 decreases the lifespawn. Dramatical, no. If it stays at 70 then its good. Some say "70" meaning low 70's to 75 which is close to tj. The thing is a stresstest keeps your chips on 100% all the time which most applications never do. Maybe a slight peek here and there but not running 15 minutes or more sweating the chip into pieces  ;) If you do folding now thats something diffrent but I asume you only do games or rendering. Thing is you want avoid that your cpu is going to run higher temps then needed. That said your gonna survive 5 years.

Yeah, mainly gaming and some Adobe Premier Pro rendering for school projects, I might end up compiling and decompiling C++ codes and java codes for school but that's about it really.

I was being optimistic when I said 5 years. I was hoping 10 years.

>.>

My pentium 4 on windows vista lasted for a good 12 years for me before I dumped it for my school laptop.

But like I said, overclocking no matter if it's a high overclock or low overclock, will decrease the lifespan of the chip. It's just a matter of how dramatic it is.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

• 1 year later...

I OC my i5 4690k to 4.2 @ 1.12V using prime 95 for about 10 mins i got to max temp of 80C is that ok?