Don't support Swiftech

Hello all, I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I'm in the middle of a new x99 build with SLI GTX 980's. I decided to go with the Swiftech H240-X after reading good reviews about its performance compared to other AIO's.  I didn't want to go with a custom loop, as I'd like it to be fairly maintenance free.  

Anyway, I purchased the 240x from performance-pcs.com.  After shipping and a 5.5% discount I paid $157.55.  Not very cheap for an AIO, but because I heard such good things, I paid the premium.

The package came yesterday, outer box looking fine, but inside was a different story.  The unit looked abused / battered.  The SATA connector that provides power was broken (just want to clarify, that the plastic support pins were broken, it would still work if connected, but all the same - I like nice, new things, broken is broken).  There were dents on the radiator fins in a couple of spots (though I was able to bend them back into shape, which took about 30 minutes to do right).  One near the hose inlet, the other above.  The whole thing was incredibly dusty, and protective film on the block was peeled back, and the inner cardboard tattered.

I contacted Swiftech, and spoke to Bryan, who tells me that the SATA connector being broken is common, and that the unit itself should still work.  While I'm sure it would still work, I didn't pay full price for this battered thing.  I tell him I'll contact performance-pcs the next day to see what options they have for me, as he had an attitude of someone who couldn't be bothered to care about such a thing.

So, today I contacted performance-pcs.  After several emails letting me know that the unit wasn't used, and that the connector shouldn't be broken, they asked me if I'd still be able to use it.  I told them that I'd be okay with 2 scenarios.  One a small percentage reimbursement, or two a replacement altogether.   They asked me if 10% would be fine, I agreed it would be.  They told me they'll need to first contact Swiftech to approve the discount.  The whole email conversation was CC'd to Bryan at Swiftech by the way.

So Bryan responds by basically saying "Fine, since you received it broken, send it in and we'll repair it, and send it back, but you'll not be getting any discount."  

Now, if he'd have offered to send me a replacement, I would have been fine, but I didn't pay for a refurbished unit, I didn't pay to wait a month or possibly longer to have my item repaired, and I'm not going to pay to ship the damaged unit back for repair, when I shouldn't be responsible for Swiftech's lack of quality control.  

At this point, I tell Bryan that I'm basically disgusted by the way they treat their customers, and I'd rather not give them my business, that I should probably return the product for a full refund.  

I receive an email from performance-pcs telling me that they're willing to give me the 10% now if I want it.  I believe they sent that BEFORE I sent that email to Bryan, though I cannot be sure.  I don't believe they were CC'd on that one.

On one hand, performance-pcs will take the loss if I return the unit, but on the other hand, I really don't want to give these guys my business.  I also worry about issues down the road of having to deal with them if it has problems.  So, I call into Swiftech, speak to the operator and ask her if Bryan is the only member of tech support.  She tells me he is.  This worries me.  He's been very unaccommodating, so if I have issues again, I'll be left to deal with him.  She asks me to hold, then transfers me (I didn't ask for her to do that but that's okay).  Bryan picks up, and I explain my concerns.  He tells me that that's how they operate, and asks me if I've received the newest email, sent by the "CEO."  I check my mail, and it's just "dear sir" this is our warranty policy, useless email.  Thanks, that's helpful.  

Customers looking for help will be met with resistance. Rather than making an effort to help resolve issues, it seems like they defer responsibility and avoid actually helping customers.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm sure there are Swiftech fans here, but I will not be one of them.  Coming into this, I really wanted to be.  What a let down.

welcome to the club

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Let's all lift a middle finger to Bryan

If it's not exaggerated then wow, pretty lame

The fins I was able to re-bend back into shape, the SATA connector plastic support pins were what were broken.  I don't want to make it seem like the entire connector was, but all the same, it was broken.  

welcome to the club

You experience something similar?

Let's all lift a middle finger to Bryan

At least performance-pcs tried making it right, so I'll still shop there, just not going to be something by Swiftech.

well i also got the H240-x and mine was perfect (i got it directly from swiftech).

Then i accidentally bumbed the unit as i was installing it and there was a small crack in the acrylic ( it did not leak so i left it)

I then later contacted Swiftech and was also Emailing Bryan but the service was really good for me ? 

here is the replay after i sent him proof that i bought one and the serial number from my pump.

And this did not cost me anything.

ZpC443M.png

Needs Update

Sounds like Swiftech would be better off making the power connection detachable so common occurrences like broken connections are more easily handled in the future.

Do you have a good picture of the connector? Having a hard time finding a good photo that doesn't have the connector hidden.

I'd be curious to see the actual emails too. Anecdotal accounts are sometimes embellished.

Sounds like Swiftech would be better off making the power connection detachable so common occurrences like broken connections are more easily handled in the future.

Do you have a good picture of the connector? Having a hard time finding a good photo that doesn't have the connector hidden.

its just a standard Sata connection if he really wanted to he could just replace it himself if he did not want to send it back. its just 2 wires coming from the pump to to the connector.

issZaAi.jpg

Needs Update

You experience something similar?

it was a 360 swiftech AIO can't remember the model though. It came out of the box battered and scratched all over I'm pretty sure it wasn't used since the box still had the certifications that it was not opened. When I contacted the retailer they told me they had similar complaints so they tried opening boxes of it while we were in skype and 2 out 3 boxes he opened had at least one defect. Good thing the guys were kind enoughto send me a kraken x61 and a refund well I'm lucky

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

its just a standard Sata connection if he really wanted to he could just replace it himself if he did not want to send it back. its just 2 wires coming from the pump to to the connector.

This, I didn't want to have to send it in, wait for it, etc.  I'd have been happy with the discount offered.  In fact, performance-pcs sent me the 10% a short while ago.  It came to $14.  $14 is what they had to give me to make things right.  Having had to rebend the fins, clean the unit up, be okay with the broken pin (which to be honest, it's not that big a deal, but the overall of how this unit came was what I was unhappy with).

it was a 360 swiftech AIO can't remember the model though. It came out of the box battered and scratched all over I'm pretty sure it wasn't used since the box still had the certifications that it was not opened. When I contacted the retailer they told me they had similar complaints so they tried opening boxes of it while we were in skype and 2 out 3 boxes he opened had at least one defect. Good thing the guys were kind enoughto send me a kraken x61 and a refund well I'm lucky

And I was going to go with the X61 at first.  I probably should have.  

This, I didn't want to have to send it in, wait for it, etc.  I'd have been happy with the discount offered.  In fact, performance-pcs sent me the 10% a short while ago.  It came to $14.  $14 is what they had to give me to make things right.  Having had to rebend the fins, clean the unit up, be okay with the broken pin (which to be honest, it's not that big a deal, but the overall of how this unit came was what I was unhappy with).

Just also think of it like this. you did not buy the unit form Swiftech so why should they send you money back or a new unit ? they are in the right to want to repair it as that is what they do when you contact them. Performance-Pcs should have been the one to give you a new unit as they are the seller. 

If you buy a something from Amazon and its DOA.. you don't go the the manufacture to go to amazon and they replace it as you bought it from them.its then Amazon's responsibility to take it up with the manufacturer.

Swiftech never made the sale to you so why should they be the one to refund or replace your unit. Swiftech has nothing to do with how Performance-PCs handle there stock or how they ship it.

Needs Update

Just also think of it like this. you did not buy the unit form Swiftech so why should they send you money back or a new unit ? they are in the right to want to repair it as that is what they do when you contact them. Performance-Pcs should have been the one to give you a new unit as they are the seller.

If you buy a something from Amazon and its DOA.. you don't go the the manufacture to go to amazon and they replace it as you bought it from them.its then Amazon's responsibility to take it up with the manufacturer.

Swiftech never made the sale to you so why should they be the one to refund or replace your unit. Swiftech has nothing to do with how Performance-PCs handle there stock or how they ship it.

Performance-PCs is who I had contacted for the replacement. For some reason they needed to contact Swiftech regarding a replacement or discount. Swiftech refused the discount.

eHUjrkN.jpg

-snip-

btw, did the unit you receive have a shiny hose like in that picture? The one I received is very dull and dusty.

8iZdFnF.jpg

btw, did the unit you receive have a shiny hose like in that picture?  The one I received is very dull and dusty.

That is the hose that mine came with to. And you know that the box that it ships in is a environmentally friendly box( they can easily make it look like that if it not stored properly) and i say again its not swiftechs fault if performance PC did not store it correctly all of the stuff i revised from swiftech them selfs where is really good condition. ( maybe swiftech  refused them because they said that it was not there fault but performance PC or Performance PC  said that swiftech needs to take the lose when it was there shipping or storing that was the problem.)

All i am saying it that you should not shun a company publicly because you did not get a refund from them when you did not even order from them directly. Even if performance PC did not have any new once they could send you they should have giving you the option to wait until they have in stock to send you a new one.They are even out of stock on swiftechs own site so how can they witch did not sell you the product give you a new one when even they don't have stock. The fasted way to fix it would have been yourself as you did fix it. but swiftech did give you the option to send it back so they can repair it ? If they dont have new once in stock how can they send you a new one ? the best they could have offered was to repair it even though it was not sold though them.

Needs Update

That is the hose that mine came with to. And you know that the box that it ships in is a environmentally friendly box( they can easily make it look like that if it not stored properly) and i say again its not swiftechs fault if performance PC did not store it correctly all of the stuff i revised from swiftech them selfs where is really good condition. ( maybe swiftech  refused them because they said that it was not there fault but performance PC or Performance PC  said that swiftech needs to take the lose when it was there shipping or storing that was the problem.)

All i am saying it that you should not shun a company publicly because you did not get a refund from them when you did not even order from them directly. Even if performance PC did not have any new once they could send you they should have giving you the option to wait until they have in stock to send you a new one.They are even out of stock on swiftechs own site so how can they witch did not sell you the product give you a new one when even they don't have stock. The fasted way to fix it would have been yourself as you did fix it. but swiftech did give you the option to send it back so they can repair it ? If they dont have new once in stock how can they send you a new one ? the best they could have offered was to repair it even though it was not sold though them.

Did you see the post above that where I said performance-pcs had to contact them to get approval for the discount?  Performance-pcs doesn't store these.  It comes in the Swiftech box.  They get a handful and they sell right out of them.  If it's damaged it's a Swiftech quality control issue.  

Again, I wasn't looking for a refund from them... I think now you're starting to pick and choose what you want to hear to argue on behalf of Swiftech.

I'll say it again, for whatever reason performance-pcs needed to contact Swiftech to get approval for any return, discount, replacement.  Swiftech did not agree to any of those options.  They wanted to repair a unit I had purchase brand new.  I didn't pay full price to wait a month+, and I'm not paying more to ship the unit out to them and receive a repaired product.  

At the same time, your thread is titled "Don't support Swiftech", which goes a bit far and is a bit like the Amazon reviews that can be boiled down to DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY EVER AGAIN OR YOU'LL REGRET IT. Personally I have had no issues with any Swiftech products that I have used, and whenever I've had a problem with Performance-PCs, they've corrected it -- I've had RMAs with them and they've even gotten orders wrong as well. Last year when I had a water block spring a leak, they put me through to their AlphaCool representative.

But do a Google search and you'll find complaints. But do a Google search for any company or any product and you'll likely find complaints. Yours is just one more on the list. But given how long Swiftech's been in the business, and given how long Performance-PCs has been around, both are obviously doing something right even if they do occasionally get it wrong.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

As stated by others, we did offer to repair this customer's kit. This is what is required by our warranty. A replacement wasn't possible though simply because these are completely out of stock right now. The dusty appearance is due to the environmentally friendly packaging that we use and the tubing is rubber rather being flexible PVC tubing that can plasticize. Bent fins are common simply due to the thin copper that's used to allow for maximum air flow. I hope this clarifies our position and I am one of the few reps that's available after hours and on weekends to help customers.

Phenom II 1090T @ 4.0, 8 gigs of Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7, EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper, OCZ Vertex 4, Switch 810 gloss black, Swiftech Apogee HD, Swiftech MCR 320 XP, Swiftech MCR 140 QP, Swiftech 220 XP, Swiftech MCP 655 B, Alphacool D5 pump top, Bitspower Z-inline 150 water tank, EK 990FXA-UD7 water block, Swiftech Lok-Seal fittings, Swiftech Helix 120 and 140mm fans, Primo-Chill Blood Red coolant.

I mean, I don't think simply stating the packaging you use is common to cause bent fins is really...well really a good reason to justify it. That's like saying "I understand your new car has a scratch down the whole door but we ship it on a truck so it happens".

I think everyone would prefer packaging that gets an item to them clean and perfect over environmentally friendly packaging.

Where did I say that the packaging caused his bent fins? Bent fins on a radiator of this kind is very common. I've bought many radiators over the years from multiple companies. I've never received one that didn't have a few bent fins. It's also very easy to bend them back into place though.

Phenom II 1090T @ 4.0, 8 gigs of Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7, EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper, OCZ Vertex 4, Switch 810 gloss black, Swiftech Apogee HD, Swiftech MCR 320 XP, Swiftech MCR 140 QP, Swiftech 220 XP, Swiftech MCP 655 B, Alphacool D5 pump top, Bitspower Z-inline 150 water tank, EK 990FXA-UD7 water block, Swiftech Lok-Seal fittings, Swiftech Helix 120 and 140mm fans, Primo-Chill Blood Red coolant.

Bent fins on new radiators is hardly a new thing, but quite common actually - happens for most brands.

I've had bent fins on - new - radiators from Alphacool, EK, Corsair H100 + H100i and XSPC.

In fact the only brand I've been completely successful with is HWLabs (Black Ice series). But their radiators have more sturdy fins, so that might be why.

But the fact that the connector is broken, out of the box, and that it's a known issue would be kinda alarming to me, had I bought this product.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Swiftech as a whole, mainly due to similar stories circulating the interwebz, but also their general aesthetics.

That's just my opinion though, and I'm sure there are many success-stories out there too with the brand.

What's a known issue? We've sold thousands of these kits so far and think that there have been two similar incidents where the SATA power connector was broken right out of the box.

At the same time, your thread is titled "Don't support Swiftech", which goes a bit far and is a bit like the Amazon reviews that can be boiled down to DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY EVER AGAIN OR YOU'LL REGRET IT. Personally I have had no issues with any Swiftech products that I have used, and whenever I've had a problem with Performance-PCs, they've corrected it -- I've had RMAs with them and they've even gotten orders wrong as well. Last year when I had a water block spring a leak, they put me through to their AlphaCool representative.

But do a Google search and you'll find complaints. But do a Google search for any company or any product and you'll likely find complaints. Yours is just one more on the list. But given how long Swiftech's been in the business, and given how long Performance-PCs has been around, both are obviously doing something right even if they do occasionally get it wrong.

I'm happy with Performance-PCs, I have no issue with them. They tried to compensate me, and I'll continue to give them my business without hesitation.

As stated by others, we did offer to repair this customer's kit. This is what is required by our warranty. A replacement wasn't possible though simply because these are completely out of stock right now. The dusty appearance is due to the environmentally friendly packaging that we use and the tubing is rubber rather being flexible PVC tubing that can plasticize. Bent fins are common simply due to the thin copper that's used to allow for maximum air flow. I hope this clarifies our position and I am one of the few reps that's available after hours and on weekends to help customers.

Ah, but in fact, I was specifically told, and reminded that you guys aren't obligated to replace my item (even though it was received damaged), so please don't tell me a replacement wasn't possible simply because you're out of stock. A replacement was simply refused.

Secondly, you had an opportunity to avoid a headache for the customer (me). For whatever reason PPCS had to get approval for the discount from you guys, but it felt like you guys were more interested in standing your ground and giving resistance than accommodating a customer who had received an item that shouldn't have passed quality control. My PC build is at over $3000 right now. Tell me, what does $14 mean to me? Nothing, that's what. It's the gesture. Instead you'd have me go through the headache of waiting who knows how long for a repair to be made, and spend additional money to ship the product to you. This is nothing but poor customer service, and poor business.

What's a known issue? We've sold thousands of these kits so far and think that there have been two similar incidents where the SATA power connector was broken right out of the box.

Really? I was told otherwise. During my very first call... I didn't even tell Bryan how the connector was broken. He told ME, that most of the time it's just the pins on the sides. Seems common enough to me.

That's right, we aren't obligated to replace it. That would have been up to Performance, but they were out of stock. I didn't word that clearly enough. We were under no obligation to replace this for you since it wasn't purchased directly from us.

Really? I was told otherwise. During my very first call... I didn't even tell Bryan how the connector was broken. He told ME, that most of the time it's just the pins on the sides. Seems common enough to me.

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about the bent fins. I didn't mention anything about pins or the SATA connector when you first called because your first call was just about rust on the radiator and some bent fins. The picture of the SATA connector that you sent me only showed that one of the plastic guards on the side was broken. This wouldn't cause any issues with the functioning of the connector. Also, copper doesn't rust. The "rust" that you saw was simply from the fact that the paint didn't completely cover the copper core of the radiator. This is actually ideal because paint can act as an insulator and reduce the radiator's ability to dissipate heat.

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about the bent fins. I didn't mention anything about pins or the SATA connector when you first called because your first call was just about rust on the radiator and some bent fins. The picture of the SATA connector that you sent me only showed that one of the plastic guards on the side was broken. This wouldn't cause any issues with the functioning of the connector.

No, your memory serves you poorly.  My first call was about the SATA connector.  Then I mentioned how the rest of unit looked battered and used.  You seemed like you couldn't be bothered to care the slightest, and told me "it should still work."  I know it can, but I didn't pay for something battered.

I bought a Cooler Master Nepton 280l from Newegg. Now if i would of opened the box and seen 1 bent fin i would of sent the Aio back for another. We buy new shiny things because we want new shiny things not dusty things with bent fins. Performance should of had you send it back refunded your money and let you pick something else if they didn't have any more 240x's in stock.

It's up to the people making Aios or rads and sending them out to make sure they get to the customers without ANY damage. If there is one bent fin then the packaging needs to be addressed.

We all know things happen but we also shouldn't be conditioned to think well i'll just grab a zip tie and straighten this out.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU