cooler master hyper 212 vs the Noctua NH-D14

Air tree

So as the title says i'm wondering if i should go with the hyper 212 or go with the noctua? i can afford both but i was wondering if it is worth having such a large cooler and i must say also ugly looking one at that, here is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1dMa4 also i'm not even sure if the noctua will fit in my build, so any help is nice thank you for reading.

Are you planning on overclocking your CPU? The NH-D14 is a much better cooler and will do a better job at cooling a overclocked CPU, and allow you to raise the voltages more than a Hyper 212

And the NH-D14 will fit in your case. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

will it fit in with my ram fine? and i'm planning on overclocking to around 4.3-4.5 ghz

The Hyper 212 and the NH-D14 are two different categories of CPU cooler. The 212 is more of a budget orientated cooler where the D14 is more of a high performance premium cooler. 

The NH-D14 will fit in your case and you will be able to do 4.3 - 4.5 Ghz with no problems, same with the 212.

You have the GD65 change it to a g45 the only diffrence is that the GD65 have more pci slots and Sata ports also the ssd is pro series get the regular series you will not notice a diffrence, the pro series is if you transfer data on it constanly. With the money you save get water cooling

You have the GD65 change it to a g45 the only diffrence is that the GD65 have more pci slots and Sata ports also the ssd is pro series get the regular series you will not notice a diffrence, the pro series is if you transfer data on it constanly. With the money you save get water cooling

I chose not to get watercooling, not because of the budget.

Why?

no huge reason i just rather go with air cooling.

If you are not overclocking or just mildly overclocking then you may go with the cooler master hyper 212 but if you are going to beat the crap out of the cpu then you may go with the noctua.

But if they dont fit in your case or seem very bulky and large for your taste then maybe you just need to go the water cooling way ! :)

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

If you are not overclocking or just mildly overclocking then you may go with the cooler master hyper 212 but if you are going to beat the crap out of the cpu then you may go with the noctua.

But if they dont fit in your case or seem very bulky and large for your taste then maybe you just need to go the water cooling way i'

what would you consider a "mild" overclock?

I used Hyper 212 Evo on 3770k, but then I purchased NH-D14 a couple of days ago (Price matched on NCIX for $71 before tax). NH-D14 is certainly a better cooler.

I think the experience with Hyper 212 varies wildly depending on how good the processor is at handling OC. If your chip's heat output is low (no or low OC, or if you chip is just that good) there may not be much of a difference between the two coolers. Then Hyper 212 will be good enough for low overclock. My 3770k is a bad overclocker in terms of the heat output and the voltage it needs. With Hyper 212 Evo, the max OC I could do was 4.2Ghz at 1.18V, the temps at low 80s (ambient temp 25C) with prime 95 small fft. 4.4Ghz attempt would reach TJmax (105C). With NH-D14, the same chip can do 4.4Ghz at 1.26V in low 80C.

So, in my case, the temperature difference between the two coolers is 20 degrees or more at 4.4Ghz overclock. 

Another thing you may want to consider is that Hyper 212 Evo is quite noisy under load. You may wanna switch out the fan, which will cost you ~$20. The price of Hyper 212 suddenly goes up to $50, doesn't it? ;)

CPU:Intel 3770k Motherboard:Gigabyte z77x-ud5h GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti Ram:Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Storage:Crucial M4 128GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case:Zalman Z11 Plus PSU:Corsair TX650 Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 Fans:Noctua NF-P12+ Silverstone AP123 Keyboard:Corsair K90 Mouse:Corsair M60 Monitors:Dell U2412M+U2312HM

The Noctua cooler will completely cream the Cooler Master cooler. The Noctua cooler can even beat some all in 1 liquid coolers. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

on a side note:

With Hyper 212 Evo, the max OC I could do was 4.2Ghz at 1.8V, the temps at low 80s (ambient temp 25C) with prime 95.

no way that cpu handled 1.8v and was still under 80c, that must be a typo and voltage would be closer to 1.28v or something

back tp the topic

you re comparing a 100$ cpu cooler with a 20$ one. of course the noctua is better but the 212 is a damn good value

now both are ugly if money isn t a concern, i d go with a bequiet darkrock 2 pro which has similar price and performance to the nhd24 but isn t ugly.

the next step after that is custom watercooling, most aio are louder with similar performance.

i d go with the hyper 212 in a budget build with a 10$ fan added on it because the default one is loud. that brings the price to 30$ or 1/3 of premium coolers.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

on a side note:

no way that cpu handled 1.8v and was still under 80c, that must be a typo and voltage would be closer to 1.28v or something

Yes, typo. 1.18V actually =)

CPU:Intel 3770k Motherboard:Gigabyte z77x-ud5h GPU:Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti Ram:Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Storage:Crucial M4 128GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case:Zalman Z11 Plus PSU:Corsair TX650 Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 Fans:Noctua NF-P12+ Silverstone AP123 Keyboard:Corsair K90 Mouse:Corsair M60 Monitors:Dell U2412M+U2312HM

d14 nuff said

post-12620-0-93641500-1373288379_thumb.j

post-12620-0-93641500-1373288379_thumb.j

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)