MSATA assistance needed please

str8jks

can i fit 2 msatas into one hard drive bay and use them both or do they need to be in raid?

msata generally don't mount they clip in (from what I've seen) and screw in from the back to hold in place. I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Is it a laptop or desktop. When you refer to drive bay are you talking about a mSata port on the Mobo or a HDD bay.

As for Raid, You would need to attach them separately I have seen Sata + Sata Power Cables to mSata on ebay but I am unsure if they work.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

msata generally don't mount they clip in (from what I've seen) and screw in from the back to hold in place. I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Is it a laptop or desktop. When you refer to drive bay are you talking about a mSata port on the Mobo or a HDD bay.

As for Raid, You would need to attach them separately I have seen Sata + Sata Power Cables to mSata on ebay but I am unsure if they work.

i mean in a laptop in one of its hdd bays, i know it can use a raid set up as it can come stock in raid 0 with 2 msata drives and im not sure if because i am able to use 2 in raid can i connect 2 with out the raid in just the one bay like it is when in raid if that makes any sense sorry im kinda tired haha

I don't believe so. If I get what you're saying. I'm still not sure I do but I'm going to take a punt.

I'm pretty sure there is only 1 sata slot per drive bay. You would be able to put 1 driver per bay. They can be put in raid but If I were you I would run 1 mSata so long as your computer has a spare mini PCIE slot to suite and 2 HDD's for storage with no Raid. as far as I am aware you can't use a mSata Drive in a Sata slot with out some form of active adaptor (like this). so you wouldn't be able to just whack mSata SSD's into your normal HDD bays.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. That is my understanding of it.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

SubTract is right. There is no way for you to shove two mSATA drives into a 2.5in laptop HDD bay and use them both. Each SATA devices needs its own port; you cannot connect two SATA devices to the same port.

I don't believe so. If I get what you're saying. I'm still not sure I do but I'm going to take a punt.

I'm pretty sure there is only 1 sata slot per drive bay. You would be able to put 1 driver per bay. They can be put in raid but If I were you I would run 1 mSata so long as your computer has a spare mini PCIE slot to suite and 2 HDD's for storage with no Raid. as far as I am aware you can't use a mSata Drive in a Sata slot with out some form of active adaptor (like this). so you wouldn't be able to just whack mSata SSD's into your normal HDD bays.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. That is my understanding of it.

ok thanks for that mate you got it spot on i thought that was right just wanted to check cheers ;)