Widescreen fix for new themes

Syntaxvgm

Use "stylish" (for both chrome and firefox) or your preferred content overriding plugin and add this 1 simple css property
(For stylish on chrome, apply to "URLS starting with" http://linustechtips.com/main/]http://linustechtips.com/main/]http://linustechtips.com/main/)

#content, .main_width {max-width: 100%; }

For firefox, make a new blank style and add this 

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);@-moz-document domain("linustechtips.com") {#content, .main_width {max-width: 100%;}}

It feels insulting that they took away ip board default without at least going to that effort first. This shouldn't be an option hidden away like they keep claiming they are planning, it should be default. This is not OCN, our forums are not 10 years out of date visually. If you are not going to bother to make the forum responsive in any way, and I'll admit with a forum that is a bit harder than with a regular site, at least make it take up the screen for desktops. Not slightly wider like it is now, but full width. 
EDIT
______
It was brought to my attention that tags are black on the night theme when entering them. To fix that add this-

.ipsTagBox_hiddeninput{color: #ffffff;} 

This can be used with or without the widescreen fix. this, of course, will make it hard to see on the white theme, so make sure to remove it if you want to not be a vampire and join the working class with the day theme xD
______

Where to get stylish

Chrome

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fchrome.google.com%2Fwebstore%2Fdetail%2Fstylish%2Ffjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe%3Fhl%3Dfr&ei=cJsJVdCZJIGANuHqgLgI&usg=AFQjCNEijKHOipFY7fvlCfSwZLHVSnr6jA&bvm=bv.88198703,d.eXY

Firefox

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD0QFjAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Faddons.mozilla.org%2Fen-us%2Ffirefox%2Faddon%2Fstylish%2F&ei=cJsJVdCZJIGANuHqgLgI&usg=AFQjCNHNpHi3zsEpow3mFpc8j38RUBY-7g&bvm=bv.88198703,d.eXY

Without fix
Pu333Sm.png
With Fix 
Fre7X3d.png
Without fix
EcelEYa.png
With Fix 
W95XvAg.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Like a breath of fresh air. Thanks.

Though I will praise Cat and the rest of the crew for the work they've done. Just because they didn't implement one feature doesn't mean we have to raise our pitchforks. Perhaps it was in the works, yet to be released due to testing or something.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Thank you so much, that is much better. Not sure why the size was reduced.

Much more of a hassle, since many people that had 3 line signatures, had them expanded to 5 lines.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Like a breath of fresh air. Thanks.

Though I will praise Cat and the rest of the crew for the work they've done. Just because they didn't implement one feature doesn't mean we have to raise our pitchforks. Perhaps it was in the works, yet to be released due to testing or something.

I'm a web developer. I'm raising my pitchfork. One of the most important if not the most important elements of modern web design in the age of mobile devices is responsiveness, and making a new theme not conform to that very widely excepted standard of modern web design is atrocious and almost offensive. It should also work seamlessly without a separate mobile theme. Once you pass below a certain size, the elements should change to make the expierence perfect for that size. You should be able to test this simply by resizing your browser window. Separate sites and user-agent detection methods are deprecated and flat out inefficient. Since LTT's old theme was better than 90% of forums out there, an update was not needed until it was finished enough to conform to these standards. First impression is important for a website like this, so it needs to look and work perfect on every device.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Thank you so much, that is much better. Not sure why the size was reduced.

Much more of a hassle, since many people that had 3 line signatures, had them expanded to 5 lines.

Yep. Bet they'll get flack for it too.

muh specs 

All parts black

Does this have any effect if you don't have an extremely wide screen? Maybe I have it written wrong.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Does this have any effect if you don't have an extremely wide screen? Maybe I have it written wrong.

Not much. It used to be thinner though, and even on my 1080p screen was a ribbon. So it has improved slightly. Anyone with a 1440p screen or an imac will rejoice, and anyone with a 1080p screen will get a bit more breathing room. The default size is 1440 now, recvently it was 960 I believe, so for 1920x1080 screens you will still get 480 extra pixels of breathing room.

muh specs 

All parts black

I'm a web developer. I'm raising my pitchfork. One of the most important if not the most important elements of modern web design in the age of mobile devices is responsiveness, and making a new theme not conform to that very widely excepted standard of modern web design is attrotious and almost offensive. It should also work seamlessly without a separate mobile theme.

I suppose it was less of an issue for me as my screens are 1920x1080, where I can see yours are larger. While I cannot claim the title of web developer, I do know a thing or two about coding and I love it when a site will conform to almost any size you dictate.

Mine looks like this:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);@-moz-document domain("linustechtips.com") {#content, .main_width {max-width: 100%;}

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Ah, good work mate! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Recommendations on a overrider for chrome?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Recommendations on a overrider for chrome?

Stylish.

muh specs 

All parts black

Stylish.

Oh my god, it's amazing. THANK YOU.

ll1.gif

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I use firefox what should i use?

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I use firefox what should i use?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stylish/

Same thing, Stylish.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

@Syntaxvgm is there a script or such for chrome so i can apply you tweak ? i don't know about scripting that much and have no idea what your OP is suggesting me to do 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

@Syntaxvgm is there a script or such for chrome so i can apply you tweak ? i don't know about scripting that much and have no idea what your OP is suggesting me to do 

install stylish extension on chrome and create a new script then copy and paste the code into there.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

the extension I mention doing this with is called stylish. 

muh specs 

All parts black

the extension I mention doing this with is called stylish. 

i have stylish , have no idea how to add your line 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i have stylish , have no idea how to add your line 

add a new theme, check enable, and specify it for urls starting with http://linustechtips.com/main

then paste the css code snipet in the box, click save

muh specs 

All parts black

buh-......but.........

thats work. :'c

x'D i'll just suffer till its fixed... i'll put up with linux and console stuff but in a browser... i just... at that point feel like it should be taken care of. 

nice work. :D

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

@Syntaxvgm it works , but only for the main page, the rest of them are still narrow

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Nice! But no matter how many times I specify only this URL it starts changing other sites. :(

*good to have the width back!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Nice! But no matter how many times I specify only this URL it starts changing other sites. :(

ya figured that out , thank you :) 

is there anyway we can adjust the width by cusom using stylish ? the wide script makes it too wide 

EDIT:Nvm figured it out , set it 90% 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

@Syntaxvgm it works , but only for the main page, the rest of them are still narrow

You have to select "urls starting with" in the drop-down

Click "add"

muh specs 

All parts black