Flash Update Automatically Installs McAfee! WTF!

So I was just prompted to update flash and without being prompted or given a check box the stupid installer auto installs McAfee security scanner. WTF Adobe??! Anybody else with the same gripe???

Your attitude determines 100% of your life's outcomes. Bad Attitude, bad life. Great attitude, great life.

It just gave me UAC I clicked yes on that and then it started installing everything no questions asked from there. But is this really a practice that Adobe of all companies needs to implement? Don't they make enough through the year without adding bloatware to my PC?

Your attitude determines 100% of your life's outcomes. Bad Attitude, bad life. Great attitude, great life.

It just gave me UAC I clicked yes on that and then it started installing everything no questions asked from there. But is this really a practice that Adobe of all companies needs to implement? Don't they make enough through the year without adding bloatware to my PC?

You usually get an option to not install the program. Try running some virus scans and see what comes up.

It's illegal to not have your permission when they install stuff like McAfee so I'm pretty sure you just missed it. Adobe is too big of name just to be taken down by some bloatware they included

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I'm usually very observant when the installers come up because I really screwed up my first laptop by just clicking next until the end. It is possible that I skipped over it, but really I don't think I did. The only prompt I got here was Windows UAC. This is the update that just came through yesterday.

Uninstall, install old version of flash, update and see what it says? :)

Rogue version of flash? Lol, you probably ended up not seeing it.

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

Nope, flash always tells you if another program will be installed.
They usually hide it in very sneaky ways so you just end up pressing accept.

I'm usually very observant when the installers come up because I really screwed up my first laptop by just clicking next until the end. It is possible that I skipped over it, but really I don't think I did. The only prompt I got here was Windows UAC. This is the update that just came through yesterday.

Flash will ALWAYS ask you before installing McAfee. Did you download the update from their website? If you did, then there is a checkbox in the middle of the three "squares" on their website that prompts you as to whether or not you want to install McAfee. If it was from your computer, with no browser then you obviously missed a checkbox. Just uninstall McAfee, and you should be fine.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Flash will ALWAYS ask you before installing McAfee. Did you download the update from their website? If you did, then there is a checkbox in the middle of the three "squares" on their website that prompts you as to whether or not you want to install McAfee. If it was from your computer, with no browser then you obviously missed a checkbox. Just uninstall McAfee, and you should be fine.

Oh snap! That was probably where I missed it.. I didn't even pay attention to check boxes on their site. Sneaky bastards  :angry: My point remains though.. Is this something that Adobe really needs to be doing? Also, I uninstalled immediately. I was just upset about it.

Oh snap! That was probably where I missed it.. I didn't even pay attention to check boxes on their site. Sneaky bastards  :angry: My point remains though.. Is this something that Adobe really needs to be doing? Also, I uninstalled immediately. I was just upset about it.

They are an intel based company, and intel has a lot of money, so they probably pay Adobe to offer the product, because there are a lot of people these days that won't have Anti-virus, and when they find out that this product is protecting their computer, then they might want to buy the full version, and that generates income for both Intel and Adobe. It's all about the marketing. Just be careful next time :P

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Just get Flash MSI setup, you have no junk, and a better install.

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

I was about to post this ^

Always use the MSI for Flash - this is more aimed towards businesses who use the likes of SCCM for distributing in a domain, so it doesn't have the 'junk'

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA