Are SSDs good for gaming?

numnums
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

And how long would that be? Like, a decade? Hehehe

Well in the testing done by people who pounded the thing with writes until they died it took like 6 months to kill them and about 2 months for most SSDs to get an error. Keep in mind that's a TON of stuff being written. These were all 120GB drives. Lifespan goes up with more capacity ;)

EDIT: They were all around 250GB, sorry.

Hi everyone,

I've wanted to play some games on an SSD but I read that due to the frequent reading and writing of video game data on an SSD, you severely limit its reads/ writes and degrade its life all together. Is this true? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

*EDIT*

I know SSDs don't improve the overall game, but only improve the loading times.

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

Hi everyone,

I've wanted to play some games on an SSD but I read that due to the frequent reading and writing of video game data on an SSD, you severely limit its reads/ writes and degrade its life all together. Is this true? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

A lot of modern SSD's can handle a decent amount of data flow, so you'll be more than fine as long as you get a quality product.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Hi everyone,

SSD's for gaming will only improve load times, wont do anything for actual gameplay

SSD's for gaming will only improve load times, wont do anything for actual gameplay

Ah I already knew that. I'll be sure to edit my first post.

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

They're fine.

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT

They are good, but like you said in your edit, you don't gain much in game FPS, what you gain is just speedy start-ups of the game, and if the SSD fails it doesn't matter, because it's a game and can be re-installed. Plus, if you are using steam, then the games save files will be backed up by the steam cloud storage.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Games do more reading than writing (reads don't really cause endurance loss). It would actually be less stressful than the rigors Windows does on a daily basis. Besides a small save file, the initial download, and occasional updates the rest would be reads. 

They are good, but like you said in your edit, you don't gain much in game FPS, what you gain is just speedy start-ups of the game, and if the SSD fails it doesn't matter, because it's a game and can be re-installed. Plus, if you are using steam, then the games save files will be backed up by the steam cloud storage.

Only if it is supported in that particular game. (A lot don't have this feature)

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Only if it is supported in that particular game. (A lot don't have this feature)

Yes, but most with save-games do. It's also always easy to make a backup just in case :P

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Hi everyone,

*EDIT*

They make loading times significantly faster. That's it. If that's what you want then great :)

Also, a recent long-term test showed that many mid-range to higher quality SSDs can stand like 700 TB or writes before crapping out. Most can hit about 1-200 TB before showing errors. Most can do about 50TB without slowing down significantly.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

They make loading times significantly faster. That's it. If that's what you want then great :)

Also, a recent long-term test showed that many mid-range to higher quality SSDs can stand like 700 TB or writes before crapping out. Most can hit about 1-200 TB before showing errors. Most can do about 50TB without slowing down significantly.

Well in the testing done by people who pounded the thing with writes until they died it took like 6 months to kill them and about 2 months for most SSDs to get an error. Keep in mind that's a TON of stuff being written. These were all 120GB drives. Lifespan goes up with more capacity ;)

EDIT: They were all around 250GB, sorry.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hi everyone,

*EDIT*

I only put games that have a lot of loading like Skyrim or Dark Souls or games that can give you a benefit over loading in quickly; for example I always get to choose marksman or tank commander class in RO2 because I'm always the first person in the match. Some games with in-game loading can help with framedrops if you have an SSD when it needs to load things.

Games like Cities: Skylines where it's only 1 loading screen the whole time you're playing isn't worth it imo.

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

Hi everyone,

*EDIT*

Hey numnums, 

Since you know games rely on storage only for the loading times, this should give you the answer. Besides faster loading times, SSDs could improve your multitasking ability such as tabbing out of a game to do something else, and if that needs to load from the storage drive - it will be faster. SSDs also improve the overall performance of a computer, increase transfer times and make your system much more responsive. 

It is true that SSDs have limited amount of writing cycles, but I have yet to see someone reach that with regular consumer usage. :) I would say that a SSD is a great improvement to any consumer system.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/