Titan X vs SLI GTX 980

atoff

So, the price of the Titan X has just been revealed to be $999 MSRP, cheaper than 2 GTX 980's.  I still have my 980's unopened.  I'll probably lose money on one of them because it's past the return period, so would have to sell it (probably see a profit of $475 - loss of $140 since I paid $615 after tax), but the other should still be returnable.   Should I do that and pick up the Titan X instead?

No, the GTX 980 SLI will perform better either way. We're talking an around 10FPS difference from single card to single card.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

SLI 980s should (in theory) be more powerful than a single Titan X, assuming the SLI is done correctly in the game. What resolution will you be at? The only thing I can think of is the VRAM, unless you need the workstation stuff it has.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

Dual GTX 980 are much faster than a TitanX. Difference between TitanX and 980 is 30% to maybe 40%.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Thanks, makes me feel a little better.  I'm sure I'm not alone in being frustrated about having to build a new gaming PC when all the new stuff is just around the corner.  

I won't need the workstation stuff.  Might get a little Solidworks usage here and there, but nothing more than that and gaming.  Oh, and resolution.  2k-4k.  Currently 1080p, but I'm waiting for those 2k or 4k 144hz monitors to hit the shelves. 

So, the price of the Titan X has just been revealed to be $999 MSRP, cheaper than 2 GTX 980's.  I still have my 980's unopened.  I'll probably lose money on one of them because it's past the return period, so would have to sell it (probably see a profit of $475 - loss of $140 since I paid $615 after tax), but the other should still be returnable.   Should I do that and pick up the Titan X instead?

390X and whatever the cut down version of Titan X will be, will hit the market. I'd say either of those will be a more sensible option.

Better get the Titan X, it's always much better and trouble free to have one single powerful GPU instead of 2 lesser ones.

Plus it has 12GB VRAM. 4GB is just not enough for 4K, assuming that's what you were going for with SLI. 12 is kinda overkill but 4 is just not good enough for 4K.

Also when you think about future, adding 3rd 980 won't really give you any noticeable performance boost and you will have more trouble with SLI and still the same low amount of VRAM, but 2 years from now, adding a second Titan X into your setup would be more than you need for 4K. That's why they decided to go with 8GB VRAM on consoles, because they are planning to use it in the next years. Even now some games with max settings on 4K uses close to/more than 6GB.

INTEL Core i7-4790K  ASUS Maximus VII Ranger  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB  CORSAIR AX860i  CORSAIR Obsidian 750D

390X and whatever the cut down version of Titan X will be, will hit the market. I'd say either of those will be a more sensible option.

Right, but I already have the 980's, and the 390x doesn't have a release date or pricing yet.  

Yeah, idk. I never though of a 980 as much of a value option even at high-end given how much VRAM it had - it doesn't make much sense in SLI, and that 256-bit will hit you back at 4K. Especially at launch since 970 had equal specs, though that turned out to be false.

Titan X is a great card for 3D-modeling, but even there the price-performance is very much of a questionmark and very much a case of whether you will need a full 12GB RAM sandbox to play with or whether if 6GB or 8GB will suffice. The cut down Titan will probably feature 6GB or so given what 390X has.

390X would also feature HBM, more cores so it should fare well at higher resolutions that you're going to be using. That said, the card doesn't even have a release date yet.

But none of the alternatives I'd consider are out yet, and you have your 980's already. If you were gaming at lower resolutions it's a great card, even if you only had one of them.

Yeah, idk. I never though of a 980 as much of a value option even at high-end given how much VRAM it had - it doesn't make much sense in SLI, and that 256-bit will hit you back at 4K. Especially at launch since 970 had equal specs, though that turned out to be false.

Titan X is a great card for 3D-modeling, but even there the price-performance is very much of a questionmark and very much a case of whether you will need a full 12GB RAM sandbox to play with or whether if 6GB or 8GB will suffice. The cut down Titan will probably feature 6GB or so given what 390X has.

390X would also feature HBM, more cores so it should fare well at higher resolutions that you're going to be using. That said, the card doesn't even have a release date yet.

But none of the alternatives I'd consider are out yet, and you have your 980's already. If you were gaming at lower resolutions it's a great card, even if you only had one of them.

It's pretty frustrating.  I think what's left to do is just stick with the 980's until after the 390x is released and drops in price by at least $40-50, then sell off the 980's and get a pair of 390x's.   I'm sure I could still get $400ea for the 980's in 6 months.  It'll be a $400 hit, but such is life. 

Personally I want to know what the 980 Kingpin is capable of before buying any of them. Considering the fact that the Titan is sporting one 6 and one 8 pin vs the two 8 pin and one 6 pin, I think 980 Kingpin is going to overclock like a beast.

i5-4690K, Gigabyte Z97X-SLI, GTX 960 Gaming 4G, HyperX Fury 8Gb 1600Mhz, Corsair Spec-01