SSD for new build

Cs342

Yes, read speeds will definitely be noticeable and could easily halve boot time/average load time.  However forget write speeds, you won't notice a difference anyway. the actual speeds you get will be slower than the advertised and in all likely hood any large files you write are probably going to be either downloaded thus limited to your net speed or from an optical drive, which again is much slower than the hard drive.

This really makes me wonder why people care so much about which SSD they get :P btw, I read somewhere that SSDs are 900 times faster than hard drives due to latency??

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

This really makes me wonder why people care so much about which SSD they get :P btw, I read somewhere that SSDs are 900 times faster than hard drives due to latency??

AS I said earlier, we research the best components because we want the best bang for buck, you are researching because you don't want to buy an ssd that turns out to have issues or is unreliable.  You ask us which is the best because the sum of experience on these forums is big enough that you will end up with good advice.  Some people will spend more because they specifically want the fastest write speed (random or sequential) some might just want the cheapest drive that makes no noise. It's simply horses for courses.

Now stop asking questions and just buy the thing :D

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

AS I said earlier, we research the best components because we want the best bang for buck, you are researching because you don't want to buy an ssd that turns out to have issues or is unreliable.  You ask us which is the best because the sum of experience on these forums is big enough that you will end up with good advice.  Some people will spend more because they specifically want the fastest write speed (random or sequential) some might just want the cheapest drive that makes no noise. It's simply horses for courses.

Now stop asking questions and just buy the thing :D

I just went to purchase the 840, but when I went to the store the salesman said that he has had many customers return their 840 SSDs due to failures and reliability issues. He then recommended the Kingston V300 instead, and said that if I saved up a bit I could even get the HyperX 240GB. Normally I wouldn't trust this advice, but I know him very well and when a salesman actually refuses to sell a customer a certain product, there has to be some credibility behind his words...So now I'm back at home wondering what to do :P

I just went to purchase the 840, but when I went to the store the salesman said that he has had many customers return their 840 SSDs due to failures and reliability issues. He then recommended the Kingston V300 instead, and said that if I saved up a bit I could even get the HyperX 240GB. Normally I wouldn't trust this advice, but I know him very well and when a salesman actually refuses to sell a customer a certain product, there has to be some credibility behind his words...So now I'm back at home wondering what to do :P

they must have a bad batch, buy online or go somewhere else.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Be interesting to know that in a percentage out of how many they have sold, you only hear about bad experiences 

Asus Maximus VI Extreme, I7 4770K, NZXT Kraken X60, Kingston HyperXBeast DDR-3 2400, Sapphire 6950, NZXT Phantom 820, SanDisk 120Gb Extreme x2 in Raid, 2Tb WD Green, SeaSonic X-850 Gold

samsung 840 PRO or Kingston HYPERX 3k are the best i ve used so far

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

I have installed the 840 and 840 Pro drives in many systems and actually run in my laptop a 840 Pro 256gb as Os drive and a 840 500gb as my TEMP drive (which may or may not possibly get thrashed by torrents). i have have never had a problem with any of them and they are now my most recommended brand for desktop/laptop use. Now that Intel has introduced its Semi-Enterprise DC 3700 and 3500 I will probably recommend those for Workstation and above use.

Okay, I think I will order it online then :) Just out of curiosity, is the Kingston V300 a good choice compared to the 840?

Okay, I think I will order it online then :) Just out of curiosity, is the Kingston V300 a good choice compared to the 840?

Thats just another value marketed sandforce drive, so there nothing special about it.

Thats just another value marketed sandforce drive, so there nothing special about it.

So the 840 is still the better choice :P

So the 840 is still the better choice :P

that would be correct. The other thing when your reading speeds is that sandforce drives use compression to achieve those speeds so if you data is already compressed or non compressible you wont see anything near that speed.

that would be correct. The other thing when your reading speeds is that sandforce drives use compression to achieve those speeds so if you data is already compressed or non compressible you wont see anything near that speed.

Okay, thanks for the help :) I am now looking at the webpage for wondering the 840 and there is a version that says "w/ full kit" and it's more expensive. I'm thinking of getting the cheaper one without the full kit

Okay, thanks for the help :) I am now looking at the webpage for wondering the 840 and there is a version that says "w/ full kit" and it's more expensive. I'm thinking of getting the cheaper one without the full kit

that includes a way to transfer data and probably a bracket to make it fit in a standard 3.5in HDD bay if you dont have a dedicated spot for a SSD like most older cases. Where are you buying from?

that includes a way to transfer data and probably a bracket to make it fit in a standard 3.5in HDD bay if you dont have a dedicated spot for a SSD like most older cases. Where are you buying from?

NCIX probably, I'm looking at it now. Is it actually worth $30 more? I'm going to be doing a fresh install anyways

NCIX probably, I'm looking at it now. Is it actually worth $30 more? I'm going to be doing a fresh install anyways

if your doing a fresh install then just get the bare drive. Here are some links.

840120gb http://goo.gl/UbDQV

840 240gb http://goo.gl/iqJW3

Thanks!

Thanks!

Make sure that you have a SATA cable as the bare SSD does not include a SATA cable.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Make sure that you have a SATA cable as the bare SSD does not include a SATA cable.

I should have one lying around :P I can always buy a separate SATA cable if I don't

Well, I definately would go with quality when it comes to storage and cost should not be a gauge at all. I surely prefer Kinston V300 or OWC Mercury 6G which I am currently using in my test lab

I though the Kingston is worse than the 840

I though the Kingston is worse than the 840

Take a look he didnt comepare it to a 840.