SSD for new build

Cs342

I will be building a rig for a friend and he wants an SSD.

While shopping for one I came across these different models that all cost roughly the same amount of money:

Crucial M4 C400 256GB

SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 256GB

Samsung 840 250GB (non-pro)

G. Skill Phoenix III 240GB

OCZ Vector 128GB

Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB (slightly cheaper)

Which one of these would be the best value for money?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I'd go with the mushkin chronos deluxe,best read and write speeds with high random read and write IOPS

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

For the same money? Go with a 240GB+ one. I really like the Samsung and Crucial SSDs so far, never build pcs with one of the others tho

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

They are all around $200, with the 120GB Corsair closer to $150

When money isnt that big of a concern, ~ 250GB SSDs are the only size i recommend, since atleast for me it's the minimum size where i don't have to watch what i put on the SSD that much.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Aren't 120GB SSDs a better value for money?

Aren't 120GB SSDs a better value for money?

When you go up in size for ssds the generally become cheaper per GB like the crucial 960gb ssd is $600 so that is about $0.61 per gb while something like the 128gb vector would be around $140 that would $1.04 per GB.

My bet would be on the Samsung 840 pro. Crucial used to be in the top (still might be) but I've been hearing great reviews on the 840.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

I would go with the either the Samsung or the Crucial because they are both really reliable drives and fast as well. I personally own 1 Samsung SSD 1 Intel SSD and 3 Crucial SSD's They all have worked great for me.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Is the Samsung 840 250GB worth it? The Pro is more expensive so that's why I am not considering it. Will there be a large difference in performance? 

Is the Samsung 840 250GB worth it? The Pro is more expensive so that's why I am not considering it. Will there be a large difference in performance? 

I can't vouch for it since I don't own one (intel 520 ssd) but it sure sounds like it would. The aesthetics of the 840 look great too.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

I can't vouch for it since I don't own one (intel 520 ssd) but it sure sounds like it would. The aesthetics of the 840 look great too.

What I meant was, is the 840 Pro so much faster than the regular 840 that I will regret not getting the Pro version?

That I still don't know. Search for reviews is what I would tell you.

That I still don't know. Search for reviews is what I would tell you.

The writes seem to be significantly higher on the Pro, but I don't know how much of a real-world difference that will make

The Vector is the fastest, but for the same money, go for the 250GB drives, not much loss of performance, double the capacity.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

The samsung 840 is slower because it uses TLC flash (

), The 840 pro doesn't. Hope this helps. I am running one OCZ and two sandisk Ultra no problems with any of them

Asus Maximus VI Extreme, I7 4770K, NZXT Kraken X60, Kingston HyperXBeast DDR-3 2400, Sapphire 6950, NZXT Phantom 820, SanDisk 120Gb Extreme x2 in Raid, 2Tb WD Green, SeaSonic X-850 Gold

So which one of those drives is the best value?

I have read miscellaneous reviews that weren't to favourable for the crucial drives, I haven't had any experiences with them but it was what stoped me from getting one.  I have an OCZ vertex 3 in my rig and I just put an 840 in my missus rig.  I can definitely vouch for all the good reports about the Samsung's and would highly recommend one. Seeing as the vertex 3 has been excellent to me I would assume the vector is better again. But personally I would go with the 840, non pro if you want to save some dollars.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have read miscellaneous reviews that weren't to favourable for the crucial drives, I haven't had any experiences with them but it was what stoped me from getting one.  I have an OCZ vertex 3 in my rig and I just put an 840 in my missus rig.  I can definitely vouch for all the good reports about the Samsung's and would highly recommend one. Seeing as the vertex 3 has been excellent to me I would assume the vector is better again. But personally I would go with the 840, non pro if you want to save some dollars.

Will you notice an improvement in boot times by going to the Pro? Sometimes theoretical bandwidth doesn't actually translate to real-world benefits

Will you notice an improvement in boot times by going to the Pro? Sometimes theoretical bandwidth doesn't actually translate to real-world benefits

I can't say as I have not used the pro, but I was very impressed with the non pro.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No you more than likely would not notice a large difference but you may notice the better write speeds on the pro

Asus Maximus VI Extreme, I7 4770K, NZXT Kraken X60, Kingston HyperXBeast DDR-3 2400, Sapphire 6950, NZXT Phantom 820, SanDisk 120Gb Extreme x2 in Raid, 2Tb WD Green, SeaSonic X-850 Gold

No you more than likely would not notice a large difference but you may notice the better write speeds on the pro

I will be using it as a boot drive/program drive for some games and applications like browsers and Microsoft Office. Based on this, will I purely be reading from the drive most of the time, or will write speeds matter as well?