Does Skyrim support SLI?

WhiteSkyMage

I just found this... http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GTX-980-3-Way-and-4-Way-SLI-Performance/Skyrim

and there are people using 2-SLI 980s with like 300+ mods. I don't get how do you get past the 3.1GB ram limit though...

So is it really fixed? Why i was told this game is bad with SLI? Is it possible to mod beyond 300mods? (i got 50 mods waiting now)

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

3.1GB RAM limit?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

The only time I've ever heard of SLI not scaling correctly or causing issues is when an ENB file isn't configured correctly, not with the raw game.

Skyrim supports SLI and CFX, however you need a beast of a CPU to not throttle high end cards. Skyrim massively requires single thread performance.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

3.1GB RAM limit?

Yes, watch this:

It can be solved by ENBooster, but then it is the Vram on a GPU which limits you.

The only time I've ever heard of SLI not scaling correctly or causing issues is when an ENB file isn't configured correctly, not with the raw game.

You mean ENBs like RealVision (since that's what I plan on using)?

Skyrim supports SLI and CFX, however you need a beast of a CPU to not throttle high end cards. Skyrim massively requires single thread performance.

Look at my signature... What is a better CPU than mine?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Try disabling every other thread in task manager to Skyrim and see if that helps a bit with performance. Keep each thread on its own core

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

Yes, watch this:

It can be solved by ENBooster, but then it is the Vram on a GPU which limits you.

Oh did you mean that it crashes at 3.1 GB system RAM? Sometimes I see people who say that a 32 bit game can't use more than 4GB between VRAM and RAM.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Oh did you mean that it crashes at 3.1 GB system RAM? Sometimes I see people who say that a 32 bit game can't use more than 4GB between VRAM and RAM.

But then, how would somebody have 300+ mods? Also, how come some people with Titans get all of their 6gb vram filled up?

I just found this... http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GTX-980-3-Way-and-4-Way-SLI-Performance/Skyrim

and there are people using 2-SLI 980s with like 300+ mods. I don't get how do you get past the 3.1GB ram limit though...

So is it really fixed? Why i was told this game is bad with SLI? Is it possible to mod beyond 300mods? (i got 50 mods waiting now)

As said before, enbooster fixes the RAM crash issue and comes integrated with all recent versions of ENB (I believe).  Instead you'll be able to utilise your VRAM instead, up to a certain amount (forget what the maximum figure it, but it's in the config files).   Don't know how it does it, some voodoo witchcraft probably.  You also need to configure your SKSE.ini to handle memory allocation correctly, but seeing as you've watched Gopher's vids you've probably already done that.  From what I've heard SLI with Skyrim requires disabling temporal AA (in the ENB settings I think).  Going beyond Super Saiyan 300 mods requires using wyrebash or a similar tool to merge mods together.  Skyrim has a limit on the number of ESPs, etc it can load.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

255 is the limit of esps.

Texture/mesh/enb mods usually don't have esps so, for the most part, graphics mods don't count towards that 255 cap.

ENBoost works by offloading all the graphics related stuff to a separate program, keeping your Skyrim.exe from hitting the 3.1GB cap (unless you got tons of scripts running in game, which takes a lot of mods)

All in a Semi Truck!:

Texture/mesh/enb mods usually don't have esps so, for the most part, graphics mods don't count towards that 255 cap.

ENBoost works by offloading all the graphics related stuff to a separate program, keeping your Skyrim.exe from hitting the 3.1GB cap (unless you got tons of scripts running in game, which takes a lot of mods)

There is no limit if you're using mod organizer.  That limit with steam workshop and I think it's still a limit with NMM (they've had a few new releases of late and I'm not sure anymore)

The 3.1 gig ram thing has patches for it all over the place.  Both ENboost and most notably in the current release of SKSE address it.

:edit: derp you specifically said esp and it didn't click for me the first time.  sorry you be correct.

But textures do take a lot of space (vram). In the end if you have 50 textures/meshes/graphics mods, they will take most of the vram on your gpu, and when you start adding other mods, you will still hit that 3.1gb limit...

There is no limit if you're using mod organizer.  That limit with steam workshop and I think it's still a limit with NMM (they've had a few new releases of late and I'm not sure anymore)

The 3.1 gig ram thing has patches for it all over the place.  Both ENboost and most notably in the current release of SKSE address it.

:edit: derp you specifically said esp and it didn't click for me the first time.  sorry you be correct.

3.1gb patches? Is it about increasing the crash limit from 3.1gb to some xx GB?

Yeah, you gotta keep an eye on your VRAM usage to make sure it doesn't hit the 4gb 32bit cap. Hopefully the next TES game is 64bit so we won't have to worry about memory caps anymore.

(also, not all textures are loaded at the same time, so a 4gb texture pack isn't going to take up near 4gb of VRAM, unless you find a way to load all assets in screen at the same time)

There is no limit if you're using mod organizer. That limit with steam workshop and I think it's still a limit with NMM (they've had a few new releases of late and I'm not sure anymore)

The 3.1 gig ram thing has patches for it all over the place. Both ENboost and most notably in the current release of SKSE address it.

:edit: derp you specifically said esp and it didn't click for me the first time. sorry you be correct.

The SKSE patch might raise it slightly higher than 3.1gb, but it's impossible to raise it past 4gb, because it's a 32bit program.

All in a Semi Truck!:

• 1 year later...
On March 17, 2015 at 4:59 AM, BobbyG2 said:

Hi, I know this is an old comment but do you mean that skyrim can't utilitize multiple cores? I'm just wondering because I have to choose between using my i5-4690K and my i7-5820K.