Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Without paying attention, I plugged in a 4 pin floppy into a fan connector on the motherboard... Luckily I had a Gigabyte board and it saved itself!

Without paying attention, I plugged in a 4 pin floppy into a fan connector on the motherboard... Luckily I had a Gigabyte board and it saved itself!
Gigabyte..... the Mistake fixer

Mentos..... the fresh maker ... yeh u get it :P

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

when I was doing my first build I put the RAM in backwards and broke the PCB on the RAM stick.
I also had the HDD SATA and power connecters facing the out side of the case :O

well I used a Hp computer for a long time before I built my own gaming rig, actually I am still using the 320gb drive from that hp for my os, but I bought a (don't laugh) vista computer. yeah vista didn't stay long, I ran ubuntu 9.10 I want to say and comp usa said that installing a different os voided my 3 year extended warranty
worse yet they closed about a year after I bought that rig at least in my city
Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

I bought a hella old AMD processor thinking it would fit in my Pentium 4 PC. Good times at age 10. My biggest regret after that? Buying a Pentium 4 PC over a Core 2 Duo because it was 400 MHz faster. T_T

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I plugged a 4 pin floppy connector into a CD aux connector on a sound card when I was quite young. The blue smoke that made the sound card work escaped.
Im totaly doing this to one of my old system just to see blue smoke lol

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Still waiting for someone to say : "I bought Windows 8".
I bought the $40 upgrade, but I don't consider it a mistake. :)

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Buying Palit GTX 460s. They're literally just as loud as a jet engine.
so they are 140 DBa at 100 feet?

Mine would be getting TN panel monitors for my dual monitor set up. I was too focused on saving money when I got them.
I bought a TN monitor and it's not THAT bad. It works and really wasn't bad for $100.

Not really a mistake but more unlucky. Last year I had severe chest pains the week leading up to term papers which were due on the Monday. The chest pain didn't go away till the Friday before. Till this time I was not well enough to get out of bed. The first thing that I did was that I went onto my computer to send an email to my parents letting them know why I haven't been in contact with them for a week. My hard disk drive decided to die soon after and not having backed up my data for around two weeks due to being sick, I lost most of my progress on my term papers. I ended up going to the library to madly complete the papers that weekend. Luckily I passed all my courses that semester and got a new hard disk drive soon after in the summer.
Thanks! I learned my lesson to make up my data more often.

Converting my 4 pin molex connectors with RJ-11 connectors and attaching a phone line splitter to my PSU end, those wires got real hot real fast lol. Another one would be strapping a socket 478 heating/fan onto my 6800gt, one day the rope i had tied it to the card with got loose and then bye bye gpu, although i did get a nice rainbow on my screen before it died :), oh yeah the card was over clocked. I was young what can I say :).

Plugged in an S-Video cord into PS/2 port accidently the day i got my computer, i was 10. Fried my board had to get a new one. Wasn't a fun time.

while (true) {

live();

}

I bought an hp desktop before I started building my own and hated it.
Did the same thin with a HP Laptop. money not well spent.

while (true) {

live();

}

Cant remember what series of Nvida card used to die after inserting a S-video but man was that lame, put svideo into my new card and bam lines all through screen so googled problem only to find out its a Nvidia fault. Never used s-video again.

the Cooler Master Elite 100 casing... i figured i would just buy one and VESA mount the casing to the back of the monitor of a office pc build thinking it would look cool. the problem came when the monitor is only 19 inch and the casing is almost as big as the monitor itself so the entire build looks funny. Also the weight of the casing with the parts inside has some weight to it so the entire thing looks like it would flip over anytime.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Buying the Z11 plus case from Zalman, the looks of the thing were pretty nice for what it costed me, but the longer I have one, the more it is starting to look to me like an ugly Transformer
Sorry, but I'm glad to hear that. It was my option when I was looking for new case.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Bad Buys:

Asrock+Athlon64 from local retailer. Could have got much more if I would known better retailer back then.

Antec PSU from another local retailer. Died after 2 months. Send it for RMA and it took them 2 months to get me new one. Never bought anything from them again.

And latest, 4x1gb of DDR2 memory for 20€ piece (~23$). I could have bought 2x2gb memory instead and upgrade it later.

Other mistakes:

I broke vga port in my older laptop. I drop new laptop to floor while usb wireless mouse was attached. Mouse usb stick broke. My rig is hanging under table. I had usb memory connected in one of top ports when I had to plug some cords again. So I pushed case away from wall and piece of table twisted stick and broke it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Socket 3 is stupid. I got my 486 PC about a year ago and the first thing I do is take the cpu out and look at it. Guess what, Socket 3 lets you insert the cpu in any direction and doesn't have the triangle or anything to tell you which way to put it in. So what did I do? Stick it in the wrong way and power it on, frying the CPU. Luckily the motherboard and all the other components worked fine, so I ordered a new CPU.
486?... my time machine works!!

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

Buying the Z11 plus case from Zalman, the looks of the thing were pretty nice for what it costed me, but the longer I have one, the more it is starting to look to me like an ugly Transformer
You're welcome! If i could choose again i would go for a far more elegant case, no bells and whistles.

|| CPU: Core i7 3770k @ 4.6gHz || RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mHz || GPU: nVidia GTX 670 ||

cheaped out and bought a 6850 instead of 560ti
Tell me about it.....

I have it and I like it,there are a few quirks,like the lack of a usb 3.0 mobo header,lack of cable management rubber grommets,non replaceable pci plates,cpu cutout not compatible with my motherboard making it useless.

but overall the case,in it's entirety is pretty great.designed for great airflow,plenty of room on reverse side fr cable routing,aesthetic appeal,room for decently sizable graphics card,large rubber feet to allow good airflow beneath the case for my 120mm fan and power supply fan.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Mine would be getting TN panel monitors for my dual monitor set up. I was too focused on saving money when I got them.
I did the same thing, now I'm running an IPS with TN's on the side

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

Buying a GT640 for my hackintosh and a 500W power supply. Should've gotten the 660Ti and have a PSU that had more upgradeability options.

-I switched the power input (240V or 120V?) of the PSU for my first build because I was curious. Then I turned it on and POOF.

-Tried to lower the voltage of my underclocked graphics card until it has too little power to drive the card.

-PC crashed and I had to force shut down the PC because I forgot to plug in the reset button into the MB jumper.

-Connect 9V battery to a USB stick to see which one is the one providing power and then I spoiled it since it doesn't support 9V electricity.

-Formatted a memory card on digital camera because I didn't know what "format" meant back then.

Bad investment:

-My current laptop(Dell XPS 13 2011 with 1st gen i7). Sandy bridge was released and the just solved the motherboard issue back in early 2011 so my friend suggested not to buy it since I'm bringing my laptop to college. I kinda regret it now because it's at least 1 generation older than other laptop and I could've bought the sandy bridge i7 by adding extra $30.

-This is unrelated to PC but I bought a Windows Mobile phone(v6.1 but can be upgraded to 6.5) back in 2009. Worst investment ever. Not much customization. Slow processor that can't cope up with the homescreen IU(or maybe just bad and laggy IU). Android was still in its infancy and I personally think iPhone 3GS was kinda overpriced(in Malaysia).

bought an asus windows mobile 6 pda back then too.. absolutely sucky...

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Still waiting for someone to say : "I bought Windows 8".
I have windows 8, Its good once you install a decent Start button.

"Mentally Unstable Like a Fox!"