Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Installing my brand new FX-8350 and forgot to plug the pump back in on the H60. I was wondering why it kept turning off everytime i turned the PC on, So i went into the BIOS and saw the temp rise very quickly and then turn off again. I felt pretty stupid for that one.

Fixing a computer for a family member. God i regret that lol i'm now the go to guy for everyone and everybody they know.

Story of my life. I'm in the IT department at my school, and every hour some teacher asks me something and I just wanna lecture them on why I really don't care about their problems and that they can fix them on their own. Then family and friends asking me to fix their PC's, phones, phone screens, Jailbreaking iPhones etc... If its a girl and she's fiiiiine then okay, but otherwise I'd better be getting paid a decent amount.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

I'd gotten £1000 off my nan for some weird reason and comp need shutting up, so I spunked a few hundred on my PC (and a bunch of the new comp repair business I'd recently started).

Was really after a Seasonic X series SS-850, however money had gotten stretched, so "saved" about £20 by going with an OCZ ZX 850.

It's now a shelf.

Thing was louder than my Hiper M Power 580 (which sounds like it's arcing at certain loads. Not very comforting), so grabbed a replacement Fan (Bit Fenix Spectre) and lobbed it in.

Hundreds of sudden power outages, failure to boot ups and a lot of testing later. I gave up and left the Arch reactor (which is what I like to call my Old PSU) in, which works absolutely fine (it had already had its fan transplanted with a..... thermalright something fan)

Moral of the story?

Don't try and save ~£20 if it's actually just going to cost you [checks invoice] £130.

Thankfully everything else I bought worked great, the system's inaudible at idle next to my head when I'm in bed (except HDDs)

Attached is list of what I'd bought in September 2011.stuff%20I%20bought%20with%20nans%20money

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

iPod touch 4th Generation 16Gb. I had no idea it only had 256Mb of RAM. After the iOS6 update it was painfully slow. I guess its my fault for not checking the specs first. There is probably a 50:50 chance that an app will crash after opening it.

| i7 3770k | Maximus V Gene | GTX 770 Lightning | 8GB Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz | Seasonic G550 |

Thermal take tr2 600w. Bought it as an emergency :(

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I loved my G35 ! Though now I have better headphones and I understand what I missed in sound quality but I miss the mic attached to it. Still used them until they broke.

I liked the G35 because your ears had so many space and the headphones didn't squeeze them

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

i built my computer.. and things i build usually catch fire... 

i lold

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

corsair tx750m psu, it said modular on the website, its not, its a standard psu with a few modular ports.

Thats semi-modular. They're just as good if not better. The cables youre going to need for any rig (like ATX and CPU power) arent modular), but the other crap like molex power is. 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I bought a Razer Lycosa only to have it break on me in like 2 days. Got it replaced and it broke the next day. I was really disappointed the second time as I was brought up thinking Razer was the best and all.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Thats semi-modular. They're just as good if not better. The cables youre going to need for any rig (like ATX and CPU power) arent modular), but the other crap like molex power is. 

This one has 24 pin, 8pin cpu, 2x8 pin vga, 1 string of molex and 1 string of sata fixed in, then it has a couple of ports for extra vga and molex/sata. its hardly modular at all which makes my job of cable sleeving a pain in the behind.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

RAT MMO 7.

Quite possibly the worst gaming mouse in the world. Should have known it as madcatz before I bought it. Mother#&% broke on the first day and when I RMA'd it the pieces were wobbly. Since I don't want to go through the trouble again I beared with it. The mouse itself was really uncomfortable and way too wide. The horrible button placement meant that grip was useless and the adjusting parts didn't do jack.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Mine was blackberry playbook. Its really lacking good support. Simply apps missing that would be nice to have kindle, lovefilm and 4OD

Intel 3570k @ 3.8ghz | MSI Z77 G43 | 16gb ddr3 Crucial Ballistix Sport | MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB
Corsair 120GB Force Series 3 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Fractal Design R3 | OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

RAT MMO 7.

Quite possibly the worst gaming mouse in the world. Should have known it as madcatz before I bought it. Mother#&% broke on the first day and when I RMA'd it the pieces were wobbly. Since I don't want to go through the trouble again I beared with it. The mouse itself was really uncomfortable and way too wide. The horrible button placement meant that grip was useless and the adjusting parts didn't do jack.

I had that mouse for about 4 days. It was really comfortable, but after the second day, the tracking got really glitchy. Every few minutes it would just stop registering movement for a second. I returned it and got a Logitech G400. In hindsight, I should have got a Zowie AM.

My worst mouse was the deathadder; I could never get a proper grip on that mouse, and the glossy sides were awful.

I had that mouse for about 4 days. It was really comfortable, but after the second day, the tracking got really glitchy. Every few minutes it would just stop registering movement for a second. I returned it and got a Logitech G400. In hindsight, I should have got a Zowie AM.

My worst mouse was the deathadder; I could never get a proper grip on that mouse, and the glossy sides were awful.

Comfortable? You must have large hands, cause it is wiiiiiiiiiiide.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Comfortable? You must have large hands, cause it is wiiiiiiiiiiide.

I do have large hands, and I find most mice to narrow. The only comfortable mouse I have ever had is my WMO 1.0, which is unusable because its sensor sucks.

They only have 256MB of RAM, right?

i really dont know, i never had more than 50 MB free...

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

Again: Apple...  :D

Never Apple again ... :DD still don't understand why many people stick to Apple...

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

Fully modular power supplies can be helpful. If your PSU fails, you can unplug the power cables from the PSU and send the unit in and not kill your cable management.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

When I was 12 I was a tech savvy everyone called me scientist. A friend (I thought he was) of mine asked for help His P4 had not the same speed and performance as mine did (we had the same hardware). I figured it out. Cleaned his 3 years of dust. formatted the PC. installed the software games drivers while cleaning I asked him to apply thermal paste buying from the market. After two days I called him that is he done applying fresh thermal paste he said he will do it and  He ran the PC for couple of weeks

I also taught him how to basic overclock when I was configuring drives from the bios( He clocked P4 2.4GHZ to 2.8 GHZ) THAT BIG FOOL forget to applt TIM and his CPU died. he blamed me for that telling that I ruined his rig. Complained that to his Parents. His parents came to my house and complain that to my parents (I was just a kid back than). My parents being very modest gave his parents the money (those days P4 costed a fortune) and only said me that next time be carefull (Love my parents).

That B@&!@%d. Did mistake himself and blamed on me. spread the news in the groups. Everyone asking how you destroyed the CPU?

From that day I did not Helped anyone except my dearest friends and family members.

When I was 12 I was a tech savvy everyone called me scientist. A friend (I thought he was) of mine asked for help His P4 had not the same speed and performance as mine did (we had the same hardware). I figured it out. Cleaned his 3 years of dust. formatted the PC. installed the software games drivers while cleaning I asked him to apply thermal paste buying from the market. After two days I called him that is he done applying fresh thermal paste he said he will do it and  He ran the PC for couple of weeks

I also taught him how to basic overclock when I was configuring drives from the bios( He clocked P4 2.4GHZ to 2.8 GHZ) THAT BIG FOOL forget to applt TIM and his CPU died. he blamed me for that telling that I ruined his rig. Complained that to his Parents. His parents came to my house and complain that to my parents (I was just a kid back than). My parents being very modest gave his parents the money (those days P4 costed a fortune) and only said me that next time be carefull (Love my parents).

That B@&!@%d. Did mistake himself and blamed on me. spread the news in the groups. Everyone asking how you destroyed the CPU?

From that day I did not Helped anyone except my dearest friends and family members.

People always bugger things up and blame other people, also how did he kill that Pentium 4, I thought they'd shut down before they overheated?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Mine was when I turned off a windows software raid 1 and thereby lost the Master Boot Record for both drives.  Oops.  Thankfully I found some software that rebuilt the MBR, but for several days I had that disgusting feeling where I thought I had lost a decade of pictures and videos by being a total putz.

Never Apple again ... :DD still don't understand why many people stick to Apple...

Peer pressure...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

People always bugger things up and blame other people, also how did he kill that Pentium 4, I thought they'd shut down before they overheated?

Yes mine once shut down itelf as it overheated.

He may had apply to much voltage

I have 5 dogs in my home. and I also want a cat.

3:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015