Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Worst recent mistake was to think Asus support is able to do simple repairs.

When my monitor fan was getting louder (likely a fan just before failing) i contacted Asus Germany. It was still in warranty so i thought that was the right thing to do. They made me send my monitor in for "repair", but ended up sending me a new one instead of repairing my otherwise perfectly working monitor. I'm on the 2nd replacement now and both replacements have been DOA (1x dead, 1x damaged). I wonder if my original monitor is scrapped by now because they couldn't be bothered with a repair.

In case you're wondering the monitor in question is the Asus PG35VQ, for which i paid 1700€ while on sale. So apparently high-end products don't come with high-end support. And even with such an expensive product they rather send out replacements (that apparently don't go through quality control) before doing a simple fan repair, one of the easiest repairs on a monitor.

In the future i'll only buy Asus products through sellers like Amazon, where i won't have to deal with their support directly if something ever goes wrong.

Edit: Asus support also offered a refund after the 2nd failed replacement. But they said the money would go to the retailer and i'll have to manage it from there, plus it'd take up to 8 weeks to process. So here i am waiting for the 3rd replacement monitor, seeing if they manage to fuck it up a 3rd time in a row.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Last year I threw lots of retro GPUs I had in the trash thinking they were worthless and now I regret the decision a lot because most of those GPUs were much better than the one that's in my main setup

I bought an early Travan tape backup. I wasted more time trying to get that POS to work without the tape tangling.

Buying a gtx 1650 at 500 euros,i cant even run roblox and gta at 60fps,the only game that does more that 100fps is fortnite on low settings.LMAOO

Buying a FX 8320E instead of a 2600K (at the time they were at the same price)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Booted up an old HDD i had and the first thing it did was say "klonk and smoke" so now im not sure im getting my 1.5TB of data.. or rather my 200gb of.. Pictures.

Kinda sad 😞

Rest in Piece ol' 2TB HDD.. My first big HDD.

Gonna miss ya PAL, even with the screeches you made about half your life.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

3 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Booted up an old HDD i had and the first thing it did was say "klonk and smoke" so now im not sure im getting my 1.5TB of data.. or rather my 200gb of.. Pictures.

Well, you could bring it to a company that could swap over the platters to one which does not klonk and smoke

On 11/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, BuckGup said:

Only took killing 2 V100s

Thats not good

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well, you could bring it to a company that could swap over the platters to one which does not klonk and smoke

Got it quoted for 90 to 210€. Might actually do that 😅

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

building a new computer right now without being able to upgrade the gpu, complete waste of money.

I flipped the low profile red switch of a psu while it was plugged in, wondering what it was. Learned it the hard way.

33 minutes ago, mwagen said:

building a new computer right now without being able to upgrade the gpu, complete waste of money.

I think that's what most of us are doing in this day of age.. Not stupid if you needed an upgrade and you had an older computer.

Meanwhile I did the opposite and paid 1800€ with a 10% coupon for a 3080 ti and I kind of regret not going 2500 for a 3090 🤣

I don't exactly hate or regret, but rather annoyed with my AMD GPU and lately with my new AMD system in general. Felt like I had less annoying issues when I was using Intel and Nvidia.
Another thing is probably one of the early generation iPod touches. It was cool af back then. Others had them, so I wanted too. Soon after getting mine a new generation launched. I used the iPod for a while, but it has been collecting dust now for many years.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, Digidream said:

I flipped the low profile red switch of a psu while it was plugged in, wondering what it was. Learned it the hard way.

Voltage switch? TBF, I had never seen one until I bought myself a cheap bench PSU for very basic DIY.

1 hour ago, Just that Mario said:

Voltage switch? TBF, I had never seen one until I bought myself a cheap bench PSU for very basic DIY.

Yup, it didn't take the European 220V too kindly. Awesome smoke effect though!

- Dell XPS M1330, because "gaming laptop" - motherboard was replaced 3 time lol, should have bought either cheap or business grade laptop.

- GPU upgrades on MacBookPros, because "want to game, via bootcamp" - should have saved the upgrade money towards dedicated gaming rig.

- cheaping out on quality dongles, because who cares - payed more cumulatively.

- not caring about backups until HDD failed with a decade worth of memories...

After getting a USB WiFi adapter for my new PC, I checked out my family's old set top box and discovered it had a usb port and wondered if i plugged it in, would i get WiFi for the box? So i plugged it in without second thought and learnt the hard way to check the spec of usb port you're plugging something into, because turns out it was simply a plug for power through usb which ended up in the adapter being fried instantly (In my defense the box had an Ethernet plug) 

The 00s were right, transparent tech is the best

Leaving a lose screw inside my case when I was much younger thinking it won't do any harm until one day my PC wouldn't start. Motherboard was shorted. Was a learning experience for sure, hehe. 

I tried fixing my old laptop (Asus K53SC-SX404V) a few years ago. A blue piece fell of the power button cable but it didn't seem important. I powered it on and... Magic smoke. After that it had a brown spot on the motherboard and the connector burnt away a little bit but luckily after replacing the cable all pins were still there except for the one for the power button LED.

So I needed to test my computer parts right, because my RX 580 wasn't working (ended up being dead only after 6 months, RIP).

And what I did was that I ended up switching the CPUs as maybe I thought the CPUs were the problem. Pulling off the cooler from the other desktop was easy as the paste was all dried up, now pulling the cooler off the broken system was also easy since it wasn't too sticky.

However, when I placed one of the CPU's into the socket (forgot which system and all), I placed the cooler on top, now the cooler actually slid a bit on the CPU as I had not screwed it in place or anything yet. So what happened was that I began to pull on the cooler thinking that it could just come off, but it would not. I pulled harder and then it ripped the poor Ryzen out of the AM4 socket.

First time this has ever happened to me and I kinda freaked out. So I tried to slide the CPU off the cooler but it was like it was vacuum sealed. I ended up doing something to it to get it off, either using a Phillips head or I think a hair dryer to loosen the grip. This worked and the CPU came off.

The CPU came off...........

And it fell, I looked and I saw a bent pin.......................................................

Luckily I remembered watching one of Linus' videos in where he fixed bent pins XD

And so the process began, I used a Phillips head screw driver (very small) to very carefully pull the bent pin back.

I put it into the system and it worked.

That was probably the closest I have ever been to having a heart attack.

Getting a 3080Ti last June and losing interest in gaming, or having interest but for things like the GTA remastered trilogy, which obviously would have run on my old 1080Ti. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti