Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mitch

Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Dropped an x99 CPU from eye height onto the pins of the motherboard  (accidentally)  Good news though Amazon shipped me a new one  at no cost. 

1 minute ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I killed a delidded, unglued 4790K by accidentally letting the IHS make contact with the SMDs on the chip.

got a refund?

HI, if you liked what i said then please like

5 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Destroyed a motherboard because I didn´t use the standoffs. This was pre youtube

Haha, I did the same thing about 20 years ago.  Luckily I was able to return the board claiming it was DOA and did it right the second time.

4 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

you know we can right-click the link

Middle clicking your scroll wheel automatically opens a new tab ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Friend and I found a broken CRT. We smashed it with a giant rock, didn't expect it to implode as loudly as it did so we took off. Turns out police showed up in the area to investigate possible gunfire lol.

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Why is there 3 ways to do this.

Right click

Ctrl + Click

Middle scroll wheel

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

Just now, TVwazhere said:

my scroll wheel is broken ?

HI, if you liked what i said then please like

2 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

got a refund?

Your warranty is voided if you delid

what did i start? 

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Probably my biggest mistake was getting the wrong RAM kit for a PC I was working on for a friend, not entirely my fault as the documentation on that machine was a little hazy.

1 hour ago, Majinhoju said:

Haha, I did the same thing about 20 years ago.  Luckily I was able to return the board claiming it was DOA and did it right the second time.

I did the exact thing and it was also around this time ? Also worked the second time ?

This happen about almost 2 years ago IIRC. Anyway, I had my front-panel connectors on my mobo, and for some reason I though "Hmm, what would happen if I put these in a different part on the mobo?"

Long story short, I started playing Doom 2, and about 1 minute in I see some smoke coming from the inside of my case. I pause the game, and look inside, and then less than 30 seconds later, I see actual flames in my motherboard. I quickly yank my power cord out, and take out my front-panel connectors. Fortunately, nothing is really damaged, and I'm later able to play my games just fine.

me little kid,

13 yr old worked 7 Month with newspapers,

ordered a Geforce 4600 TI,

happy AF when it arrived,

put it out of the Box,

joyfully turn around to PC,

stumbled over Powercord,

it flew trough the Room,

mfw

thomas-the-tank-engine-face-png-1.png

I run an I9 9900K @ 5.3GHz on my Asus Apex XI with a kit Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-4133,CL19 

with my new EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 2195/1300

all cooled by my Hailea 500a waterchiller 

Port Royal

TimeSpyExtreme

Superposition 1.0 4K Optimized (1x GPU)

I bought Windows Vista back in the day for my Phenom II x6 instead of WIndows 7 as it was cheaper and boy did I regret that choice.

Gaming PC: i7 9700k | Noctua NH-D15 | 2x Asus STRIX GTX 980 DirectCU II SLI | Asus Prime Z370-A | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz | Corsair RM850X | Asus Rog Swift 165 Hz | LG 27UD58 4K | Phanteks Enthoo Primoo

Workstation PC: i7 9900k | NZXT Kraken x62 | ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | PNY Quadro RTX 5000 | Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Seaonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650 W | 4 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

Server 1: (Web server ) 2x Intel Xeon X5650 6c 12t (Total 12c/24t) | Supermicro X8DT6 | 128 GB DDR3 ECC | AMD Radeon R7 250 | SuperMicro PWS-1K21P-1R  Redundant 1200W PSU | 1 TB 840 Evo | 4 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro | Fedora Server

Server 2: (Home File Server): i5 2500k | P8P67 Pro | 16 GB DDR3 2133|  Corsair TX750 ATX SLI | XFX Radeon HD 6950 | 2x 4 TB Toshiba X300 | 2x 1 TB Seagate Barracuda | 256 GB 860 EVO | Unraid  

Emulation System 1: Raspberry Pi 3 B, RetroArch on Raspbian with 8Bitdo Wireless controller

Emulation System 2: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black Edition | ASUS Crosshair III Formula | 8 GB DDR3 1600 | 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 1 TB | 128 GB Toshiba OCZ SSD | Windows 7 Ultimate x64,  Xbox 360 Controller

I plugged a PCIe network card into a pc while it was on. The slot never worked so I either fried it or it was broken from the start (used mobo in a non-standard case so it was slightly bent)

I wanted to figure out if a LED I had worked so I jammed it into a usb-b cable (plugged into my PC) and managed to short the 5v line into one of the data lines. Thankfully the motherboard has polyfuses so after a restart the port works again.

I am not sure if this fits in but when I was younger I opened an exe program with notepad. And guess what, it got set as default so every program was basically a notepad and only the music was working to launch in winamp that is. Because I didn't have the knowledge I had to send it somewhere to get windows reinstalled. I haven't done it since.

Once I was trying to screw something in above the gpu (I forgot what) and was too lazy to turn my pc off. The screw driver fell out of my hand and landed on the gpu...zap! There went my gpu. This was long before back plates were common.

Only thing I can think of was many years ago 

PC keep cutting out as soon as it was switched on, spent fucking ages trying to troubleshoot it

Turns out that a molex connector in the back was perfectly aligned with the screw hole for the side panel... So everytime i put the side panel on, it would short out

44 minutes ago, StrangeOue said:

My friend told me to bring my neodymium magnet to his house. So I did. What happened after that will make me laugh with regret until I do something worse than this.

He wanted me to place the magnet on the back on the case. I did. He then asked, "Wanna turn it on?", I said yes with a slight giggle. It posted for a few seconds and then the motherboard started to make an odd smell, so we looked inside the case and heard some of the circuits make a funny noise, after that, a puff of smoke came out the circuit and we both laughed for a couple of minutes, then realising the motherboard was dead.

This happened a few years ago. So some details might be exaggerated.

giphy.gif

On 1/4/2019 at 4:57 PM, Big Boi Lime said:

I dropped my CPU in the toilet the other day...it works fine now xD

how in the flying fuck did you do that. Ive killed 3 phones from a swim in the toilet but a cpu... wth..

If you have any questions about ultra high end audio (Or any speakers or speaker gear!), don't be afraid to shoot me a message, or mention me.

Yes my audio stuff is 800,000 USD, I'm a dedicated audiophile/mastering engineer

(If you want to see my audio stuff, check my profile, it's too much to list here.)

On 11/11/2018 at 12:08 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Buying a a8-6410 laptop. That thing runns 60 degrees on idle (celcius)

My hp laptop with an amd a8 is like a friggin hot plate on the keyboard.. you can tell where the cpu is lol..

If you have any questions about ultra high end audio (Or any speakers or speaker gear!), don't be afraid to shoot me a message, or mention me.

Yes my audio stuff is 800,000 USD, I'm a dedicated audiophile/mastering engineer

(If you want to see my audio stuff, check my profile, it's too much to list here.)