Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch
3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I still use my Antec 1200 too! It's just such an insane case I refuse to replace it, also it was a birthday gift from my dad. And if I do ever replace it, that's going to be one insane server like, the front being basically all 5.25' bays, damn.

If you don't have USB 3 on the front from the V3 1200, you can order them as a replacement part from Antec

http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000147235-gaming-series-spare-parts-list

It was like $25(?) or something like that and totally worth the upgrade to make the case slightly more modern.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

If you don't have USB 3 on the front from the V3 1200, you can order them as a replacement part from Antec

http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000147235-gaming-series-spare-parts-list

It was like $25(?) or something like that and totally worth the upgrade to make the case slightly more modern.

I wish I knew this earlier...

Do they wear out over time due to the weird angle? Mine has 2 usb2.0 ports and both are borked because anything you plug in hangs and wears out the port and now they only work when I push the usb cable, which is annoying...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

I wish I knew this earlier...

Do they wear out over time due to the weird angle? Mine has 2 usb2.0 ports and both are borked because anything you plug in hangs and wears out the port and now they only work when I push the usb cable, which is annoying...

I'm pretty sure they do or at least the USB 2 ports. I haven't had issues with the 3.0 ports yet.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

As a young teenager, bought a new Sata DVD Writer without checking. Was very upset when I remembered my Motherboard only had IDE headers.

My first gaming PC was an AMD APU (5700 non overclockable) combined with an EVGA GTX FTW 660 GPU.

The GPU didn't like my PSU, which was a Seasonic, and the APU was crap as a CPU.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

uh wanting a Mac for no reason

blame my elementary school for saying macs are amazing for everyone

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

trying to put an i7-2600k with a Radeon HD 7310.

my terrible laptop: CPU: i5-2450M at 2.60 ghz base (however goes up to 3.30 ghz on any steam game i run. odd.) GPU: integrated Quadro NVS 4200m (garbage. the reason that this is terrible.) 6GB of ram, 300GB HDD. refurbished Dell Latitude Esomething. got it for like 140 bucks on amazon.

5 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I still use an old acer aspire one with a 1.6Ghz solo-core atom CPU with HT because I just love netbooks.

Like, it currently has a triple-boot config, it runs Ubuntu* (it's some lightweight version, dunno what exactly but it gets updates so it should be safe?), windows 7 starter that's still not properly updated after all those weeks and the god of OS's, XP! Yes I sometimes go online with it while I'm using XP, yea I love being a rebel. (not really but like, if it goes wrong I don't care)

Also, it has a 120gig ssd! Even tho it's slow AF! And I use a 64 gig microsd for extra storage because cheapskate.

It's like a perfect mix of everything you shouldn't really do, but I did it anyway. And I LOVE it!

I still use my Antec 1200 too! It's just such an insane case I refuse to replace it, also it was a birthday gift from my dad. And if I do ever replace it, that's going to be one insane server like, the front being basically all 5.25' bays, damn.

https://www.newegg.com/silver-black-cooler-master-stacker-810-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811119092

You want to hunt down one of those. I have one, it's massive.

I have a netbook as well, 2 actually. I rarely use either because the keyboard is too cramped for me, but one is a dual core 1.6Ghz Atom N570. I got a bigger battery for it and the battery really does last for almost even when just browsing or 480p Youtube, but it's just too small.

screw mobo directly to case without standoffs and wondering why it won't turn on. thankfully nothing burned out

Worst by far has to be not having a backup plan back when consumers didn't really have practical backup capabilities. Lost thousands of photos when a post-lifetime-warranty WD drive failed (the last one I ever bought) about 3 months outside of warranty. This was in 2002.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

17 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Also this is just a load of check boxes you uncheck during installation and you're done. It's not like you have to spend hours uninstalling adware or something. 

There are a number of other features and settings I have to dive in and disable post installation for the kind of security the organization that employs me desires. 

Some other stuff I hate about Windows 10 though

Startup options being moved from msconfig to Task Manager annoys me every day

The online first search from the Win button versus local files first

Having to actively disable Windows from having a Microsoft Edge advertisement on the lock screen that will open Edge if you click on it

Microsoft Office being moved to a subscription based model versus a one time purchase (this is more my disagreement with Microsoft's business practices, but I'm including it)

The pre-installed applications I don't want including the Xbox stuff.

Insistence I set up a OneDrive and put my data on Microsoft's cloud

Certain older book applications no longer support multiple viewing modes in Windows 10 over Windows 7 and are now locked to one viewing model and it is infuriating. 

There's a lot of stuff I like about Windows 10 in terms of it's additional security functionality, DX12, and a number of behind the scenes improvements they made that have somehow improved the battery life of our laptops that were upgraded, but as a personal OS, I just don't want it.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Cutting PSU cables while trying to cut ziptie, but customer was an asshole and shouldn't use all the cables, so no harm done.. lol. Also I was very tied that day.. I'm not working in a PC store anymore.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

GPU fan died so had to attach a spare 3 pin fan to a 2pin closed header. Wired up the 2pin cable reverse polarity and didn't notice until I could smell the PCB.

Swapped the pins round and everything's tickety boo - lucky result!

3 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

Microsoft Office being moved to a subscription based model versus a one time purchase (this is more my disagreement with Microsoft's business practices, but I'm including it)

Yeah I don't like 365 either, but you can also just get office as a one time purchase like in the olden days. 

Edit: you have to dig for a bit, but it's still there; https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?&activetab=tab%3aprimaryr1 the one on the right.

43 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Yeah I don't like 365 either, but you can also just get office as a one time purchase like in the olden days. 

Edit: you have to dig for a bit, but it's still there; https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?&activetab=tab%3aprimaryr1 the one on the right.

One time purchase does not include Access, Publisher, or Outlook. For my personal use, sure, but for a business operation this is unacceptable

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Spelling mistake during setup (typed wrong IP - IP already assigned to something else). 1/2 of the entire network went offline. Had to reset a switch.

I almost shorted out a motherboard because I used the wrong screws. Always make sure you use the right screws, or the system will not work. They make a difference.

Specs of The Battlestation:             CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X             Motherboard: AORUS AX-370 Gaming 5             RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz

Case: NZXT H710                           Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Hybrid             Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W Gold+  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Built 7 custom machines. Resident Tech Support Agent. Proficient in C#, JavaScript, and Sindarin Elvish. Loyal Member of House Ravenclaw. Ask me a question about hardware, and I can probably answer it.

2 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

One time purchase does not include Access, Publisher, or Outlook. For my personal use, sure, but for a business operation this is unacceptable

Yes that sucks. 

• 7 months later...

Not PC related but I showed one of my friends how to connect the DSi to the internet to play some online matches.

So... It required an update. His R4 Card stopped working because the DSi was updated.

And for PC, I uninstalled my integrated graphics driver to connect my dedicated GPU as the main card for the monitor, but it was a laptop. However, the Laptop was directly connected to the iGPU.

So I had like 5h trying to make my screen come back to life since everytime I booted into windows it went black. (I was 13y/o)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

Years ago (2009-ish) I had an old system with some kind of problem, would only boot around half the time and couldn't figure out why.  So after a couple of cocktails one day I decided that I should break it down, clean and re-seat everything and see if that helped.

So, while putting it back together I found myself having some trouble putting the RAM chips back in and having to use a fair bit of force, but it all clicked in fine so no problems, right?

Ever tried to turn on a PC with the RAM chips installed backwards? 

I'd never seen smoke pour out of a motherboard like that, and still haven't since (and just lost a PSU to an exploding chip a few months ago which tripped all the breakers in my flat). Turns out I'd acually snapped off both the little plastic tabs that sit in the RAM socket I'd put so much pressure onto them when trying to force the chips in, and completely fried the mobo, CPU and RAM in the process.

Obvious moral of the story: Don't drink and build PC's folks!

I was working on this late 2000's SFF PC. The drive cage is on hinges that let it fold out 90 degrees for easy access, well I didn't realize the SATA cables were secured down with clips. Rest in peace $50 hard drive. Actually not quite, I superglued it back together and I now use it was a testing drive for my random experiments, somehow it's held up for dozens of plugs/unplugs.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Built a PC while the mining craze is still going strong. Had to overpay by about 200-300$ vs the original price. Fu*k me.

I installed ryzen master. Worst mistake ever. I had to do a windows reset after 2 weeks of trying to figure out what was wrong. I uninstalled ryzen master but its 'smart overclock' was still in effect, corrupting my bios and causing issues. Since i dont know too much about computer and my games were installed on another drive anyways, i had to resort to windows reset. Now, everything is working properly again. Im now doing manually overclocking in bios and not a single issue. 

Well, when I was younger, I fancied myself a bit of a computer expert when I still didn't know that much. I had the passion but lacked experience or real know how about doing things on the computer. Most of my experience was software related which I was actually decent at. Installing Windows, taking care of viruses, and fixing problems for myself and others was something I could do but I had no hardware experience.

Anyway, my dad finally bought a powerful computer one day. I can't remember much anymore but it was like a 500 MHz computer (yes, that was powerful at the time) and this was when 600 MHz or so was finally coming out. So yeah, it was still a beefy machine. I remember being able to walk into the game aisle and pretty much buy any game and know it would run, at least from a CPU and memory perspective. I never had any issues with the graphics not being powerful enough though.

Anyway. one day I decided to take the machine apart just to look around. I did this on a carpeted floor. I took the CPU out of its socked, looked at it, and put it back in. I didn't even put new thermal past on it for the heat-sink and fan. I was that much of a noob. I put everything back together and the machine would not boot. I can't remember all the details anymore but I have a strong suspicion that I fried the CPU or something.

I can't remember how old I was. I'm 34 now and like I said, this was back in the 500-600 MHz days. I was young and dumb. I never really told my dad the truth of why the computer wouldn't work until quite some time after. He actually wasn't that mad and just said something like "Oh, that was great of you".

Oh, the other great mistake I made was spilling a glass of water on my laptop and ruining it. This was only about a year ago. I had the glass on a shelf over my bed and reached for the glass and of course, it slipped and fell on my laptop keyboard. I was so sad.